Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Guitar and Amp Junkie
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone buy an extended warranty when you purchased your TSX (or any other car for that matter)? I'm interested in what Acura may have available as far as extended warranties go, what they cover, and how much they cost.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I didn't but that's only cuz I'm leasing. Otherwise I would. Warranties vary from dealership to dealership because of the ownership. Some dealerships sell acuracare, others sell their own parent organization's service. Best way to find out pricing is to call a dealership and just ask for "The F&I Manager"... don't explain why... just ask for him/her. Then ask what the pricing is for varying mileage and terms. Salespeople generally don't have that information, or are trained not to give it out.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
No. Extended warranties wouldn't be sold if they didn't make money, so I'll roll the dice and bet on "Acura".

(I didn't bet on VW though, we bought one for the Passat)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Extended warranties are like insurance... in the cases where you do actually redeem them, you generally get more than your money back.

They make money on the WHOLE, but not on an individual basis

·
Registered
332 Posts
Be careful with 3rd party warranties - read the fine print carefully. Some have deductibles and complicated claim procedures which may require an adjuster to give pre-approval, and you may be out of pocket on the claim amount until you are reimbursed.

Acura Canada only gives a 3yr/60,000km warranty, so I got the 7/160 package. It duplicates the initial factory warranty terms including roadside assistance.

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
I skipped out on the extended warranty offer.

The finance lady tried real hard to convince me to get it but I respectively declined and just decided to put some faith in Acura.

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
jcg878 said:
No. Extended warranties wouldn't be sold if they didn't make money, so I'll roll the dice and bet on "Acura".

(I didn't bet on VW though, we bought one for the Passat)

As with insurance, if you-know-something-they-don't-know, it can be a good investment. Like about that $2000 transistor that fails in the center console, killing the lights.

I wouldn't have considered this 6 months ago, since the components that I'd be concerned about, like the clutch, aren't covered. Now, between the failing transmissions and the electronics, I am considering puechasing it. I'm pretty sure I have until the end of the original warranty to buy it, though.

BTW, the prices are negotiable. Shop around. I bought the one on our Honda from a dealer in South Carolina.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
I never got one before but I did get it on the TSX. Usually I don't get it because of exactly what JCG said -- the reason they sell this is because they make money on it, meaning that on the average we lose money on it.

The reason I did get it on the TSX is sort of related to what Bob S said. Those are the kinds of things that tend to happen in the first model year. I knew all about first model years from my old '77 320i, where everything that could go wrong did go wrong. I wouldn't have gotten the TSX if I was really afraid of first-model-year stuff, but since I knew that the car was a bit of a crapshoot, I was more than happy to take the extended warranty. But I don't think I'd do it in the future except for a first-model-year car.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Certainly from cost-benefit point of view, the warranty company will come out ahead. (if they didn't they wouldn't be selling warranties for very long). Another way to look at it is risk mitigation - pay a fixed price now, or take your chances and pay anywhere from nothing to a lot of money, later. The profit made by the warranty company is warranty cost - avg. claim amount, is your cost for the security.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I didn't yet but I will be buying the extended warranty before the factory warranty runs out.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Yep, I agree that extended warranties are like insurance... it's all a gamble.

I didn't get it on my GS-R, and interestingly enough, the salesperson didn't really ask why or try to persuade me otherwise.

In the future, I may consider it, but like others have said, I'll check into what is covered vs. how much it costs. The big ticket items on a car are the clutch (if manual), transmission and engine. Electrical can also add up.

·
Registered
549 Posts
i just purchased one... about 2 weeks ago... i had 18,000 miles on the car when i bought it... and i average about 24k a year... i purchased the ZERO deductible for 6 year, 100k miles - $750 - that is $50 above their cost...

(yes genuine acura care warranty)

if you look online you will find dealers offering the warranty online... shop around and tell them your best price and make them beat it....

if you buy it near the end of the month they are more willing to bargain because they want to have more numbers in their books...

if all fails - call my 2 dealers - suburban acura - 248 471 9200 and talk to adam davis - sales manager... tell him vik patel sent you... see if they will work with you... he is good about things - he has wokred with everything...

if they wont give you a good deal - call up ann arbor acura - 734 663 7770, ask for the acura financial manager - tell him that i sent you also.... he will work with you..

i did the paper work over fax...and after about 10 days i rcvd the new warranty card from acura care in the mail saying i have the 100k mile warranty... it is the exact same one that is included with the car in the first place

·
a girl with an acura...
31 Posts
i just picked my tsx up today! woohoo!
i purchased the extended warranty simply because the dealer said if i don't use it for the length of the extension, they will refund my payment in full. for $1250 i'll take that chance, why turn down a money back guarantee?
the way i see it, if i unfortunately need it, i'm covered...if not, i get my money back!!

·
Registered
549 Posts
they wont refund you in full. read the contract... they will PRORATE the refund..... and only if you have NOT used the warranty at all.... so for example, in 3 years you need a new alternator that costs $1400, they arnt going to refund you anything :)

·
a girl with an acura...
31 Posts
vp911 said:
they wont refund you in full. read the contract... they will PRORATE the refund..... and only if you have NOT used the warranty at all.... so for example, in 3 years you need a new alternator that costs $1400, they arnt going to refund you anything :)
i read the contract...if i do not use anything on the warranty, i will get a full refund. i just have to contact acura care within 30 days or some number of miles after it expires and they cut me a check. it's a win-win situation...if i need it, then i'll be glad i had it and won't care about a refund, since i had it when i needed it.
:)

·
Registered
549 Posts
interesting, my contract says the opposite... :-\

well ive already used my warranty anyways... cd changer on the navi stopped working... the replacement navi was $2300... lol

thanks for the info

1 - 20 of 28 Posts