Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just like Denso anything and bought IK-20 which is the fitment listed
on Denso's site.

They are not identical to NGK IZFR6K-11 which came out. About 2mm
shorter reach.

What gives ?

Anyway, the original plugs were gapped .41, one was .44.
I set them all to .43 and the idle is smoother.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,621 Posts
TSXTuner said:
I just like Denso anything and bought IK-20 which is the fitment listed
on Denso's site.

They are not identical to NGK IZFR6K-11 which came out. About 2mm
shorter reach.

What gives ?

Anyway, the original plugs were gapped .41, one was .44.
I set them all to .43 and the idle is smoother.
i thoguth IK-20 is some wut the same thing as the stock NGK IZFR6K-11 or at least the same range ~
if u r lookin for a improvement .. u should go for IK-22/IK-24 ~
 

·
, Administrator Emeritus
Joined
·
4,123 Posts
Not true, naturally aspirated engines are more optimal running colder plugs if the car is constantly being driven hard as well. IK20 would be a factory standard replacement recommendation along with NGK standards, instead of being an improvement.
 

·
Sleeperus-Maximus
Joined
·
164 Posts
JUST FYI, iridium plugs are a waste of money. Car makers put these in cars because of the only advantage they hold over regular copper plugs. The change interval. Iridium and platinum plugs can last 2-3x as long as regular plugs. That is to say instead of 50K mile changes you can go 100-150K miles before needing to change them. Other then that they do jack shit but eat a hole in your wallet. If you think about it, even if you replace your plugs 3x and you are using copper plugs, the price difference between the copper and iridium plugs still wouldn’t make it cost effective. That is to say it costs less to change out copper plugs 3x then it is to buy ONE set of iridium.

The claims of more power and better MPG are myth.

Also, running colder plugs is no a good thing on stock engines. There is a reason why there are different types of plugs. Having a colder plug is actually going to hirt the cars ability to properly and fully set off the air/fuel mix. That is to say you get less power and worse MPG if you are using the wrong plug. Of course if you use too warm a plug you can cause detonation which is also not good.
Unless you are installing forced induction, nitrous or adding a lot of compression and agressive cams, adding colder plugs isnt something you want to do.

Hell, unless you have over 50K miles on your car you dont even need to change the stock ones if your car is or is near stock.

Just get some NGK copper plugs, the same step as the stock ones, and you will be fine.
 

·
Subway Pervert
Joined
·
59 Posts
best spark: copper plugs, baby :)

and my car runs denso iridiums bone stock *shrug*

edit: that was a little too brief. if you're going to go with colder plugs, you should typically start out going down one heat range for every 50~80hp over stock you're making. some cars need more, some need less.

if you go too cold, you'll foul the plug, lose mileage, and just run crappy all around.
 

·
Sleeperus-Maximus
Joined
·
164 Posts
jsmonet said:
best spark: copper plugs, baby :)

and my car runs denso iridiums bone stock *shrug*

edit: that was a little too brief. if you're going to go with colder plugs, you should typically start out going down one heat range for every 50~80hp over stock you're making. some cars need more, some need less.

if you go too cold, you'll foul the plug, lose mileage, and just run crappy all around.

pretty much what i said, but more concise. GJ monet.
 

·
*Metalhead*
Joined
·
2,657 Posts
what plugs come in the TSX stock? I haven't had a chance to pull them and see.
 

·
Sleeperus-Maximus
Joined
·
164 Posts
probably some platnum or iridium plugs, newer cars tend to use these so the companies can say the car only needs a tunr up after 100K miles or some bullshit like that.
 

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
Joined
·
880 Posts
I had good experience with iridium on my old av6.. used to only get 280 mile/14 gallon.. after getting the ngk iridium, it went to around 320/14 gallon.. even driving hard.. denso didn't make a difference.. it was an stock accord.. but they're only good for like 30k, after that.. the mpg gets really bad.. i got my plugs on ebay for like 4-5 dollar each.. so it wasn't that bad..
 

·
Subway Pervert
Joined
·
59 Posts
1TSXer said:
what plugs come in the TSX stock? I haven't had a chance to pull them and see.
very likely denso plat's. look in your owner's manual under the service section. if it says to change your plugs at 60k or so, they're most likely platinums.

I don't know of any common production cars running copper plugs stock. thing with them is that they last about 10~15k miles. on an inline 4 it's so easy to swap plugs that the interval doesn't matter very much. you'll spend a max of 30 minutes from gap to finish changing your plugs.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top