Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to find safe and good in winter/wet driving tires at a reasonable price. These are for my daughter's TSX. I want safe, reliable tires that are good in wet and snowy conditions but don't need or want to pay for top brand tires for high speed performance. If it is our best interest to not buy cheaper off brand tires, just let me know. I just don't want to pay a bunch of extra money on so called performance tires that have attributes she doesn't need.

Safety and durability are the 2 main concerns.

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I run Federal Himalayas during the winter and they've been flawless. Granted, mine are studded, but I've read good reviews for non-studded ones as well.

·
-
1,622 Posts
There is not enough info in the OP's post to make a recommendation but I'll make a few assumptions..

Assuming you want tires for the stock 17x 7.5 wheels and stock 225/50R17 tires for year round use and the car gets driven in snow every winter?

The stock 7.5" wheels are really too wide for winter use. Narrow winter tires are superior for snow and winter driving but you need narrower wheels to mount narrower tires.
225/50R17 winter tires are available but they are really too wide for winter use.

All-weather tires are a total compromise but can be used in the summer and winter. These are NOT all-season tires which are really summer tires.
All-weather tires are really winter tires with a hard rubber compound. Not as good as a true winter tire and not as good as a true summer tire but they have become popular for winter use in Canada.

Examples include Nokian WRG, Toyo Celsius, Goodyear Weatherready, Firestone Weathergrip and Michelin Crossclimate.
There are likely more brands available.
These tires are superior to all-season tires in winter.

We no longer drive our TSX in the winter but you can see in my signature what a no compromise solution is for winter and summer tires. We ran narrow Nokian all-weather tires on 16" wheels on our TSX for years.
They were excellent.
We now run the same narrow Nokian all-weather tires on the same 16" wheel on our current winter beater, a 2016 Honda HRV.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is not enough info in the OP's post to make a recommendation but I'll make a few assumptions..

Assuming you want tires for the stock 17x 7.5 wheels and stock 225/50R17 tires for year round use and the car gets driven in snow every winter?

The stock 7.5" wheels are really too wide for winter use. Narrow winter tires are superior for snow and winter driving but you need narrower wheels to mount narrower tires.
225/50R17 winter tires are available but they are really too wide for winter use.

All-weather tires are a total compromise but can be used in the summer and winter. These are NOT all-season tires which are really summer tires.
All-weather tires are really winter tires with a hard rubber compound. Not as good as a true winter tire and not as good as a true summer tire but they have become popular for winter use in Canada.

Examples include Nokian WRG, Toyo Celsius, Goodyear Weatherready, Firestone Weathergrip and Michelin Crossclimate.
There are likely more brands available.
These tires are superior to all-season tires in winter.

We no longer drive our TSX in the winter but you can see in my signature what a no compromise solution is for winter and summer tires. We ran narrow Nokian all-weather tires on 16" wheels on our TSX for years.
They were excellent.
We now run the same narrow Nokian all-weather tires on the same 16" wheel on our current winter beater, a 2016 Honda HRV.
I appreciate the info. I appreciate the info. We normally haven’t been getting a lot of snow around here (Louisville, KY) however this year we have been clobbered. So I mostly am looking for something that does well in rain and normal driving conditions but is at least somewhat capable for driving in some snowy conditions. I don’t want to be buying summer tires and winter tires. Just one set for all around driving. I just don’t want something that is terrible in the snow if it can be helped.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you’re looking for good all weather tires, I can vouch for the Toyo Celsius’. They came on the car when I bought it and they drove pretty well in most conditions. There were a couple days in Calgary this year where it was 12+ inches of snow and they were almost useless, so I switched to the federal’s.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you’re looking for good all weather tires, I can vouch for the Toyo Celsius’. They came on the car when I bought it and they drove pretty well in most conditions. There were a couple days in Calgary this year where it was 12+ inches of snow and they were almost useless, so I switched to the federal’s.
Thanks. Yeah we don’t get the kind of weather you all do. Just now we are having the most snow we have had in several years, about 6-10 inches..lol! It’s also been cold longer than normal.
Regarding tires, I’m just trying to find a good all around tire at around $100 (or less). I know there are several good brands in the $130-$150 range but I’m hoping to avoid that.

·
-
1,622 Posts
Going cheap on tires is foolish. Tires are not the place to try to save a couple bucks while risking safety.

It does sound like all-weather tires in the stock size would suit your needs.
None of the all-weather tires I listed above are cheap although the Nokian all-weathers are now cheaper since they are now made in Russia rather than Finland.

I hate Chinese tires but they are now everywhere despite their terrible reputation.

Buy some good quality tires and enjoy the peace of mind with your daughter!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Going cheap on tires is foolish. Tires are not the place to try to save a couple bucks while risking safety.

It does sound like all-weather tires in the stock size would suit your needs.
None of the all-weather tires I listed above are cheap although the Nokian all-weathers are now cheaper since they are now made in Russis rather than Finland.

I hate Chinese tires but they are now everywhere despite their terrible reputation.

Buy some good quality tires and enjoy the peace of mind with your daughter!
I didn’t mean to imply cheap in the sense you are referring to. I am just not wanting to buy a set that is way above what she needs.
That’s what my whole post is about...a reasonably priced set of safe tires. Some are $150-$200, some are $80. What should I expect to pay to get something that is a good tire but not some high priced performance tire. If it’s $150 a tire that’s fine I just want to know that’s what it is so I’m not walking into a tire dealer blind.
I’d never go el cheapo in something for my kids...never have, never will!

·
-
1,622 Posts
www.tirerack.com is an excellent place to research tires.

Here are the all-weather tire options in 225/50R17 on Tirerack: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...true&width=225/&ratio=50&diameter=17#allTitle

"All-weather" may be a Nokian term. The other tire manufactures are not using this term.
Tirerack has detailed explanations of these type of tires.

However Tirerack does not carry Toyo and Nokian tires.

The Nokian all-weather tires are the most aggressive all-weather tires that I have used.
Excellent in the snow, long tread life but not as good (noisy) in the summer.
The Toyo Celsius and Goodyear Weatherready are less aggressive. Better in the summer but not as good in the winter.
I'm not familiar with the Michelin Cross Climate and Firestone Weathergrip but I see them everywhere around here this winter.

Your local southern U.S. tire shops will likely have no idea that all-weather tires are completely different than all-season tires!
Be careful there..

I hope this info helps..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Has anyone ever used the Goodyear viva 3?
www.tirerack.com is an excellent place to research tires.

Here are the all-weather tire options in 225/50R17 on Tirerack: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?filtering=true&width=225/&ratio=50&diameter=17#allTitle

"All-weather" may be a Nokian term. The other tire manufactures are not using this term.
Tirerack has detailed explanations of these type of tires.

However Tirerack does not carry Toyo and Nokian tires.

The Nokian all-weather tires are the most aggressive all-weather tires that I have used.
Excellent in the snow, long tread life but not as good (noisy) in the summer.
The Toyo Celsius and Goodyear Weatherready are less aggressive. Better in the summer but not as good in the winter.
I'm not familiar with the Michelin Cross Climate and Firestone Weathergrip but I see them everywhere around here this winter.

Your local southern U.S. tire shops will likely have no idea that all-weather tires are completely different than all-season tires!
Be careful there..

I hope this info helps..
Thanks! Been on a few different websites today while at work but not that one. I will check it out. Appreciate the info!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts