Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
The other white meat...
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Currently I live on the main 48 and am attending school. My fiance works for Wal-greens as a pharmacist and has been told that they are opening stores all over Hawaii. She is very interested in this opportunity and I am also. After I graduate, the option to move anywhere is endless.

I just wanted to get your guys opinions on where is the best place to be. Currently, I was looking into Hilo, HI and wanted to see if there was a better place to be.

I want to know Pros/Cons of Hawaii in general and also the places to look into and also stay away from and why for both reasons.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I suggest you visit first.. its VERY expensive to live here, cbs did a study and Hawaii is the hardest state to make a living.. lots of people come here and don't realize how expensive it is here and end up being homeless

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Hawaii
1,506 Posts
Yah man, hawaii is really nice and the car scene for this tiny island is BIG, but the cost of living is too high.. job opportunity too is another thing its an island... Thats some reason y im leaving.. But in case u still move here, move to Oahu... :)

·
Premium Member
3,260 Posts
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/w058VpVl3t4?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
The other white meat...
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I brought that up to my fiance and I don't think she realizes this. However, she believes her job (which pays over 100K per year) would allow us to live there fairly decently. I'm not talking a mansion or some huge house, but just be able to live and have some fun.

Watching that CNN segment was very eye opening. I'll show it to my fiance and see what she thinks. But as of right now, it's only a thought.

Thanks for all your info guys. If anyone else wants to chime in, please do. (about stuff other than cost of living)

·
The other white meat...
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oahu... Hilo, you dnt have jack crap to do... LOL
I just figured Hilo would be good since the University of Hawaii is there. Is Oahu on the big island?

·
Alberto Acosta - 808TSXer
1,176 Posts
no no, hilo is the big island.. thats where you dunn wanna go lol.. u wanna go Oahu (honolulu, waikiki are in Oahu)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just figured Hilo would be good since the University of Hawaii is there. Is Oahu on the big island?
LOL You sound like me before I moved here a long while ago. Oahu is an island just like the Big Island is. It is the busiest island where business is concerned so it has most of the job opportunities (and The University of Hawaii is on Oahu). It is also the most populated island although it's not the largest. If you are looking for a more laid back atmosphere than the mainland and generally cool-assed, down to earth people, Hawaii might be the place for you.

I have seen many people move here then find they can't handle it so they move back within two years. A lot of people I have met who were born here sometimes want to leave because it seems like the mainland is more exciting and has more benefits. I always advise against leaving but, you know, sometimes people feel they need to see someplace else other than what they've know all their lives which is part of the reason I came here. I am here to stay despite the fact that my pay was actually higher on the mainland than what I'm making now. The benefits far outweigh and negatives.

About the cost of living. You have to be smart and know where to shop. Some places have similar prices as the mainland but others are just ridiculous. SOME ADVICE: Make Costco and/or Sam's Club your friend...lol. I can't help you with the cost to buy a home because those are just HIGH! I had a 4 bedroom, three story townhome on the mainland. Here, I have a two bedroom, one level condo but that's all I need.

If you are seriously considering moving to Hawaii you should pick up a book called "So You Want To Live In Hawaii" by Toni Polancy. It is a very comprehensive writing on what you can expect if you move here. It breaks it down by island and explains what the lifestyle is on each. I read it before making the final decision to move and it was on point. They also update it every few years so the info remains relevant.

Hope this helped. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

·
The other white meat...
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Ollie. Yeah, we are down to earth people. I believe the life style of being chill and relaxed will come easy to us. We're already Sam's club members so we're set there. I appreciate your input. Thanks!

·
1,176 Posts
Thanks Ollie. Yeah, we are down to earth people. I believe the life style of being chill and relaxed will come easy to us. We're already Sam's club members so we're set there. I appreciate your input. Thanks!
lol!

·
1,506 Posts
for pros, hawaii is very accesible coz its a tiny island and its pretty close to4beverywhere ur only opponent was traffic but other than that Hawaii is really a paradise... Im pretty sure u guys will love it here, just stay away from waianae lol... Thats where all the stolen cars get recovered... All burnt though lol

·
The other white meat...
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...Im pretty sure u guys will love it here, just stay away from waianae lol... Thats where all the stolen cars get recovered... All burnt though lol
This is the type of stuff I need to know. I wanna know where to stay away from. Which area is the most safe. Stuff like that.

·
1,506 Posts
This is the type of stuff I need to know. I wanna know where to stay away from. Which area is the most safe. Stuff like that.
I would recommend Pearl City(of course I live here lol nah nah) but yah pc is great bcoz its pretty much the central and close to everywhere... Houses in waikele is good too and some part of Salt Lake like moanalua... Those are my suggestions... The no-no's are kalihi, waianae, waipahu(so so) u can google it too so u can have ideas... Hope that helps :)

·
1,506 Posts
Or if u guys love the beach, go to Kailua... I used to live there when I was still with my mom's, I love that small town.. 5mins drive only to the beach but its a pretty far drive from town

·
Registered
211 Posts
Don't forget about Kapolei. That's a pretty nice area too. I would recommend Ewa Beach but it's a little far from town and there's a traffic problem (I used to live there). Some parts of Waipahu don't seem too bad but there is one side that's kind of rough.

·
1,176 Posts
i live in Kapolei/Makakilo... +1 to Pat about wainae n kalihi.. LMFAO!!! andddd ummm Ko'Olina is a great place to live also, and it has good security n controlled access... i say personally dnt live in town, if u dnt like too much noise at night, or crowds of ppl walking 24/7 around the streets... and deff not china town.. lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
I say you should visit, but set aside some time to not do touristy stuff and pretend you live here.. go to the supermarket, look at neighborhoods, check out how much things are etc.. whenever I go to Vegas I act like I live there and hardly do tourist things hahaha

·
Registered TSX Member
729 Posts
no area is safe on oahu unless u living on a private lot thats gated & have security 24/7, there are crackheads all over the place so gotta know your surroundings. like everone said waianae is one area u dont want to be to chill, other than that locals here are cool & friendly...as for wal-greens there's one in kailua, kalihi & in honolulu by alamoana, another one will be develop in nuuanu soon!

·
Registered
156 Posts
no area is safe on oahu unless u living on a private lot thats gated & have security 24/7, there are crackheads all over the place so gotta know your surroundings. like everone said waianae is one area u dont want to be to chill, other than that locals here are cool & friendly...as for wal-greens there's one in kailua, kalihi & in honolulu by alamoana, another one will be develop in nuuanu soon!
very well said

1 - 20 of 31 Posts