Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I'm at it again chasing down noises!

I have a clicking sound or ticking if you will when going over uneven pavement with coilovers on. On stock suspension you dont hear it.

On stock suspension I get steering wheel shimmy at highway speeds. The shake is less prominent when lowered on coilovers.

- Shimmy is always there on summer tires and winter tires.
- Preload is set properly on coils
- Top nut is tight on coils
- Endlinks are tight
- Every other bolt in the suspension is tight

Keep in mind:

- All upper and lower ball joints are brand new
- All bushings in the LCA are new.
- All end links have been replaced with MOOG parts
- New FSB bushings installed

Now in the winter I had the inner CV boot rip on me, drove on it ripped 2 weeks after I noticed it (who knows how long it was ripped before I noticed)

I took a video to show it seems like there's some play when moving the axle up and down (see video)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yo1vLyqppig" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Advice?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
on my civic i got that vibration at higher speeds - had to replace R drive axle and boot as it was torn and leaking , also replaced both the outer tie rods = fixed the problem
thanks for the insight.. i'm primarily wondering if the worn inner cv joint could cause the ticking/clicking noise when going over bumps

can anyone shed some light?

·
My car whines
637 Posts
my passenger inner cv joint makes the same noise when moved in and out but I don't remember if it made that noise when it's moved up and down...I don't have any clicking/clunking noises going over bumps though. Do you have any vibration when accelerating? Usually that's one of the most common symptoms when the inner cv joint is done.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my passenger inner cv joint makes the same noise when moved in and out but I don't remember if it made that noise when it's moved up and down...I don't have any clicking/clunking noises going over bumps though. Do you have any vibration when accelerating? Usually that's one of the most common symptoms when the inner cv joint is done.
in and out I know it is normal but up and down i can't seem to remember if thats also normal... The thing I noticed is that the amount it moves up and down on both sides is not equal.

The passenger side (where the boot ripped) has alot more up and down play than the opposite side.

in terms of under acceleration.. not that I have been able to notice. There is constant vibration at highway speeds throughout the entire car (not just in the steering wheel)

·
My car whines
637 Posts
tbh, i have never heard that bad inner cv joints can causing clicking noises; that's usually associated with the outer joint. you said that the noise is only there with your coilovers installed so are you sure they are correctly installed and/or not blown? either that, maybe the stiffer ride due to the coilovers is causing stuff like heatshields, dust shields, or other things to rattle around.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Without driving the car I can't say for certain if that is the cause (or partial cause) of the noise you're experiencing at work. However, that is an excessive amount of play for the inner joint on any vehicle.

If you brought that here to work we would definitely recommend replacement, regardless if it were the noise issue or not. That is NOT normal.

Take the car to a 50 MPH cruising speed in 5th (not 6th) gear. Once you're cruising in 5th at 50mph, go full throttle and listen for knocking/ticking/etc. You may have a lot of vibration as well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey, a little late here but I have literally the exact same issue on my 11' TSX. Wondering if you ever found a fix for this as I am about to pull the trigger on new axle joints/boots. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.