Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting in a dashcam and want it to receive power whenever the car is on. I want to hardwire it to the power going to the auto-dimming mirror. Anyone have any experience with that wiring? I looked up on ********* (btw, whoever the mods are who decided to block this needs to grow up and learn to get along with others) and here for wiring in radar detectors, but it seems everyone goes to the fuse box.

I'm going to do it tomorrow whether or not I hear back, but anyone have any experience with this already?

·
Registered
283 Posts
According to my 06 book, the rearview mirror has 3 wires that plug into it: gray, green, and black. The gray one is from fuse#21 and gets power (+) when the ignition is in the ON or START positions. This is for the 06, but its likely the same for the 08 too.

·
got some new shoes :)
3,491 Posts
what kind of camera are you going to be using?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey, how did you get on? I did this in my Accord last year and it works a treat. I had a writeup on a UK Accord forum but sadly that forum is no longer around (moderators arguments!)

I bought the camera from ebay and haven't had any trouble with it.

If you need help just let me know.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for the delay, but I'm using the RVS-300 camera from here . I wired it into the rv mirror and the overhead light using a diode. I tied it in that way so that I can use a small toggle switch to turn the power on when the car's off and not power the mirror.

Here is it is before I wired it up with the diode.

And here it is with the diode. I don't have a schematic. I just made it work.

·
got some new shoes :)
3,491 Posts
nice, what is the purpose for you and the cam? i like the idea im just curious :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got it for two reasons, first is liability. I've heard some horror stories of one driver's word against another and with society being as litigious as it is today, I don't want to take any chances. Second reason is I'm hoping to get some cool videos. I know it sounds bad, but I've seen some cool things before and wish I had it recorded.

I guess the fact that I like gadgets might have contributed also. :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any detail tutorial to hook up my camera?

The picture doesn't tell much, unfortuneately
I just wired the camera into the auto dimming mirror, when spliced another wire into it with a switch that hooked up to the overhead light and used a diode to prevent electricity from flowing from the overhead light into the mirror when I had the car off and the switch. The switch supplies power to the camera when the car is off, like if you get pulled over or something.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just wired the camera into the auto dimming mirror, when spliced another wire into it with a switch that hooked up to the overhead light and used a diode to prevent electricity from flowing from the overhead light into the mirror when I had the car off and the switch. The switch supplies power to the camera when the car is off, like if you get pulled over or something.
Which diode did you use?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts