Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup fellas,

I have searched for this a while back and I could have sworn I found some threads on this topic but I cant seem to find them now...

I have an 06 TSX AT (Running 5w30) and when I get in and crank it when its cold ( First thing in the morning or after sitting for a long time) it has a awful chatter sound as if the engine has no oil at all!! Then goes away after a second and runs as smooth as you could ask for.

Is this b/c of the timing chain tensioner?

Is it the valves?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a guy told me that if i wasnt using the Honda OEM oil filter that it could cause a noise like that... B/c other oil filters may not have the backflow valve... Im running a NAPA Gold filter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
hey i have the same sound on my tsx now for about 3 months :( on start up in the morning. any ideas? its an 06 with 110,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
rattle noise from engine on cold start

i have been having the same issue, very loud rattle sound when the car is cold, also, when i turn the wheels it makes a very loud whining noise from deep down inside the engine.

Once the car warms up, restarting and turning the sound is gone.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The cranking sound looks like the oil has not been kept pressurized and it takes a second or two before the oil get to the squirters for example. It is also true that if not using the proper filter, the oil can flow down to the pan leaving a lot more room to fill when starting up. Mine was doing this even on first start on hot days with Gulf oil (5W40), not really with the Castrol neither the Pennzoil (5W30) (All synthetics). Note that I am storing the car during winter so I cannot really say about extreme cold weather. (-30°C in Quebec city; when I say extremely cold it is not what some think they are experiencing...) I still keep it until November though where it starts to be pretty cold during nights.

Also, when my engine is cold, I hear like the pistons are vibrating in the cylinder. This is happenning over time because the cylinder and pistons wear always at the same spot when the engine is at idle when cold (~1500RPM) and that the tall rod ratio exerts a lot of perpendicular force on the cylinder wall. You can verify this by trying to keep your engine at ~1700RPM when it does the sound; mine disappears. I have 170 000kms on the odometer by the way. I also use HAMP filters since I have my car but, I got it around 100 000kms. Fun thing is you can set your idling speed with FlashPro. When the engine is warmer, the pistons has expanded and the everything gets back into tolerances.

Ceperon, this sound when you turn the wheels is coming from your power steering pump. Once again, the viscosity of a cold fluid is higher and can make the pump forcing a little. Make sure to never turn your steering wheel to the very end (anytime) because you are asking a lot to the pump in this case. It might also mean time is coming for a new steering pump if it does that all the time.

J~

·
Registered
332 Posts
i heard from a different source. it could be your cam chain. it maybe getting old or something forgot. but u might need to replace ur cam chain.. im not saying im right but search up on something about replacing ur cam chain

·
Registered
160 Posts
Could be VTC actuator. I have the same issue.

·
Registered
36 Posts
TL:NR

Have someone look under your car when you start it. I had the same issues when I bought my 04. Turns out it was the lower cat exhaust heat shield rattling. Tore that sucker off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts