Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My goal with this project was to come up with an affordable, super stealth radar detector setup that I could run in Virginia and DC w/o any worries. I purchased the Smart Radar because I like the functionality of the detector and the full iphone control but most importantly because it's undetectable even by the newest in Spectre IV+ radar detector detectors. This setup consists of a custom remote install of the actually display inside of the rearview mirror housing by Scott of radar-mirror.com. I also had him mount the controller on the back of the mirror and relocate the speaker from the detector to the mirror with cutouts to allow sound to escape. The actual radar detector itself is mounted inside of the center headrest and is completely undetectable. I did lose laser functionality with this setup but in all honesty by the time you're hit with a laser detector, it's too late to slow down, since the range is so much shorter.

By jr_rider at 2012-09-15

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
that is some kinda stealth! I love it! Although losing sensitivity in the system kind of defeats the purpose. But for VA laws being so strict on radar detectors that is an amazing setup!

People say that once your hit with laser your done but there have been several instances that my valentine 1 has sensed laser bouncing around and I was able to slow down fast enough to where I wasnt hassled by police. Although it REALLY depends on the driving situation and reaction time. obviously if your the only car on the road and he is looking directly at you your not going to get saved.

·
Live life supercharged!
598 Posts
That is a cool setup. VA is probably the worst state for radar detectors in the nation. The BEST radar detector is still a set of human eyes always looking down the road!

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Florida
2,725 Posts
That is pretty bad ass I must say..

That is a cool setup. VA is probably the worst state for radar detectors in the nation. The BEST radar detector is still a set of human eyes always looking down the road!
Ahh, not speeding is probable the best Radar Detector! But then again, who doesn't speed!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when i first got my car and was driving from NY to TX, i had no idea that i wasn't allowed a radar in WVA - drove right through it with it on, right by a trooper too... lol

cool set up though, A+ for effort!
Thanks.

That is pretty bad ass I must say..

Ahh, not speeding is probable the best Radar Detector! But then again, who doesn't speed!
I agree 100%!

that is some kinda stealth! I love it! Although losing sensitivity in the system kind of defeats the purpose. But for VA laws being so strict on radar detectors that is an amazing setup!

People say that once your hit with laser your done but there have been several instances that my valentine 1 has sensed laser bouncing around and I was able to slow down fast enough to where I wasnt hassled by police. Although it REALLY depends on the driving situation and reaction time. obviously if your the only car on the road and he is looking directly at you your not going to get saved.

I will more than likely add a laser jammer setup to the system to combat laser. I rarely encountered laser when I had the system mounted on the windshield. But honestly as you mentioned, the alert was so quick, I would virtually have to slam on brakes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts