Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealer we're looking to deal with has a $397 dealer fee. Is that normal? I've heard of dealer fees b/f but what exactly do they go towards. Sales told me that 1/3 is profit and the rest goes towards getting the car ready (i.e. detail, gas, etc.)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
There's the "destination charge," which is about $600 and which is legitimate. If THAT'S what they're talking about, it means somehow they're giving you a break on it.

If that's not what they're talking about, it's BS.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, the we knew there's no way around the destination of $570. BUt they said there was an extra $395 in "dealer" fees. Sounded like BS to me too but they swore that there's no way around it. I'm taking I should fight that too?

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
It's just an extra BS fee for their profit. It is not a legitimate charge.
The legitimate charges are:

$570 for destination
approximately 350 for registration
approximately 45-200 for document fee
and of course TAX

No other fees are valid!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
The dealership fee is BS... It's just a scam to get you to pay more for the car...
Personally...if a dealership did that to me...I'm walking...

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
turn the table on him...something like...
"$397 ? OK, no problem...make it $500 and you throw in the body kit and we got a deal..."

say that to his face and see his eyes dilate...

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
Like some already said, its just another excuse for a dealer to tack on this fee to make "extra" profit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dear everyone:
I'm to give some of my opinion. I'm totally agree with everyone here which we should pay as less $ for the same car with great customer services. All out us don't want to pay MSRP and the best price out from the dealer. All the Lemon, Consumer Report........etc teach us how to beat up the dealer and play with the offer and trade-in. They always give us the picture in the car business is all bad apple and can not be trust..........but DO WE HAVE TO THINK THAT WAY?

Here is couple things which is what I think. 1.) DO the homework before we go to the dealer. Don't trust the the invoice price or below the invoice price. In the Jap dealer, the average mark up(MSRP) 8.5% to 9% for the invoice and nothing is over 11%. Then we should play with that bucket first. 2.5%-4% is most of dealer would give out and they can pay the salesman with small commision. I believe everyone should make for living. 2.) Try not to get anythings form the Business Office or any other aftermarket product such as body kit, window tinting, extented warrenty, protection package......etc. Never let them put it into the price to confuse you with the number. Because the aftermarket product has most of the money in it. 3.) Try to deal with the sales manager instead of salesman. Find out the name of the sales manager which the dealer you want to visit and direct deal with him/she. 4.) Fees! The business manager is not getting pay by basic salery. He only get pay by % on the fees and aftermarket product.

Remember., everyone is trying to make for living back home. They all have kid and wife just like we do. Just Be Fair!

Happy car shopping

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Good advice. A couple of things I would add:

(1) It always depends on supply and demand. With any given car, sometimes the dealers aren't having any trouble selling for full MSRP or very close to it, and then you just CAN'T get the car unless you're willing to pay that much. This has been the case for the TSX at some points (but it doesn't seem to be the case now). Also sometimes it might vary according to region; you might not be able to deal on the car anywhere near you, but if you go further you might do better.

(2) This is a theoretical point, but.....I don't think people should be so hung up on "MSRP," which is sort of an arbitrary number picked by the company, representing what they think they can get for the car. Like, would it make you happier if MSRP were a couple thousand more......so then they could have you pay the same price but you could be happy that it was a couple thousand below "MSRP"? :donno:

IMO the thing has nothing to do with MSRP, except that MSRP serves as a useful reference point for thinking about it and talking about it.

See what a car IS going for (because you're not going to do much better than that any time soon), decide how much you need to get THAT car, compare it to what other cars are going for that you might also be interested in, and then decide if it's a good buy.

Some cars go for above MSRP for a period of time, sometimes for a long time. Why? Because enough people feel it's worth more. FWIW I personally felt that way about the TSX; I was thrilled that I "only" had to pay MSRP to get it.

Back to the thread topic: No matter what you pay for the car, never let them add on BS extra charges.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Dealers in the NE have a Dealer Conveyance Fee, to which I replied is a bunch of B.S. That you are charging me for paperwork? I crossed it out on my negotiating counter-offer (along with some installation charges for accessories).

The manager said he could take that money off the car but still had to add the conveyance fee ($279) because his boss demands it as required. I didn't care because they removed it from the price we had negotiated but I still think it's a BS fee.

As for the accessories. The saleswoman told me that the service dept is separate from the dealership (even though they are the same bldg) and that the dealer gets charged by them to install your accessories which is why they have to charge you as well. I said I never heard of the service dept being separate and called BS again. She stood firm, I stood firm... a Mexican Standoff. The manager came by and adjusted what I deemed as acceptable out of the price of the car into one total number. Therefore she was either telling the truth and he took more out of the car or I was right and he cut those down, I'll never know. Anyone care to comment on that?

I get it next week and am still nervous that they will try some last minute crap to try and cut into my trade-in or something. I don't care if they're not USED salesmen I still feel their sleaze.

I agree complete arbitrary number on the MSRP. Since TSX are selling so well I'm not sure I understand Acura's business sense in not raising it, who knows. But I did have to pay around it minus the money I got off accessories and conveyance fee just b/c manuals, w/navi, in a certain color you desire are hard to find, no joke I called around and my bank USAA has it's own negotiators who called me back to say they could find below MSRP for that vehicle... you pay if you are specific, but I like being particular :)

Oh yeah and Larchmont, Lou Gehrig right?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
20Seven said:
Dealers in the NE have a Dealer Conveyance Fee, to which I replied is a bunch of B.S. That you are charging me for paperwork? I crossed it out on my negotiating counter-offer (along with some installation charges for accessories).

The manager said he could take that money off the car but still had to add the conveyance fee ($279) because his boss demands it as required. I didn't care because they removed it from the price we had negotiated but I still think it's a BS fee.

As for the accessories. The saleswoman told me that the service dept is separate from the dealership (even though they are the same bldg) and that the dealer gets charged by them to install your accessories which is why they have to charge you as well. I said I never heard of the service dept being separate and called BS again. She stood firm, I stood firm... a Mexican Standoff. The manager came by and adjusted what I deemed as acceptable out of the price of the car into one total number. Therefore she was either telling the truth and he took more out of the car or I was right and he cut those down, I'll never know. Anyone care to comment on that?

I get it next week and am still nervous that they will try some last minute crap to try and cut into my trade-in or something. I don't care if they're not USED salesmen I still feel their sleaze.

I agree complete arbitrary number on the MSRP. Since TSX are selling so well I'm not sure I understand Acura's business sense in not raising it, who knows. But I did have to pay around it minus the money I got off accessories and conveyance fee just b/c manuals, w/navi, in a certain color you desire are hard to find, no joke I called around and my bank USAA has it's own negotiators who called me back to say they could find below MSRP for that vehicle... you pay if you are specific, but I like being particular :)

Oh yeah and Larchmont, Lou Gehrig right?
Nope! It's Red Ruffing. Not a good pic of him, which is why he looks like me.
Or at least like me when I had hair. :D

About the other things.....as to whether she was telling the truth, I guess it could possibly be true there, but I don't think it's true of most places....

Well, let's backtrack. It's VERY possible that the sales and service departments are separate, but that's not what really matters here, I don't think; what matters is whether it's customary and usual to add an installation charge on accessories, and AFAIK it's not. From any experience I've ever had, whatever is listed as the price of an accessory includes everything that's involved with getting the accessory.

In general about bullshit charges, it still comes down somewhat to supply/demand, and the key thing is what's the total bottom-line amount that people are willing to pay. As you said, even though you got them to remove the "conveyance fee" (which I think is indeed a BS charge), you have to watch out that they don't add it back somewhere else, and it's even possible (although I think unlikely, in your case) that they'd make it a take-it-or-leave-it thing, if they thought they could sell these cars for the BS "full" price without too much trouble.

·
Slickness...
971 Posts
Lycan said:
Remember., everyone is trying to make for living back home. They all have kid and wife just like we do. Just Be Fair!

Happy car shopping
Hate to say it, but thats not my problem. When a sales guy or manager gives me that song and dance, I tell him the same thing. Then I tell him that the next guy that walks in here is going to pay msrp. You can make it up no problem with those people who dont research and dont haggle.

And besides, if they give it to you for a really good price, that usually means they already did well that day. Assuming you went in at night and at the end of the month to buy the car, which you should.

G

·
from what i've been researching, there's no such thing as a dealers fee. it is bs like the other guy said so don't fall for it.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
PHANTAYZIA said:
from what i've been researching, there's no such thing as a dealers fee. it is bs like the other guy said so don't fall for it.
Nicest thing I've ever been called. :D

Welcom, Phantayzia!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think it depends on locations.

In my case, all dears in my state want documentation fee $398,
However, one of my friends in other states did not need to pay documentation fee.

However, If dears in your state want documentation fee, you can get lower invoice price.
If not, you will get the a little higher invoice price.
As a result, I think the OTD will be same.

This is my detail quote. I hope it will help you to deal with your new car
( invoice price is not exact but the OTD is accurate)
TSX 05 auto without navi

Invoice : approximately $26000

OTD : $27300 before adding the OEM body kits ( protection package, cargo net, Taxes, $398 Documentation and $62 new vehicle registration/titling fees )

OTD : $28600 after adding the OEM body kits w/o a rear spoiler(additional $1300 for OEM body kits including installation, Tax, and 5 year warranty )

My car is comming from the Japan. I will get it in this week or next week.
I hope you will have the good deal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts