Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 honda accord cl7 (JDM) sister car for the North America Acura TSX. For the past couple of days i notice that whenever i am starting the car it take longer than usual to start, engine cranks for about 6 second then starts. It was not behaving that way before. Once you turn the key it start immediately. Can anyone advice as to what is causing this problem. I went ahead and change the filter only inside of the fuel tank there was no difference when starting.

·
Registered
419 Posts
It could be several things including your charging system, ignition, fuel, etc. Check your battery's voltage before and during starting. It may be weak. It can also be old spark plugs. You can also have bad gas.

Does your car crank strong or does it feel like it is struggling? If so it could be your starter or battery. Check your battery and the connections to it. If you find that that your battery is strong (at least 12.6V at rest and not below 10-11V when cranking) then I would suspect either the gas is not good or you may need new spark plugs. Your starter may also be going bad as it gets full of carbon dust and the brushes get worn.

If your not sure where to start, go to an auto parts store and have them check your battery and charging system. That's a good place to start.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It sounds like you don’t have enough pressure in the fuel rail at start up. To check for this do the following: On the first start of the day don’t turn the key all the way to where the engine turns over(position III). Turn the key to position II (power on) and leave it there for 2 minues before going ahead and turning it to position III (start). If the engine cranks less before starting doing this procedure, you have low pressure in the fuel rail. This could be caused by a bad fuel pressure regulator, a weak fuel pump or, least likely, a leaking injector.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Clean your battery terminals and ground straps too. That improved my cranking. It still takes longer than it used to, and I suspect a tired starter.

You can use a scan tool to check for misfires in a cylinder... if you find one try swapping the coil packs and see if the misfires follow the coilpack.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys my problem with the excess cranking problem has been solved, apparently i had a weak fuel pump so i changed it and everthing was back to normal.One crank and car start. Thanks for the the necessary info and troubleshooting method.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts