Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an AEM SRI and I'm planning on cutting some slots in the "vent" next to the fog light on my 06-08 bumper to draw more cold air into the bay.

But I also found a site that sells a plastic air duct that I could probably mount in the vented area.

Pegasus - Air Inlet, 6 x 3.5 inch, Rectangular

Do you guys think the plastic air duct will make a difference enough to justify spending $28 shipped?

I'd also like to figure out a way to mount the plastic elbow with the velocity stack that came with my CT icebox in the same spot as it was when the icebox was installed. But I'm not sure if cold air will force its way up through the pipe without having suction on the other end.

Opinions?

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
3,260 Posts
Sounds good but ever thought doing something like this?

I dont think CF makes a difference but yeah it looks like and i like where it's placed.

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
^ lol i have never seen such a thing...

and OP, i cut my vents, they were really simple to do, i just used a knife and stabbed the hell out of them until they came off. i gotta say... i see a lot of salt around the area from the snow winter. if youre going to do it, i say either...

A) go with 714TSX posted
B) cut it and then buy another foglight cover for the winter
or C) Cut it and dont worry about it ever again

·
3,260 Posts

make this for the tsx and ill be the happiest man in the world... and most likely... the brokest man in the world :lol:

·
5,412 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. I always thought about doing it too since I have an SRI. Not sure about cutting vents in the bumper though. I was thinking about venting from the bottom of the car. I don't know about the euro r front lip, but the aspec has no where to cut without sacrificing a foglight

Offtopic: what made you get a short ram?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ lol i have never seen such a thing...

and OP, i cut my vents, they were really simple to do, i just used a knife and stabbed the hell out of them until they came off. i gotta say... i see a lot of salt around the area from the snow winter. if youre going to do it, i say either...

A) go with 714TSX posted
B) cut it and then buy another foglight cover for the winter
or C) Cut it and dont worry about it ever again
I have the Euro R lip so either I'm going to remove the black plastic backing from the vents and leave it wide open or cut some slots. Luckily I don't drive my TSX in the winter but thanks for the heads up.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Performance
8,413 Posts
I have the OEM foglight for my 05 cover which I plan on experimenting with since its fits and has a decent size hole, just gotta mount it and get hose to route to the intake

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like a good idea. I always thought about doing it too since I have an SRI. Not sure about cutting vents in the bumper though. I was thinking about venting from the bottom of the car. I don't know about the euro r front lip, but the aspec has no where to cut without sacrificing a foglight

Offtopic: what made you get a short ram?
Im not actually going to cut the bumper itself, the Euro R lip has little grills next to the fog lights that are usually closed off with these black plastic pieces that attach from behind the bumper. Either I want to just remove the pieces or cut slots in them.

Last time I went to remove the top lid from my CT icebox I noticed that the back screw came loose and I was sucking in all kinds of dirt from the engine bay. I just wasn't impressed at all with the fit and finish and felt like trying something else.

The AEM SRI quality was better, comes with a really nice heat shield too.

·
I <3 My CL9
1,492 Posts
IMO I think the air duct will be worth the money and better then just cutting slits into the oem "vent" but I am no expert at this just my opinion. But how would you fit the aftermarket air duct in? Would it snap on like the oem one?

I am actually working on a similar project. I bought a lower mesh grille with the matching two mesh sides. I am trying to decide whether to use them though because I am having trouble deciding how to install them because it says to use zip-ties and while this worked for the lower grille it seems impossible for the sides. If I don't go that route I think I will end up cutting slits in the oem "vent".

Heres the two mesh on the top:

·
5,412 Posts
Im not actually going to cut the bumper itself, the Euro R lip has little grills next to the fog lights that are usually closed off with these black plastic pieces that attach from behind the bumper. Either I want to just remove the pieces or cut slots in them.

Last time I went to remove the top lid from my CT icebox I noticed that the back screw came loose and I was sucking in all kinds of dirt from the engine bay. I just wasn't impressed at all with the fit and finish and felt like trying something else.

The AEM SRI quality was better, comes with a really nice heat shield too.
Ah ic. That makes sense.

I never understood all the "icebox ftw!!!1" comments after seeing the fit and finish on it for that money.

I woulda gone with the aem Sri if I had known about the heatshield. How you liking the added noise?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Wish J's Racing would make an air duct for the CL7/9 as they have for the EG, EK, DC2, etc.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah ic. That makes sense.

I never understood all the "icebox ftw!!!1" comments after seeing the fit and finish on it for that money.

I woulda gone with the aem Sri if I had known about the heatshield. How you liking the added noise?
I haven't driven my car since November. :)

Yeah the heat shield was nicer than I thought it would be. Here's a good pic of it...

Wish J's Racing would make an air duct for the CL7/9 as they have for the EG, EK, DC2, etc.
werd

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I decided to do some experimenting this morning. After removing the fender liner I took off the black plastic cover for the vent and rigged the plastic elbow from my icebox behind the bumper. Then I held a blow dryer towards the bumper, with it set on high and about 6 inches away a good amount of air was flowing right through the pipe into the bay. Then I held it back another 12 inches and still had really good air flow. I also tried it on the low setting and surprisingly I still could feel a decent amount of air coming through the pipe.

·
5,412 Posts
After looking at my front bumper last night, I forgot all about the hole that is next to the foglight housing.

Now to find a plastic elbow, nice looking plastic inlet, and a way to mount it all...

maybe i'll hit up a hardware store this weekend. I'll look through my intake pieces (resonator removal) later to see if there is anything useful. I'll have to measure that side hole to see if the rectangular inlet you posted will fit.

Edit:

I found a pic of the intake pieces I removed along with the resonator.

Looks like the half the resonator tubing could work as an elbow

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah if you remove that plastic piece the location is perfect for a cold air inlet. The duct that I posted fits the euroR lip opening almost perfect, the hard part would be figuring out how to mount it. Looks like the opening on the OEM lip is taller and not as wide, but I bet if you turned the duct sideways it would be a close fit.

The only problem with this mod is the bay will get a lot dirtier, but I may try to fabricate some sort of block off plate so all the air gets forced up towards the intake.

An idea I have is to buy the air duct, attach a 45 degree rubber elbow to the back of it, and then put a 10-12" aluminum pipe into the elbow. The aluminum pipe would run up the opening next to the battery into the bay ending up just a few inches from the filter.

Im thinking I could mount it by welding a couple brackets onto the aluminum pipe and using some of the holes that are around the opening by the battery to bolt it down.

The air duct wouldn't actually be attached to the bumper, it would be held in place by the aluminum pipe.

Here's a good site that sells stuff for making custom intakes.

Intake Hoses, IntakeTubing, and Intake Clamps

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
reading all this makes me want to ditch my icebox now. haha.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The icebox has a good design, that top lid just looks and fits like shit. I remember the first time I tried to mount the lid it wouldn't screw down at all. I ended up pulling the silver grommets out of the OEM lid and replacing the ones that the icebox comes with, that allowed me to at least screw it down but barely. CT should of included better hardware and the lower half of the air box so the fitment would be perfect.

·
5,412 Posts
Inkedup, good idea on the blockoff plate. I was thinking about using a mesh screen to filter out the big stuff. I think at this point, I'm gonna hold off on buying stuff. I'm gonna try to keep this mod as cheap as possible, although that inlet you posted looks like a good fit. The total came out to be around $30 shipped for just the inlet so I'm going to see if I can find or make something cheaper.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts