Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made the decision to buy a car, narrowed it down and picked one (TSX With Navigation). Now I have to decide whether to get it in a MT or AT. I have driven MT a few times but we are talking about in a parking lot or around a town for a few miles with limited traffic. I have done it, but am not proficient. How difficult would it be to have the TSX as my first MT car? Is the clutch or shifter any different than a typical car? That is, is it any more difficult (or easy)? Ideally, I would have learned on some beater back when I was in high school but that didn't happen. I certainly am not planning on spending a few thousand to buy a car JUST for learning. I live a few hours north of LA and am in LA only a few times a month. Traffic is not a huge concern but it happens occasionally.

So with that said, should I take the plunge or not?

I know there is no right answer but would like some different opinions.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
I have a mt TSX, and have also had other mt cars. I don't think it really matters what/where/when you learn, but how you learn. You said you already have some experience driving a stick, so my best answer would be to drive on of each.

You will find that once you get past the initial adjustment of shifting gears manually, that it will come naturally. I have no idea how the automatic drives as i only test drove the mt car. Also the Drive by wire is a little tricky in the mt car. There is a discussion on that also in the forum (cannt remember what subforum)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
hmmm...I think if you know the basics, you should be fine. After you drive it for a while, it'll come naturally to you and you won't have a problem. Definately do alot of practice when you get your car if you go that route...especially starting uphill from a stop, at least for me (scared me the most when there is a car behind me)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
I had trouble learning how to drive MT, but once I got the hang of it, it became second nature....I like it, but sometimes it can be a pain. My first MT car was a '93 Nissan240SX SE fastback, best car I ever owned! (1992 Accord sedan comes in second)

The TSX is a pretty good car w/ MT.:nod:

·
Registered
294 Posts
im 17, first car ever, learned how to drive stick over the years from the family. but i wasnt good when i started with the TSX. you get used to it good. im happy with the manual.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
I don't think you'd have more problems driving the 6MT CL9, the drive-by-wire isn't hard to control when you aren't pushing hard and the clutch is light and there's plenty of low end torque in 1st gear for take-off. Easy and forgiving if you ask me. Since you've driven manual before ... This wouldn't be a chore or a task. It's actually quite a complimenting drive, Honda didn't make this a tough one to drive from factory.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Personally I don't think you could've picked a better car for your first manual as Honda (I'm assuming Acura to be the same) build some of the best gearboxes arround. The Accord box is really a joy to use as it's slick, well weighted, has a really positive action and the clutch is also pretty light for a 2.4L engine.

I'd suggest taking one out for a long test drive though as despite being excellent it may not be your cup of tea.

·
Registered
17 Posts
02-Type-S said:
Personally I don't think you could've picked a better car for your first manual as Honda (I'm assuming Acura to be the same) build some of the best gearboxes arround. The Accord box is really a joy to use as it's slick, well weighted, has a really positive action and the clutch is also pretty light for a 2.4L engine.

I'd suggest taking one out for a long test drive though as despite being excellent it may not be your cup of tea.
I agree!! You couldn't pick a better car to learn on. Honda/Acura have smooth gear boxes, light clutches and being a 2.4L you have enough torque to easily get moving without to many adjustments to make. GL!!

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,350 Posts
Toyota's tranny is more smooth....

don't u guys get the "stuck" feeling going from 1st to 2nd? My friends in TSX and RSX both get the same thing. Go back to dealer, and they say it is normal, lol.

anyways, I learn manual driving on a 80 celica. I still drive that thing once a while lol!

·
Registered
67 Posts
My 2005 TSX is my first MT car that I had bought.

The way I went about doing it was I learned how to drive first. Learning how to drive and drive stick was a bitch for me so I just learned on an automatic. Once I got my licence and got the hand of driving, I learned how to drive stick. I learned off a 1999 Integra Type R. At first my friend had his stock clutch in. Then later down the road he had put in a performance clutch. This clutch was tougher, unlike the stock one where it was soft like butter. He also had me drive his winter beater and its a 1990 Integra GS. The clutch on that thing is hard.

I would have not bought this car if I was uncomfortable in driving. Meaning, in traffic. I agree that Honda/Acura are one of the best cars to drive in MT. I have driven VWs and they didnt seem to cut it for me. Honda/Acura clutches are soft and make it easier for you to pinpoint the sweet spot.

If it was me, and wanted to buy a car just to learn how to drive stick, I would have gotten a beater. That way you wont have to spend as much on repairs. If you can drive a beater you can drive anything.

Good luck with the decision!

·
Registered
17 Posts
SAZABI said:
Toyota's tranny is more smooth....

don't u guys get the "stuck" feeling going from 1st to 2nd? My friends in TSX and RSX both get the same thing. Go back to dealer, and they say it is normal, lol.

anyways, I learn manual driving on a 80 celica. I still drive that thing once a while lol!
LOL, My first car was an 82 Celica 5spd. I learned stick on that car too. Toyota trannys are also smooth, but Hondas just seem buttery smooth :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I am not buying the TSX as just a car to learn manual on. I wanted to buy it because I want a new car. The decision to choose manual or automatic just has to be decided.

·
Registered
67 Posts
sygyzy said:
Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I am not buying the TSX as just a car to learn manual on. I wanted to buy it because I want a new car. The decision to choose manual or automatic just has to be decided.

get it in manual....if you can drive manual you can drive anything

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
I'm still kicking myself for not getting the manual... then again, I've got my other car for that...

·
Registered
67 Posts
TSX 'R' US said:
I'm still kicking myself for not getting the manual... then again, I've got my other car for that...

how can you NOT get it in manual??? tisk tisk...we should take your TSX card away...LOL j/k

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For those that have MT's, if pricing were different, how much of a premium would you pay to have the MT? I know that normally AT's cost more but let's say this situation is reversed.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
If I'm not wrong, manual should always be cheaper than automatic transmissions. Same model, same grade, same production, option specifications.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts