Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've owned tons of different Hondas, and am a professional Honda mechanic...but even I can't explain what happened. I've been seen alot of chain tensioners on the K24 become weak with age and lack of oil changes. So I decided I would swap out the tensioner yesterday. It's very easy a straight forward, did it per the service manual (Impossible to mess up seemingly). Drove 200+ miles later yesterday no issues, running like a champ. Was heading home last night, pulled in only to hear what sounded like marbles hitting my valve cover. Immediatly shut her off and pulled the valve cover.

To my amazement there was a TON of slack on the chain, like untensioned. So I ordered a new chain, all the guides and another tensioner from Honda. Pulled her apart this morning and the pics show what I saw. Somehow the guide got under the tensioner and the chain was riding ON THE TIP OF THE TENSIONER. It actually had started eating through my chain cover.

By the grace of God it was still in time, which makes no sense given when I turned the crank to TDC the chain started skipping teeth!

Anyhow I tore it all down, replaced everything. I strained the oil and visually inspected everything, no sign of metal particles or glisten in the oil. She runs like a top again (installing the chain cover sucks with all the Honda Bond btw)

Just thought I'd share, thoughts? Opinions? I did check the chain it was worn from rubbing the case, but not stretched... So weird.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cgi6vx0xd8l9y6o/Photo May 24, 5 14 04 PM.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3n2bvav8wt8nk4/Photo May 24, 5 14 08 PM.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xb3vroqyfy49ls0/Photo May 24, 5 14 27 PM.jpg

I'm thinking the new tensioner had to have failed to ratchet or something and temporarily collapsed allowing the chain to jump the guide....

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
It could be a bunch of things, The TCT requires oil pressure to function correctly, its possible you are having an oiling issue. You didnt say how many miles are on the car but its also possible the guides are worn and causing the TCT to extend to far to make up the difference. Its also very possible the TCT was just defective (definitely really rare).

·
Registered
377 Posts
If for some reason you didn't remove all the slack from the tension side of the chain, it's possible the chain slapped around after the first couple startups and finally got under the guide.

Also, I'm not sure if you're familiar with those auto-adjusting tensioners but you usually have to pull a safety pin installed so it doesn't fall apart during shipping or installation but you also have to make sure you have all the chain slack on the slack side and "bounce" the tensioner guide once to allow it to ratchet out to set it initially

Crazy that something like that happened AFTER replacement

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tested, oil pressure is good, only 93k miles. Have always run Mobile 1 5w30. After installing the tensioner I rotated the crank slightly counterclockwise to ensure the tensioner fully extended correctly... So yeah I don't understand.... And again she seemed fine and quiet for almost 200 miles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts