Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didnt know that the oil that is in the new tsx is meant to break in the engine and last till 7500 miles. So I did my regular oil change at jiffly lube when my car hit 3500. Amy ramifications of this?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
I doubt it would be anything huge -- certainly nothing any time soon, and probably not huge at any point. First of all, some dealers, including mine, have been recommending that we do it at 3750 miles, which is essentially the same as when you did it. I didn't follow that, but I think we can be sure that even considering the possible self-interest involved in that recommendation, they wouldn't be saying it if it was terrible.

And from these sites, we know that LOTS of people have done the first oil change that soon or very close to it, and nothing terrible has happened. Which doesn't answer the whole thing, because the real question is whether there would be anything down the road. I believe Honda/Acura that it's best to wait longer, but considering that recommedation of the dealers plus that so many of the internet site members (who are mostly pretty knowledgeable) have felt comfortable doing it sooner, I'd be shocked if there was anything real bad about what you did.

As you can see, I don't have any real knowledge on this -- I'm just considering what others have said and done.

Let's see what our real experts can say about it.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
That's not a problem, you'll be fine with the 3500 miles oil change. If anything, doing more oil changes as a preventative maintenance would be better than not doing any periodically. Honda engines are designed to rev high and to ensure maximum longevity, the correct application type of lubricant and periodic care will ensure a smooth lifetime.

I always switch to full synthetic lubricants in all my Hondas once pass the break-in period and maintain a strict low periodic change interval based on application usage.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Noel said:
......I always switch to full synthetic lubricants in all my Hondas once pass the break-in period and maintain a strict low periodic change interval based on application usage.
So you don't put any credence in the "official" recommendation?
(i.e. that we wait a lot longer?)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
not a problem... I did mine at like 4k

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
There's never gonna be an official recommendation. Follow the owners manual/maintenance guidelines from factory if you want to remain on the minimal line of acceptance. :rofl:

This is my personal usage on/and across my multiple Hondas. :loser:

3500 Miles or 5000 KMs (Recommended where vehicle sees constant redline daily) - Application type - Full synthetic, road specific oils.

1500 Miles or 2500 KMs (Recommended where vehicle is only driven in redline when used) - Application type - Full synthetic, race specific oils.

It's actually those who don't do any sort of maintenance that's a concern. Even late/prolonged maintenance is quite alright if the car is not driven hard. :squint:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Noel said:
There's never gonna be an official recommendation.....
It's dangerous to question what Noel says, because you'll usually be wrong.

But in this case, I think it's just a question of what you mean by "official."

And I was the one who used the phrase "official recommendation," so I'm the one who gets to say what it means. :D

All I meant by the phrase, anyway, was: What Honda/Acura says.
(I'm not sure why you wouldn't consider that "official.")

What Honda/Acura says for the TSX (in the manual, for example) is that you should change the oil every 10,000 miles under "normal" conditions, and every 5000 miles under "severe" conditions. They give pretty specific defintions of "severe," and I'm pretty sure that the great majority of us fall under "normal." HOWEVER (I didn't know this before), I see that people in Canada are told to automatically follow the "severe" schedule -- which I would say means that people in much of the northern U.S. should follow it too.

I didn't find anything in the manual that specifically emphasized the importance of waiting a while before the first oil change. I have come across material about this online and I thought it was directly from Honda/Acura, but I'm not 100% sure.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
larchmont said:
It's dangerous to question what Noel says, because you'll usually be wrong. (I'm not sure why you wouldn't consider that "official.")
Damn, I guess they better strip my rights and title pronto. :eek:

Keyword is "recommendation" ... That itself is a question of what's exact. In this case, this is the biggest variable in ownership maintenance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts