Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A deer committed suicide on my car - fortunately the air bags did not deploy. Impact speed was likely less than 15 mph. Front facia, hood, driver side fender and driver door skin, drivers side headlight group will be replaced - estimate $5000.00. The adjuster lady said it will likely be more when shop takes off the panels. The insurance is bracing for about $6K loss.

The deer jumped out from a stand of trees right in front - there was virtually no time to react.

I am bummed! The car has less than 5000 miles on it.

If you drive the burbs - keep a keen eye out. This is a bad time of the year.
 

·
, Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
10,086 Posts
Ugh!!!
And I don't mean (mainly) about the deer.

Most important thing, of course, is that you're OK.
Deer are one of the things I really worry about, especially on certain roads that obviously have them (which is a lot around here) and especially at night. Not only can your car get killed, but you can too.

Must have been a big hit, and a big deer?

Let us know how it goes.

BTW.....anything you can say about how it happened?
Any way you could have avoided it, in hindsight?
(Answered in the edit.)

(We're always looking for pointers.)
 

·
, Administrator Emeritus
Joined
·
10,660 Posts
As Larch has said, the important thing is that everyone is ok. Not such good news about the deer, but your can can be fixed.
Please do keep us updated :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
larchmont said:
Ugh!!!
And I don't mean (mainly) about the deer.

Most important thing, of course, is that you're OK.
Deer are one of the things I really worry about, especially on certain roads that obviously have them (which is a lot around here) and especially at night. Not only can your car get killed, but you can too.

Must have been a big hit, and a big deer?

Let us know how it goes.

BTW.....anything you can say about how it happened?
Any way you could have avoided it, in hindsight?

(We're always looking for pointers.)
Thanks Larch - no time to react it literally jumped out in front from the left - I think the deer was trying to make it one hopper across the road.

I have to drive the road to get home it is right next to a Regional Park and corn field are on the other side - there are always lots of deer - I have managed to spot them so far except this time. I turn on the highs and squat down a bit it helps to see their eyes. I also scan the sides of the road. Then again if one is standing inside a stand of trees just outside the peripheral vision nothing can be done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joker said:
As Larch has said, the important thing is that everyone is ok. Not such good news about the deer, but your can can be fixed.
Please do keep us updated :thumbsup:
My can is just fine - it nearly needed cleaning after the hit!!!

Anyone for venison?
 

·
whatever
Joined
·
4,377 Posts
Joker said:
Venison? :donno:
joker been eating too much tofu obviously ;)
 

·
whatever
Joined
·
4,377 Posts
ouch, sorry to hear that OW. It could be much worse.
Deer is right behind cellphoning-while-driving people on my list of horrors.

So the deer was killed by the impact ? at 15 mph ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,040 Posts
Probably not killed on impact, but must have been wobbly or at least some broken bones. llllll9
 

·
, Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
5,757 Posts
tradsf said:
Probably not killed on impact, but must have been wobbly or at least some broken bones. llllll9
I agree with you, a friend of mine hit a deer at a slow speed once and he stopped to see if it was okay. The deer got up and hopped away. Probably in pain, but it was able to go back into the woods.
 

·
, Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
8,663 Posts
I wonder if Californians ever eat much venison... :D

Sorry to hear about the accident..most importantly is that you're ok :nod:
 

·
, Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
8,663 Posts
Joker said:
Before today I had never even heard of that word :laugh:
:spit: :D
 

·
whatever
Joined
·
4,377 Posts
WanTing said:
poor deer.. :(

and , no I never had venison... and never will..
I think taiwanese believe venison (+ some herb) is good for the man :naughty:
(or is it pigs tail :hmmph: )
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Top