Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
GO BLUE!
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a few parts coming in for the past weeks so I was very excited about putting them on this weekend.

Friday was sunny and 65F the whole day, but Saturday the temperature plunged to mid 30F so I had to give up putting on my sway bar since the car parks outside... :(

So I decided I could work on the CT Short shifter inside the car. Turns out the whole process was a LOT harder than what I read online... The console was a PITA to take off but I managed to get all the way down to removing all the b****h wire holder clip off and was left with the center cable clip (shown below). I tried for another one hour and had to end up putting everything back together because of the date...

So any idea/suggestion on how to remove that clip that holds down the center cable??

[the calbe on the left] Pic from DIY section

·
That's Doctor
231 Posts
When I installed my Mugen shortshifter assembly, that shim was the hardest to get off. I used a channel lock pliers pulling straight up and a flathead screwdriver pushing it up from its lowest point (I removed the coin tray and radio amp). Took me 20 minutes of solid sweat and tears.

But for the CT shifter extender thing, I'm pretty sure you don't need to remove that shim. You just need to detach the cable from the bottom of the shift lever (which you can do from the open passage on the side of the assembly) and then put the adapter on and re-attach the linkage.

Not sure if it helps but I have a DIY:
Everyday Engineering: '04-'08 TSX Mugen Short Shifter How-To

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,037 Posts
If you are talking about the black plastic piece holding the cable to the shifter box, all you do is grab some pliers and turn it to the left to unlock it. and turn it to the right when you're ready to lock it back in place.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
Use an L shape flat head. Kinda like a pry bar but small enough to fit down there. Just pry it out and it'll come off

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Performance
8,413 Posts
Thats part was actually easy for me...no idea why

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
So I decided I could work on the CT Short shifter inside the car. Turns out the whole process was a LOT harder than what I read online... The console was a PITA to take off but I managed to get all the way down to removing all the b****h wire holder clip off and was left with the center cable clip (shown below).

[the calbe on the left] Pic from DIY section
You said you were installing the Comptech short shifter. You DO NOT need to remove the left cable nor the right cable in your picture. All you have to do is remove the 4 bolts holding the shifter housing down (you can see one below the right cable in your picture above). Once you remove that, you can lift the housing and lean it to one side to get the CT short shifter in place.

I have done my CT short shifter twice. I had to go in again since I didn't push the short shifter on all the way (you will meet resistance, then push harder until it clicks into place).

I hope you didn't lock your console back in place and just left it sitting there. If not, the easiest way to pull it off is to start at the back. Open your cupholder until it is about 95% of the way open, then stick your fingers in there. Put your thumb in the parking brake opening, and then yank up.

The next step you move to the front of the console. Stick your thumb in the leather boot and put your index finger in the front. Kind of pinch it and lift up. You can unclip the 4 clips near the leather boot by sticking your finger in there.

It is so simple to do, but it takes so long. I think I took 2 hours to do mine, but I also took some time to clean some parts. I also found some disconnected stuff (possibly from the dealer replacing my dashboard), so I had to go in and fix their mess.

On a side note, I tried to remove the left cable just to see if it is as hard as everyone says it is. I only got mine to move a millimeter, and in the process, I got it scratched up alot.

·
GO BLUE!
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the advices!!

Socalitrojan, I've tried just lifting the housing and work on getting the plastic shift ball out from the side opening, but it was so tight and I was having hard time applying force because I was afraid the still-attached shifter cable (the center cable that is clipped down) will snap, will it??

Fortunately I haven't put back on my console as I am still waiting to replace my bulb. I am planning on putting lube on the clip when putting back so it's easier to take them off... Has anyone done that? if so would you recommend??

·
That's Doctor
231 Posts
It's not really friction that keeps that thing from moving. The shim is a really strong spring that is concave towards the lever. It's the compressive force that keeps the shim (and linkage) in place. I think adding grease will only make it harder to grab with pliers the next time.

Edit: I see, you were talking about the console clips, not the linkage clip.

·
-
1,560 Posts
....Fortunately I haven't put back on my console as I am still waiting to replace my bulb. I am planning on putting lube on the clip when putting back so it's easier to take them off... Has anyone done that? if so would you recommend??

I greased up those clips before I reinstalled the the console cover. I always do in the hope that it will come out easier the next time.

I recommend removing the entire shift mechanism & install the short shifter stub with the assembly on a work bench. So much easier IMO.
I don't remember having any trouble with those shifter cable clips though.

Don't give up. You'll be much better off struggling a bit doing it yourself, learning much more rather than having someone else do it for you. :)

·
GO BLUE!
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^yeah... If I could I would definitely want to take the whole assembly off and work on a fixed bench. I wish I had more time but I am now scrambling to get ready for my overseas assignment to China for 4 months that's coming up next week... I really hate to put back the console, but I definitely don't want to leave the shifter assembly exposed to the environment when my gf takes over the car for the next 4 months...

What if I remove a few spring clips for now? would that make the removal easier next time?

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
Socalitrojan, I've tried just lifting the housing and work on getting the plastic shift ball out from the side opening, but it was so tight and I was having hard time applying force because I was afraid the still-attached shifter cable (the center cable that is clipped down) will snap, will it??
For the plastic ball, you should leave the 4 shifter housing bolts in place. Get an open ended wrench and use the shifter housing for leverage. With just a little force, it'll pop right out. I found that step much easier than the step of putting the ball onto the CT short shifter...lol All you need to do is put the ball on a flat surface and then push the CT short shifter onto it. I couldn't do it on my driveway, so I had to go to the garage and do it. I think in my mind I was afraid to push down too hard in my driveway since it isn't completely flat/even.

Anyway, after you use the wrench to pop off the ball, you can then remove the four shifter housing bolts to lift the housing and install the short shifter from the side.

If I recall correctly, I managed to install it the first time without even removing the four shifter housing bolts...lol I only removed it the second time around because I couldn't remove the CT short shifter. I was trying to remove it so that I could apply the loctite glue.

Neuspeed doesn't call for loctite, so some people who install the CT one don't use it. Since I messed up the first install, I figured I'd glue it so that even if I mess up again, it won't be loose again...lol Anyway, I figure I won't remove it even if I ever sell the car. I would be doing the next owner a favor, since the TSX should come with a short shifter stock. I'm sure you could get away without using the loctite (not sure if you were planning to use it or not).

·
GO BLUE!
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, Socalitrojan! I will give it a final go tomorrow when I have time after work.

Sorry but last question, I noticed that the shifter has some mini hex bolt. Do I need to tighten it down or I can just use loctite to secure it? and to make sure that it's in place all I need is to hear a click?

·
-
1,560 Posts
Did you not get any instructions with your shift kit?

Attachments

·
GO BLUE!
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^I saw that instruction a while back, but since I saw that the CT SS comes with its own manual (the one that instructs you to take your entire housing off) I decided it's better to follow (turned out not). Thanks Calgary, this will definitely help me out!

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
Thanks, Socalitrojan! I will give it a final go tomorrow when I have time after work.

Sorry but last question, I noticed that the shifter has some mini hex bolt. Do I need to tighten it down or I can just use loctite to secure it? and to make sure that it's in place all I need is to hear a click?
Looks like Calgary's guide shows a picture of how I popped off the plastic ball. I hope it helps!

The hex bolts screw in above the ball of the stock shifter so that the short shifter stays in place and won't fall down. You should only need to tighten it down, but I have heard of some people put loctite on the screws to make sure they don't work themselves loose.

When you push the short shifter onto the stock shifter, it will feel like it hit the end. Then, when you push harder, you'll feel it vibrate a little and then make a distinguished sound. When you hear it, you'll know you're finally at the end. The ball on the stock shifter stops at the top of the holes for the hex bolts because they were drilled inward and poke a little in the way (just look down your short shifter's barrel).

One tip to make sure that the short shifter is on all the way is to try and wiggle it. If it's not in all the way, there will be some movement (the short shifter will be able to move around inside your short shifter). On the other hand, if it did click, it will barely have any movement and will kind of feel like it's part of the stock shifter.

If you're using loctite, I would put the short shifter on and off a couple of times so that you know how it should look, sound, and feel before you use the fast acting glue. The loctite dried faster than I expected, so I wasn't able to use the leftover on the hex bolts.

^I saw that instruction a while back, but since I saw that the CT SS comes with its own manual (the one that instructs you to take your entire housing off) I decided it's better to follow (turned out not).
I, too, like to use the right manual for a product. However, I also like trying to skip steps, especially when the last step has a ton of mini-steps. lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts