Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Sleeper Status?
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For the past few years I have been experimenting with my exhaust...First installing DC Sports Headers and RT Cat. After having problems with the noisy flex pipe in the DC Headers, I removed this piece as well as the rear resonator and welded in a straight test pipe. This setup worked well for about a year, before some welds eventually fatigued from lack of a flex pipe.

I am now looking to overhaul my exhaust and do a full custom stainless steel setup.

1) I have read some threads about a Turbo Flex Pipe that is much higher quality than the DC Flex Pipe. I have found Vibrant Turbo Flex Pipes, < Vibrant Flex Coupling - Standard Flex and TurboFlex Coupling > are these the same thing? What is a high quality flex pipe that will not buzz or make noise?

2) After my RT Cat, I will be using 2.5" stainless steel piping in roughly the same configuration as the stock exhaust, leading to dual Comptech Universal Mufflers. I have read that keeping a resonator in the system is recommended to reduce raspiness. I was considering using the stock forward resonator for this, although it would slightly bottleneck. Is this a bad idea or should I buy an aftermarket 2.5" resonator, or just leave out the resonator all together?

3) Lastly, does anyone know of a 2.5" exhaust tip that looks somewhat like the stock tips? I really like the tapered look.

Any suggestions / help is welcome, Thanks.

·
Sleeper Status?
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Exhaust guru's please help!

·
Clutch Dump of Death!!!
830 Posts
I don't have any first hand experience with Vibrant flexpipes, but they are bound to be better than what comes on all the DC headers and knockoffs.

If you are going 2.5 all the way I would reccomend getting another resonator that is 2.5" inlet/outlet, just keeps from creating unwanted bottle necks.

Lastly, your stock tips shold fit on a 2.5" outlet from the new mufflers. I recently had a 3" single outlet installed with Magnaflow resonator & muffler. I used the stock tip just cut out the inside bracket and tightened the screw to keeps it on the new muffler. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Sleeper Status?
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
161 Posts
Great, Vibrant makes a 2.5" stainless steel resonator as well < Vibrant Resonator - Vibrant Standard Bottle Style Resonator >. Has anyone used one of these? Also, does anyone know where to get replacement exhaust gaskets for the connection directly after the Cat?
I have a 2.5 SS catback on my car but it goes to a single fart can and it's loud. I was going to get one of those Vbrant resonators but on the advice of another member, I went with the Aero Exhaust AR25 resonator. It made the car quieter on idle but on WOT it's still pretty loud it just has a smoother tone. If you want it quieter I'd probably go for one of Vibrant's ultra quiet resonators but I think the two Comptech mufflers should also aid in keeping the noise levels down.

CL7-R

·
Sleeper Status?
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great info, thanks CL7-R. I'm thinking the comptech mufflers will keep it pretty quiet as well, I just really don't want the exhaust note to be raspy. I would be fine with a louder pitch at WOT but I do a lot of highway driving and really don't want the cabin to have significant drowning...it is a luxury sedan after all.

·
Banned
781 Posts
Ultra quiet resonator by Vibrant is not even a resonator. It does not mellow down the sound. It is a pre muffler

·
Alliance!
1,776 Posts
If you want to keep the raspiness out of the exhaust tone, opt for the 18" resonator. 12" would work fine but the 18" would almost guarantee little to no rasp even at WOT.

·
Sleeper Status?
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know little about resonators, will a larger resonator reduce the volume of the exhaust or just the raspyness and tone?

·
Sleeper Status?
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got these CT-Engineering Universal mufflers in today...they are a thing of beauty! I am just getting started on this project, it will probably take me a few weeks to do the entire cat-back since I have never done a full custom exhaust before. I plan on doing the entire setup of 2.5" 16 gauge stainless steel tubing, with an 18" stainless steel Vibrant Resonator. I am putting in a 6" Stainless Works Flex Pipe in place of the test pipe I currently have on my DC Sports headers. I will continue to post pics as I work and a sound clip once I am finished.

·
Bork Bork Bork
3,317 Posts
I used a Vibrant Flexpipe on my Topspeed header, connected to my Magnaflow cat and WS2 exhaust. No problems or hisses so far and its been on for 1 1/2 years.

·
Sleeper Status?
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's good to know...I am going to try the Stainless Works Flex Pipe because they make one that is 6" as opposed to the 4" Vibrant Flex Pipe. This should put less strain on the braided fibers and allow for more movement, but I will let you know how it holds up. If this fails I am putting in an engine damper kit, I've heard that fixes the root of all flex pipe issues.

·
Sleeper Status?
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does anyone know where to get replacement exhaust gaskets? Specifically I want all 3 (intermittent DC Header - 2 pipe connection, headers to cat, and cat to cat-back). I haven't been able to find these online.

·
iVTEC no koe
1,913 Posts

·
Sleeper Status?
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, looks like they have the gasket after the cat but not before. I'll try calling them tomorrow to see if they usually carry this item.

·
Sleeper Status?
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Things are starting to get done...

Just an update if anyone cares...

1) Got the Vibrant Resonator in, looks as good as the CT-Engineering mufflers!
2) Welded a Stainless Works flex pipe into the DC Sports header
3) Bought two 90 degree mandrel bend stainless steel tubes and cut/welded them into a splitter for the dual mufflers.
4) Lots of straight tubing left to be bent, cut and welded in place to finish the cat-back system...and lots of work ahead of me!

Things are coming together, I have all of the gaskets and parts that I need other than the 3/8" stainless rod that I am forming into exhaust hangers. I have never done this before so it is a slow process but everything seems to be going pretty well so far...

·
Sleeper Status?
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Entire exhaust mach-up complete w/ pics

So I just finished tack-welding the entire cat-back together and I think it looks great. I haven't heard how it sounds yet but I am very happy with the lines and contours I was able to achieve...especially working in limited space under the car. Here are some pics for now I will post some high-res photos when the entire system is fully welded, cleaned and polished.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts