Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please enlighten me on the process of de-badging your car?
I would like to get the dealer emblem removed from the back of my car and would like to know how this is done. Also, Is this legal if your car is financed? Do you have to own the vehicle outright to do this legally?

Thanks in advance Gals/Guys!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Can't help you on the removal (w/out hurting the paint) but as far as legally I can't see why it would be illegal. You financed through a bank or Honda's bank right? Not the dealer. (unless there was something in the contract but I can't imagine a dealer being that shysterly). I asked my dealer not to put one on before delivery and they said they don't do it anyways... classy; good for them.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Use dental floss to remove the badge, then cleaner wax to remove the left over glue. Wax, and your done :thumbsup:
BTW, the A your stuck with (has two holes) ;)

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Like Joker said, using dental floss or fishing line to get underneath the badge is the way to get started - here are some additional tips for a clean job -

Cold = no go

Wait until the temperature is warm, as that will help soften the adhesive holding the badges. Or, if you live in a colder climate or can't wait (I did mine the night I brought it home from the dealer), use a blow dryer or a heat gun to warm it up to help you out.

To get any residue off, you can use Goo-Gone or any adhesive remover that is safe for your paint. Please remember to wash your car or the immediate area after you are done and apply a fresh coat of wax.

The "Acura" and the "TSX" comes off without a hitch - if you want to remove the "A" on the trunk, simply floss the top and bottm, and then pry with your fingers and it'll pop off. There are two pins that hold it, thus - two holes that you can "shave" off by having your body shop fill in the holes and repaint - that is costly, however. If the "A" is not of big concern to you, then debadging is more or less a "free" mod (cost of floss/Goo-Gone notwithstanding)

Here is a pic of my car debadged and the "A" badge sanded/painted black - good luck!

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Use a hair dryer to heat up the stickers and emblems you want to remove. That'll help getting it off easier. You can also use pure/surgical alcohol to remove excessive emblem glue/tape.

·
Registered
21 Posts
studdly said:
Can someone please enlighten me on the process of de-badging your car?
I would like to get the dealer emblem removed from the back of my car and would like to know how this is done. Also, Is this legal if your car is financed? Do you have to own the vehicle outright to do this legally?

Thanks in advance Gals/Guys!

why do people de-badge their cars? what's wrong with having the acura symbol on the back?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
frescagod said:
why do people de-badge their cars? what's wrong with having the acura symbol on the back?

For the Most part people solely remove the ACURA and the TSX badge, leaving the A badge in the middle... People believe it makes the car look "Cleaner" without interruption in the car's lines.

The Practice began back in the 1920's with bootleggers de-badging the car's to make it harder for the police to identify... it was later picked up by Hot Rod's and Muscle car's so the guy your racing wouldn't know what's under your hood...

Now Finally its been picked up by the import crowd

·
Registered
29 Posts
yeah i have been wondering about this

i don't know if i'm neccesarily embarassed at having an acura, i love my car to death

but i have thought about 'debadging' everything, including getting a new front grille. (i wouldn't even like the front grill if it didn't have an 'A' - seems like cheap reflective plastic?)

love everything else though.

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Vancouver
9,175 Posts
soulfire848 said:
yeah i have been wondering about this

i don't know if i'm neccesarily embarassed at having an acura, i love my car to death

but i have thought about 'debadging' everything, including getting a new front grille. (i wouldn't even like the front grill if it didn't have an 'A' - seems like cheap reflective plastic?)

love everything else though.
Well... it's not cuz people are embrassed about having an acura...no one is, but some people just wanna be JDM feel, or be different, that's why they change it to HOnda!!

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
i recently rebadged to honda accord..and it trips ppl out! lol i took the car to used lot cuz my friend was looking at a tsx and the salesman was like..is that an accord? its PRICELESS!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts