Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just installed some DC headers! I got welds put on the header before install, so that I wouldn't have any problems with them breaking. See the pics below.

The install took me about 2 1/2 - 3 hours.
10 minutes into the install I sliced my thumb open from a bad weld on the bar for the floor jack I was using.
It was pretty deep but I put a band-aid on it and kept right on going though.

The install was acutally more difficult than I thought it would be. I had some trouble with two of the bolts on Cat. Converter and also the one that connects the OEM header mounting bracket to the engine. What made it hard is was that there was not a lot of room to manuever underneath the car. You are laying on your back and you have to put a lot of force on each bolt to get it off, so you have to get yourself in the perfect postion. If I would have had a lift it would have been a lot easier. I recommend definitely having a breaker bar and some extensions for it. You will definitely need an extension to get to the bolt connecting the header mount bracket to the engine.
One of the problems I ran into was that I tried to get the OEM header out without taking the mounting bracket off of it. I don't recommend trying that. : )

Before the install I was worried the most about the bolts on the exhaust manifold. It turned out that those were actually the easiest to get out. I was able to get 4 of those off from above using an 18" breaker bar. I got the last one on the bottom right from below. The O2 sensor was also pretty easy. I removed that using an adjustable wrench and made sure to put anti-seize on the threads before I installed it in the DC header.

I was fortunate because when I turned the ignition on for the first time after the install there was no leaks! I made sure to torque each bolt to the exact spec. mentioned in the Comptech instructions. I found a 3/8" head 12" long torque wrench from the Autozone for $20. It measured from 120-960 inch lbs. so I just converted to ft lbs. by dividing my 12. For Example, 300 in. lbs. = 25 ft. lbs

I also made sure to tighten the bolts on the exhaust manifold from the middle alternating outwards. I did the same when connecting the primary and secondary parts of the header. For the bolts on the cat, I followed the tightening sequence shown in the Comptech instructions.

Special thanks to JTso from one of other TSX forums. He really helped out!

I went for my first ride and I it seems like the RPMs rise a little faster. This can be felt the most in the higher Rpms...like 4000-7600. I haven't gotten a chance to drive a lot yet, so I'll have to post more info after I've driven for awhile. The real tests will be when I'm mashin' to work next week!

Triz08: I know you're really curious about whether the headers remove the dip when you hit Vtec on the 5AT. It hasn't completely removed the dip at Vtec, but it has reduced it a lot. I could still feel the dip, but it seemed like it wasn't as big of a dip. With VSA off the dip is almost completely gone. I'm gonna have to test this out some more and let you know though.

I'll post some pics too in a second. Sorry that the post is so long guys.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The Cliff Notes Version : )

Install Tips:
1) Don't slice your finger open like a jackass right before the install
2) Have Comptech, DC Sports, and JTso's install instructions
3) Have a 3/8" head 12" long torque wrench. $20 Autozone. You might have clearance issues with a longer one.
4) Have a 18" breaker bar, flex joint end, and 1/2" head extensions
5) Wrap up both parts of the header in towels/shirts
6) During removal, make sure the socket is locked flush onto the bolt before you try remove it so that you don't strip the head
7) Torque every bolt to spec
8) Tighten the bolts in the sequence it says in the instructions.
9) An extension was necessary for me to get some bolts off of Cat. My breaker bar and rachets wouldn't clear the OEM flex pipe.
10) Flip the heat shield upside down to get it out, like JTso says.
11) Do not try to take out the header before removing the OEM header mount bracket. The OEM header will ALMOST come out with the bracet still on, but I learned the hard way it wouldn't.
12) Put a 6" extension on the torque wrench to tighten the bolts that connect the primary and secondary header
13) After you tighten everything down. Feel around and make sure there are no gaps. The flanges should all be sitting completely flush with each other once they are tightened.
14) I placed the flatter side of the O-rings face up inside the groves of the DC flanges. Not sure if it's right, but it worked well for me.

Here's the pics
Pic of the fixed header. Six weld points were put connecting the flex pipe to the flange that connects to the Cat. converter. Only cost me $10 at the local muffler shop.

The $20 torque wrench is in the middle in red.

I put way too much wrap on the secondary header. Don't do that. lol..

The inside of the factory Cat.

The bolt on the bottom right of the exhuast manifold is the only one you have to get from below. This is a pic of me torque-ing it though.

The last 3 are the finished pics.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reactions: Peregrine

·
2005 TSX 6MT Nav
692 Posts
excellent write up!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
Sweet! :thumbsup:

·
Slickness...
971 Posts
Awesome write up man, good job!

But one question, Why did you have to get it welded? I thought they had that problem fixed already...

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
joerockt said:
Awesome write up man, good job!

But one question, Why did you have to get it welded? I thought they had that problem fixed already...
Some of the newer ones are already welded I guess. I bought my set for $280 off someone on Ebay. My headers were shipped from DC 11/24/04. and mine were not the fixed version.

Triz ordered some, so it'll be interesting to see which version he gets. Either way, IMO it's better to get it welded regardless. It only cost me $10 and gives me more peace of mind.

·
owned ur ass
200 Posts
indeed i did, i ordered from the board vendor Excelerate. He said his supplier got the headers from DC only a few months ago, so we will see if its updated or not. Will post pics tomorrow when and if it arrives.

·
Registered
60 Posts
What is the power gain from the header??

Also compare to Header and Exhaust, which one gains more power to the car?

·
TSX of the Month Winner
2,330 Posts
sweeet ass car man... i jes installed mah CAI today... but arent headers alone not so good for the car is u dont have a full catback?... jes want to know cuz i was gunna get the DC headers.. thanx

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
pics r deaed .. ~ can u fix that ? really apperciated ..
btw .. great write up ~

·
818TSX
231 Posts
Nice thread. I have the comptech headers and i get really nice results with the catback and hondata reflash. Comptech headers are nice but very,very, pricey. I was gonna go dc but i had dc on my civic and they were alright nothing crazy but i didnt have full cat and hondata either :) looks really good thogh, what's next.

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Vancouver
9,175 Posts
pics are up.........good write up dude!!

·
2005 TSX 6MT Nav
692 Posts
aside from the performance gains with the DC headers, what are the cabin noise effects? normal driving sound? WOT sound? any effect?

honestly, i love the injen CAI in a sense that you dont hear it unless you want to (WOT). are the headers the same way? cause i dont like to make a lot of noise, only when necessary.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^^ Yep it broke. Ended up getting a crack on the flex pipe area. The header was hissing like crazy even at light throttle.

I ended up getting a custom a pipe from JTso on another forum. The new A pipe has a larger diameter to go along with my SC setup. I'll try to post pics and details in a new thread soon.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
actually after i posted here..i went to other site and saw your post there...haha
well u got the version 1 header........i wonder if version 2 is ok

·
Not A MOD3RATOR
4,329 Posts
Mine is still holding up strong and I hope it keeps it that way.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
kyotousa said:
actually after i posted here..i went to other site and saw your post there...haha
well u got the version 1 header........i wonder if version 2 is ok
Oh okay...haha. Yeah I have the version 1 DC.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts