Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On another site which shall remain nameless, a dude (name of Duugk) mentions "Deer Whistles" as one of his car's features.

(BTW I don't think Duugk knows we're here -- I wish somebody could clue him in, although it's hard I know.....)

But anyway..... Does anybody know if those things work?
I assume he means those things you can mount on the front bumpers to shoo deer out of the way. I bought a couple of those, like 12 years ago, and they've been sitting in the center console compartment of my car every since. Actually make that 3 cars. That's right, I got them 3 cars ago, and I've never gotten up off my sweet a** to install them. Imagine all the extra gasoline I've burned carting around that extra weight all these years. :D

So, anybody know, do they actually work?

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Whenever I go camping in central PA, almost half of the pickup trucks have them. The other half has a dead deer in the back with a fresh gunshot wound. With that being said, I haven't gotten a clue whether it works or not. :donno:
I would be interested in the answer to this too.

(Pssss, if you've had it in your car for 12 years and haven't had any incident with deers, I say leave it in no matter what the result is. Don't jinx yourself.)

·
Registered
954 Posts
larchmont said:
But anyway..... Does anybody know if those things work?
I assume he means those things you can mount on the front bumpers to shoo deer out of the way. I bought a couple of those, like 12 years ago, and they've been sitting in the center console compartment of my car every since. Actually make that 3 cars. That's right, I got them 3 cars ago, and I've never gotten up off my sweet a** to install them. Imagine all the extra gasoline I've burned carting around that extra weight all these years. :D

So, anybody know, do they actually work?
I've heard that they may work, but most of the time they are improperly mounted.

In addition, most newer cars don't have bumpers big enough to mount them in the proper place, which is why you don't see them around as much.

I agree, if you've had them in your car this long, I'd say that they must be doing something... :)

FYI, I've seen quite a few deer while driving, but I've never (knock on wood) had any accidents with one.

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
A good answer: CLICK HERE, then scroll down to last part of the article.

I'd suggest that spraying your car's tires with wolf or cougar urine would be at least as effective! (If you don't know about these wonderful homeowner products, you haven't had those stupid oversized-rabbits-with-antlers eat your garden!)

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
bob shiftright said:
A good answer: CLICK HERE, then scroll down to last part of the article.

I'd suggest that spraying your car's tires with wolf or cougar urine would be at least as effective! (If you don't know about these wonderful homeowner products, you haven't had those stupid oversized-rabbits-with-antlers eat your garden!)
lol

I like this quote:
Moreover, deer and other game animals are a natural resource with economic value derived from hunting expenditures.
I'm telling my kids that when they first see 'Bambi'. :D

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Great, I'm gonna empty out my windshield wiper fluid and gonna fill 'er up with some of that good stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts