Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, thank you for reading the post for I am limited in my information on the results of bolt on mods and hope to learn from this process. I had VitViper tune my TSX after the following mods listed below:

40* VTC, CT-E Header and modded OEM Airbox with K&N filter drop.

Lets just say this completely changed the the TSX. It was a different car with great power and great MPG too (unreal shock there and love it). Started reading up on my way to get power out of the TSX, every post and all readings lead me to Exhaust and CAI. I had VitViper tune my TSX after installing the following mods:

Injen CAI, Apex WS2 Exhaust

The new Calibration was minor touch ups...nothing to crazy and didn't net nearly what the numbers all show. Exhaust states 10 to 15 HP and CAI states the same gain in HP. So my thinking would be at least a 10 HP gain when all the data supports 20 HP gain. So, now I am kicking myself for I dropped a large amount of $$ for super small gains. I am almost ready to part out the CAI and Exhaust to put the OEM back on with a Comptech airbox setup. Is my thinking wrong or is that to maybe setup for a SC or IM later down the line?

PS....Special thanks to VitViper for a great tune and all is help with outstanding hardd work.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Highly doubt bout 10hp on catback, usually 2-3. I tried absolutely straight one without chambers sounds like a devil and got 5-6. BTW , its widely known fact that catback isnt for gains on our car , mostly for look and sound. Avg cai gains r 5-7 hp, never seen 10 off any of em.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
^ I agree, if you were cam'd than yeah youd see more gains since you want more flow but on a stock motor your only gonna see a few hp. What about doing header back? Youll see alot more with that.

Our header is really really restrictive compared to a tubular design. With I/H/E (granted my exhaust is basically straight through) RBC intake mani and J35 TB (stock 05 cams and 25* VTC) im sitting around 220whp(IATs were 91*). K's dont have one mod that just makes all the power, you gotta stack your mods and all of them together is how you make power. Id look into the RBC or RRC mani with a J37 TB (I think the J35 is the same size as the stock 06-08). After installing my RBC and TB I had to add somewhere between 5-7% more fuel in my WOT columns than with the RBB.

Do you have any dynos of the car? Or even the datalogs before and after your mods?

EDIT: since you have the better cam profile you will see a bit more power if you do header back exhaust, CAI, and an Intake mani and TB swap with a full tune. Id say you could possibly be in the 230 range.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^ I agree, if you were cam'd than yeah youd see more gains since you want more flow but on a stock motor your only gonna see a few hp. What about doing header back? Youll see alot more with that.

Our header is really really restrictive compared to a tubular design. With I/H/E (granted my exhaust is basically straight through) RBC intake mani and J35 TB (stock 05 cams and 25* VTC) im sitting around 220whp(IATs were 91*). K's dont have one mod that just makes all the power, you gotta stack your mods and all of them together is how you make power. Id look into the RBC or RRC mani with a J37 TB (I think the J35 is the same size as the stock 06-08). After installing my RBC and TB I had to add somewhere between 5-7% more fuel in my WOT columns than with the RBB.

Do you have any dynos of the car? Or even the datalogs before and after your mods?

EDIT: since you have the better cam profile you will see a bit more power if you do header back exhaust, CAI, and an Intake mani and TB swap with a full tune. Id say you could possibly be in the 230 range.

I have all those items above...I also wish to keep the OEM IM to keep low end Tq that is lost in RBC. The 06-08 TB is 64mm from my understanding, which is large enough for the OEM IM. I already have the header, VTC gear and full tune.

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
tottenham is right. the results are the sum of all your parts together, and that will involve some mixing/matching, trial/error, and testing.

you could always bore your stock IM to 70MM and get the j37 TB to see what the results might be. all the parts would be OEM and the TB should be a direct swap. you just might need the adaptor/big bore spacer from karcepts or p2r and the right gaskets to make it fit.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tottenham is right. the results are the sum of all your parts together, and that will involve some mixing/matching, trial/error, and testing.

you could always bore your stock IM to 70MM and get the j37 TB to see what the results might be. all the parts would be OEM and the TB should be a direct swap. you just might need the adaptor/big bore spacer from karcepts or p2r and the right gaskets to make it fit.
What I am not 100% clear on is the value of upgrading the IM to a RRC with a 70mm TB or SC it. I like front end power and TQ and understand the IM would be like a turbo (vtec surge). However, does the IM upgrade yeild more HP and TQ with great MPG or does the SC yeild more with less issues.

Also, really thinking of pulling the CAI off and replacing with something less noisy....that thing is twice as loud as the exhaust.

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
more air flow should yield better breathing for your engine and hopefully better results.

again, every set up is different, but there are people on the forum running the RRC and bigger bore TB with good results. but some are also NA builds. if you just want instant HP/torque without messing with a mix of bolt-on's and upgrading cams, just get the supercharger.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
I have all those items above...I also wish to keep the OEM IM to keep low end Tq that is lost in RBC. The 06-08 TB is 64mm from my understanding, which is large enough for the OEM IM. I already have the header, VTC gear and full tune.
Get the RRC, Hondata or P2r gaskets and the J37 TB. Get a partial throttle E tune and a WOT Dyno tune. You wont loose much low end tq if any with the bigger VTC you have and the RRC mani.

Also are you running the stock header? if not which one? are you running a cat?

If your still not happy it would be time for some cams and maybe some boost :p

Wouldnt be worth it, someone tried it and it was a complete waste of time and money :/

What I am not 100% clear on is the value of upgrading the IM to a RRC with a 70mm TB or SC it. I like front end power and TQ and understand the IM would be like a turbo (vtec surge). However, does the IM upgrade yeild more HP and TQ with great MPG or does the SC yeild more with less issues.

Also, really thinking of pulling the CAI off and replacing with something less noisy....that thing is twice as loud as the exhaust.
Your modding your car, the further you push it the louder its going to be lol theres no real way to make a low displacement motor make alot of power without being loud. (its really hard at least). IF you want it to be quite the SC would be your best option. To be honest I didnt loose much low end tq with my mani, but what I gained up top is insane. Tuning is everything and an e tune is only going to get you about 80% of what the car has to offer at WOT. If you want to extract everything your car has than a dyno tune is needed!

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
do you have a link to the RBB/J37 tb test?

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
it shows the ported RBB with a matching 06-08 TB made gains over all the non-ported ones. am i missing something here?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I like front end power and TQ and understand the IM would be like a turbo (vtec surge).

I have a few ideas relating to your OP and the above -

1, Vtec surge will never be like a turbo of any decent size. The two are very different in function and feel. Vtec will give you some torque but not the neck-snapping power that a turbo will bring.

2, Header/pulley/intake will add a bit of power here and there, but if you ever want serious power that you can feel dramatically, you are going to have to spend a few thousand dollars at least, there is no way around this if you want to safely mod your car.

3, Max power and torque in the TSX will almost always (the exception is super/turbocharging which bring hp/tq on earlier) bring the noise that you dislike because in order to hit your peak hp/tq range you're going to have to wind the engine up which brings some noise. I have read a dozen reviews of Honda/Acuras with Vtec engines and the common complaint is that you don't get into any real power unless the engine is way up in the rev band, which naturally brings noise.

It sounds like you need to sell your TSX and buy a WRX or MS3 to get what you want.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great points and know my car will never been like an WRX. I love my ride and please don't get my posts wrong on the idea of how great the TSX is.... My goal is to keep the car the way it is until it hits 100K, then I will upgrade the timing chain with ten. and SC for fun. It is peppy just the way it is, but really shocked more on the noise effect with no real extra power. Like I made my car 3X louder then it was before for 5 HP gain. Understand that if I go SC that I will need the CAI, but for what I have now...I really am thinking of switch it back.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Get the RRC, Hondata or P2r gaskets and the J37 TB. Get a partial throttle E tune and a WOT Dyno tune. You wont loose much low end tq if any with the bigger VTC you have and the RRC mani.

Also are you running the stock header? if not which one? are you running a cat?

If your still not happy it would be time for some cams and maybe some boost :p

Wouldnt be worth it, someone tried it and it was a complete waste of time and money :/

Your modding your car, the further you push it the louder its going to be lol theres no real way to make a low displacement motor make alot of power without being loud. (its really hard at least). IF you want it to be quite the SC would be your best option. To be honest I didnt loose much low end tq with my mani, but what I gained up top is insane. Tuning is everything and an e tune is only going to get you about 80% of what the car has to offer at WOT. If you want to extract everything your car has than a dyno tune is needed!
CT-E Header...so no OEM header at all and have it Etuned already.

·
Registered
874 Posts
SELL you injen, get a Icebox its much much more quiet. here's heeltoe's review on most common intakes Intake Shootout! 04-08 Acura TSX - HeelToe Automotive hope that helps and actually CTE engineering just released the cARBON FIBER ICEBOX for $400 might wanna get that, also you dont seem to have any pulleys on your car which could make a difference, stock pulleys are lik 5-9 extra pounds, also Ingalls ETD might help put some of that power to the wheel, i have similar mods no FP and my car hauls ass dont know #s as ive never tuned but i feel its very fast. Since you have FP like tottenham said get some stage 2 cams this guy made 260WHP all motor http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-g...no-boost-no-nitrous-all-motor-w-dyno-vid.html so its obviously achievable, RBC like everyone else said will help RRC is way better since you have FP id go for that but at 400$ its not chum change. hope this helps

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
CT-E Header...so no OEM header at all and have it Etuned already.
Than it might be time to start messing with the head if your not willing to SC it. Id honestly just look into some cams and maybe a valvetrain upgrade if you willing to spend 2k or so. Get everything port matched and youll see the car closer to 300 than you would think.

it shows the ported RBB with a matching 06-08 TB made gains over all the non-ported ones. am i missing something here?
Yeah but its only slight. I saw 15whp with my RBC and TB on the tune I did my self not even professionally done. For the work and money involved that mod is not worth it.

SELL you injen, get a Icebox its much much more quiet. here's heeltoe's review on most common intakes Intake Shootout! 04-08 Acura TSX - HeelToe Automotive hope that helps and actually CTE engineering just released the cARBON FIBER ICEBOX for $400 might wanna get that, also you dont seem to have any pulleys on your car which could make a difference, stock pulleys are lik 5-9 extra pounds, also Ingalls ETD might help put some of that power to the wheel, i have similar mods no FP and my car hauls ass dont know #s as ive never tuned but i feel its very fast. Since you have FP like tottenham said get some stage 2 cams this guy made 260WHP all motor http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-g...no-boost-no-nitrous-all-motor-w-dyno-vid.html so its obviously achievable, RBC like everyone else said will help RRC is way better since you have FP id go for that but at 400$ its not chum change. hope this helps
No offense to Marcus or anyone involved but that whole intake shoot out is a load of crap. The best proven intake is a stacked intake. Meaning if you have a 70mm intake (2.75 inches) you use a 3.5 inch piping with a reducer and that gives way more power then any of these "high performance" marked up crap pipes. I have my intake pipe that I pieced together for 80 bucks and it out performs everything on the market. Heres how I set mine up:

The Ice box looks good but its restrictive, it causes turbulence and does not allow the optimal air flow in to the TB. In the end a motor is just an air pump, the more air you put in it the more your gonna get out of it.

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
a few questions on you intake setup--

1. did you relocate your battery to make that work? if so, where is it?
2. what are the specs of the components you used (ie. elbow degrees, etc...?)

i've been thinking of throwing together a custom intake using silicone tubing and there are plenty of sites online that sell pieces that you could put together with couplers. hybrid racing sells one for k-swaps, but i don't think it'd fit the tsx setup, which is why i'm toying with the idea of making one myself.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

i've been thinking of throwing together a custom intake using silicone tubing and there are plenty of sites online that sell pieces that you could put together with couplers. hybrid racing sells one for k-swaps, but i don't think it'd fit the tsx setup, which is why i'm toying with the idea of making one myself.
Well, depending on what I do this weekend...I would hook you up on mine. Heck, it doesn't even have 100 miles on it yet.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts

1) Yes its in the trunk, use 4 gauge wire to do that(at least). I can take pictures of that if youd like.

2) All my parts were ordered from Spectra bc in the end its just pipe :)
But I bought a reducer 3" -> 2.75" That is what connects at the TB, Than I bought a 3ft section of 3" pipe a silicon 90* elbow, and a 6" pipe, and than a 3" filter.

I will be getting the main pipe that goes across slightly bent as it doesnt line up perfectly but thats easy. Otherwise it was well worth the 80 bucks.

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
Well, depending on what I do this weekend...I would hook you up on mine. Heck, it doesn't even have 100 miles on it yet.
lol, thanks, but i think i'm ok with the CTE icebox. if anything, i just want something that has less curves or bigger piping.

1) Yes its in the trunk, use 4 gauge wire to do that(at least). I can take pictures of that if youd like.

2) All my parts were ordered from Spectra bc in the end its just pipe :)
But I bought a reducer 3" -> 2.75" That is what connects at the TB, Than I bought a 3ft section of 3" pipe a silicon 90* elbow, and a 6" pipe, and than a 3" filter.

I will be getting the main pipe that goes across slightly bent as it doesnt line up perfectly but thats easy. Otherwise it was well worth the 80 bucks.
thanks, good to know.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts