Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got rear-ended in my new TSX after only 5 weeks with it. The guy was talking on the cell phone not paying attention. Now I come to find out that the damage might be worse than though and it might have to be racked up and the unibody straightened. The car 3,700 miles on it. I put 2500 miles on it just driving it from Florida to California. In California insurance companies have some sort of idemnity against diminished value claims but I have read that I can sue the driver and if I win, the insurance company might step in and cover it on his behalf. I'm really bummed about the car but I'm willing to live with it if the damage is only cosmetic but if it has to be straightened, I'm done with the car. I owe too much on it to start running into problems down the road. I took it to the one of the best shops in town that specializes in BMWs and was recommended by everyone in the world.

Even if the repair is warrantied, I still have to be wasting time taking it back for repairs, rental cars not to mention that I want to trade it in, I will get $2,000-$3,000 less for it because of the accident. I want to just sell trade it in, get a new one and try to get the difference covered by the insurance.

I actually contacted the used car buyer at the dealership and asked him if he had two identical cars but one had been in an accident but had been fixed perfectly, how much less would I get and he told me $2,000-$3,000 on a new car like mine.

Anyway, has anyone out there, especially in California had any luck getting an insurance company to cover the diminished value after an accident?

IB

·
Registered
86 Posts
Wow that sucks. I really don't have any information for you, but how bad did the damage look after the accident? I was in an accident myself and I only had the car for about a month. I am pissed as you are.

I don't get the whole frame damage thing. Is that something you can tell with the naked eye? Have you gotten an estimate on the damages?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hispanic208 said:
Wow that sucks. I really don't have any information for you, but how bad did the damage look after the accident? I was in an accident myself and I only had the car for about a month. I am pissed as you are.

I don't get the whole frame damage thing. Is that something you can tell with the naked eye? Have you gotten an estimate on the damages?
I didn't notice it at first but when the body shop looked at he started talking to himself saying "hmmm." I asked him what's wrong and he said the door gaps were off and then he showed them to me and he was right. He says that most Acuras are very good about door gaps so he doubts it came that way. Also, the narrower gap was on the side where the majority of the impact came. Seems to coincidental. They can pull the unibody to the right dimensions but metal fatigues and I don't care what they say, once you start bending metal around it gets weaker. Also, glass, interior panels, etc can shift a bit and get loose so that over time it becomes a rattle trap. I had a Toyota pickup fixed one time, they did an amazing job and you couldn't tell it had ever been crashed but it was never the same again. It had all sorts of really bad rattles I could never get rid of on that side only. The driver's side which was all original NEVER rattled after 8 years.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Oh man. That's terrible news to hear. Now i'm a little worried about my situation even though it was lesser damage. I'm not sure if we are allowed to post websites, but I found this one site about diminished value and what you can do. Check it out.. http://www.ican2000.com/help/dvpros/

Once my car is repaired, i'm going to gave a certified I-CAR auto body shop inspect my vehicle for quality of repairs and any other hidden damage. I'm also going to get a professional diminished value report..and go from there. Good luck with your situation, and keep us informed. But i know exactly how you feel. I literally feel like trading in my car even though the damage isn't that bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts