Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't the typical clutch creak/click issue, which my pedal also has. Just yesterday I noticed a distinct creaking noise, like an old wooden door, about 1/2 way back when releasing the pedal. Never on the way down, just the way up.

Could this be a cracked clutch pedal bracket? I couldn't find much on a search relating the two - its a rare issue I think.

I don't have time to wash the car, get under the dash and look (driving 7h straight after work today, in wife's Odyssey). Just want to know if I should be really concerned about it snapping, or if it can wait a week.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Personally, if it's a mild squeak then it could just need lubrication but if it's as bad as it sounds then I would take the 5 mins to look under the dash and also look at your fluid levels.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
People have reported that their pedal bracket broke. It's definitely worth the effort to pull the panels and get down there to inspect the bracket. I had the creak/click continuously coming back. Inspected pedal and it looked solid. Replaced CMC with the TSB from the TL (We use the same CMC as the TL) and everything has been fine.

·
Shouldaboughtahonda!
286 Posts
So was yours just the clutch master cyl? Not the pedal? And is the tl cmc any cheaper or better? Mine creaks bad when it warms up. Need to give her some tlc

Sent from my Rooted HTC ReZound 4gLTE

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
Yea my problem was just the CMC. My pedal bracket was solid when I went down there to check.

Don't be afraid just because it's a "TL" cmc. The parts are interchangeable because Acura uses the same CMC in the TL, TSX, Accord, etc.

Here is the thread on the TL's TSB: http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-problems-fixes/55092-new-tsb-clutch-master-cylinder.html

Here is the part number for the CMC that I used to replace our old one: 46920-S7A-A04

In other words, we use the A03: Acura Parts @ AcuraOEMparts.com - Genuine Acura OEM Parts from Delray Acura

I'm also not sure if the A04 is truly a fix. But there's really no other choice out there but to replace your CMC (if the problem is the CMC). And the thing is, members have reported that replacing their CMC with a generic brand, they get the creak/click again not too long after the replacement. So I suggest going OEM as the quality might be better.

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just for reference and to close a loop... my problem was a cracked clutch pedal bracket. It was REALLY hard to see as it was near the leftmost nut holding it to the firewall. Tucked between a bunch of wires, and the bracket itself. A small pen-like flashlight and patience, enabled me to see it. I replaced the entire clutch pedal/bracket this past weekend and she's butter smooth now.

I suspect the flexing of the bracket was causing a pop/click and sometimes a creaking noise on the downstroke and upstroke, depending on ambient temperature, humidity, etc.

·
Registered
247 Posts
My TSX with 122K miles just started creaking/clicking last night. I looked at it as closely as possible and didn't see any sign of cracking of the pedal assembly near the mounting flange, but just to be on the safe side, I ordered an OEM clutch pedal assembly and clutch master cyclinder (the TL unit)...Perhaps this also will fix the issue I have with slight grinding on high RPM shifts (7K RPM)...

·
( o)( o)
964 Posts
did install Sat morning and pulled the old one out Fri night... woof.

items needed:
10mm wrench for hard lines
12mm wrench for cmc rod adjustment
12mm socket for cmc bolts and booster bolts
10mm socket for cmc reservoir bracket
8mm short wrench for slave cylinder bleeder
swivel for left cmc bolt
needle nose for cmc pin and hard line clasps

unbolt cmc and disconnect pedal. loosen booster bolts as much as possible
unbolt cmc reservoir
disconnect hardline along frame rail
wiggle booster while pulling out hardline
wiggle out cmc and hard line all in one including reservoir... under brake reservoir

swap over needed parts from old cmc to new

reinstall

bleed via slave cylinder

old on left, em2 on right... straight bolt up

1 - 9 of 9 Posts