Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Live life supercharged!
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked the car up on Friday from my mechanic Steve @ Park Acura who put my supercharger on for me. Some quick thoughts:

1) Install. From what my mechanic told me, the instructions supplied by Comptech were horrible (to put it gently). My mechanic told me he would do one step and then the next step would require something else but in order to do it, he would have to remove the previous part because there was no way to get around it. So it was kind of working backwards to a certain extent. (My engine is a virgin engine...no previous extensive mods to it so its not like I had a weird setup or anything) Also, some of the parts supplied by CT wouldnt work (ie bolt too short or tubing not long enough, etc) Good thing my mechanic had full access to the Honda parts department! This is precisely the reason I did not want a "hot rod" shop doing this install. It was not suprising to me that this kind of stuff would have popped up. Moreover, I think the reason you see so many superchargers for sale on this site and acura zine is because either A) they couldnt deal with the install or B) it was causing mechanical problems with their cars so they took it off. I would like to give special thanks to CCColtsIcehockey for his install thread he posted years ago. He outlined some headaches of what to watch out for. Kudos to you sir! :cheers:
http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-image-gallery/29127-supercharger-installation.html

2) Performance. The car idles very quiet. No rattles or noises. Hard to believe there is a supercharger under the hood. The car pulls well throughout the power band, low through high end. To be honest, I havent run it hard, except maybe 1 little spurt. But the whine/tone of the supercharger just sounds sexy!!! Sounds like one of the cars from Fast and Furious. I was told to break it in very very gently. The stock K24A2 already has a high compression index and throwing on a supercharger further compounds that. If it is not broken in properly, damage is likely occur to the rings and seals inside the engine and thus potentially start burning oil which is like heart failure for a car. I plan on breaking it in very gently for approx 5k miles. The one good thing about taking it easy is that I am getting incredible mpg's. I have 3/4 of a tank left and I only have 205 miles clocked on the odometer. Hopefully I can show those Prius pricks whats up by getting 500+ miles to the tank! I have been doing alot of highway driving, going 55-60 mph and not over that. My assignment for the week is to drive it one hour every night around 11pm when no one is on the roads that way I'm all alone out there.

Summary: very happy I decided to do this. I knew the potential problems heading in to it and I think anyone else considering doing it needs to realize it is not as simple as putting on a new header or intake. But if you can put it on right and maintain it top notch, it will make you a happy camper! Cant wait to race when it's all broken in and embarrass some unsuspecting driver!

Reactions: curls

·
Built + Boosted
310 Posts
Good writeup and +rep for going sc.

Id have to disagree with most of it though.

I did my own sc install very easily over one day, I found it a walk in the park and the instructions very clear and in correct order.

Beware the dreaded tensioner pulley, my CT one lasted around 5000km before it failed.
Threw on the MercRacing item and never had any problems.

·
Registered
390 Posts
An engine "breaks in" as the piston rings and cylinder walls mate together in the same way your brake pads bed into your rotors. That happened when the car was new. Theres nothing to break in any more. Your engine doesn't have to get used to having more power... just drive it!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
congrats! im super jealous. The power curve on supercharged tsx is incredible. Enjoy!

·
My car whines...alot
809 Posts
As others have already stated, there is no break-in period required for your supercharger or your engine at this point. You can drive it as hard as you want right off the bat :thumbsup:.

I also disagree with your theory that the reason why people are selling their superchargers is due to a lack of installation know-how or reliability issues. A low-boost Roots supercharger is one of the most reliable forms of boost. There's a reason why many large car manufacturers (Chevrolet, Mercedes-Benz) have specifically used the Eaton M62 in OEM applications.

Looking at your mods list, it says you have a set of Ralco pulleys - does that set include a smaller diameter crank pulley? If so, I'd recommend you swap back to the original crank pulley as you are currently underdriving the blower and losing boost as a result.

·
My car whines...alot
809 Posts
Well i wouldnt go as far as saying just install it and beat on it. Tuning is pretty key. Maybe once i pay my car off i'll install a Kraftwerks SC.
The stock CT S/C kit just comes with an ECU reflash + piggyback ACM module which can't be tuned/altered. That means you're good to flog it all you want.

Also, FYI...running a centrifugal S/C in our engine bay will most likely require removing the A/C compressor.

·
Live life supercharged!
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good writeup and +rep for going sc.

Id have to disagree with most of it though.

I did my own sc install very easily over one day, I found it a walk in the park and the instructions very clear and in correct order.

Beware the dreaded tensioner pulley, my CT one lasted around 5000km before it failed.
Threw on the MercRacing item and never had any problems.
I will keep an eye out for that tensioner pulley! Thanks

An engine "breaks in" as the piston rings and cylinder walls mate together in the same way your brake pads bed into your rotors. That happened when the car was new. Theres nothing to break in any more. Your engine doesn't have to get used to having more power... just drive it!
I agree with you up to a point. However, I still believe the gears have to mesh, the bearings/bolts have to seat, breaking the belt in, and adding a new supercharger to an older engine block requires a smooth transition in my opinion. There are just wayyyy to many negatives that could happen if the system gets a kink it in. I've talked to other people who have superchargers on and are burning oil. That is not a good sign from what I have been told. You cant fix that without having to take the whole entire thing off. The most scary scenario is a leaky ring which burns oil and even a slight decrease in lubrication for the timing chain which stretches and booom there goes your engine. I guess we can just agree to disagree on this one but I have a lot of trust in my mechanic who has built engines before and works with this stuff all the time.

Congrats! How many miles on your engine? Did you replace anything in the bottom end, upgrade the clutch, .etc? Or did you just slap on S/C and left the engine and power train "as is"?
It got put on at 115,000 miles. I replaced just the motor mounts. Ive replaced alot of stuff in past service jobs so it essentially is a brand new engine but pretty much the engine is stock Honda components and not aftermarket stuff. Not trying to turn into this 400 hp monster and then have it blow up on me!

Looking at your mods list, it says you have a set of Ralco pulleys - does that set include a smaller diameter crank pulley? If so, I'd recommend you swap back to the original crank pulley as you are currently underdriving the blower and losing boost as a result.
The Ralco's are OEM replicas just made out of light weight non corrosvie aluminum billet. Thanks for the heads up though!

Proud to have joined the club! Thanks for the kind words everyone. I will post pics in the near future. Just waiting for one or two more things to get put on.

·
Live life supercharged!
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Two updates:

1) I got pulled over by a cop today to let me know I drive an Acura and not a Honda since he saw my H and euro R grill. Thanks bro.

2) After starting my car up from having pulled over, I heard this "whining" noise. I think that is the best way to describe it. The most similiar noise I can try to relate it to is the whine when you shift into reverse and you give it some juice. It was definately coming from the belt area. But I checked the tension on it which seemed perfect. I got back on the highway and the car shifted fine, no hickups or other noises, temperature gauge within normal limits. The only thing is the whining noise upon acceleration. So far I have 300 miles logged on the supercharger. I'm gonna let the car rest for a few hours (I have a 2 hour meeting to go to now) but if the noise is still there I'm gonna take it back up to my mechanic buddy.

·
Registered
124 Posts
check your power steering fluids, it could be that it's low. anywhere around 115k you should check it. i ended up thinking it was my serpentine belt at one point so i bought a new one, noise was still there. than i check the power steering resevoir and notice i was at complete dry. hope that help !!

·
Live life supercharged!
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Problem diagnosed: my power steering pump is going bad. Thank god it is completely unrelated to the s/c. My guy took and listen and the noise was even louder when i would turn the steering wheel. We both kind of laughed at each other because it is the only thing I havent replaced in that engine bay yet. Just happy it wasnt s/c related!!!

·
Live life supercharged!
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well f-ck me, the pump is $500 smackers! I thought maybe 200 or 300....grrrr

1 - 20 of 44 Posts