Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Fast Driver
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Here is a PDF I created with step-by-step to change your 2004-2008 TSX transmission filter.
- Probably the same on second generation TSX, as well.
- Definitely the same as the 2003 - 2005 Honda Accord 4 cylinder engine.
- Will take you 30 minutes, if you take your time.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/sreference/auto/06TSX-transmission-filter/DIY_TSX_Transmission_Filter.pdf

I'll also post the text and photos below, but the above PDF is more readable.
Follow at your own risk.

Tools Needed:
1. Flat Head Screwdriver
2. 10mm socket
3. Socket wrench and/or socket driver (smaller may be better)
4. 90 degree pliers (available at AutoZone or similar)

Parts Needed:
1. Genuine Transmission Filter -- p/n 25430-PLR-003 (Honda and Acura part number is identical)
2. Honda/Acura Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF).
3.0 quarts if doing a transmission drain and fill.
If ONLY changing the filter, very little fluid will escape, but keep 1 quart ATF on hand, just in case.

STEP 1 ...
Buy part, tools, and some ATF.
Honda and Acura Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) is identical.

STEP 2 ...
Locate automatic transmission filter.
(Yeah… I borrowed my daughter’s flashlight since mine needed charging)

STEP 3 ...
Make room by removing small box, with a flat head screwdriver.

STEP 4 ...
Make room by undoing two 10mm bolts. (be careful not to lose these!)

STEP 5 ...
Remove the black clip holding the transmission filter in place.

STEP 6 ...
Using 90 degree pliers, squeeze metal hose clamp on both slides, and slide it away from the filter.

STEP 7 ...
Once the metal hose clips have been slid away, the transmission filter can be pulled out.
It may leak a small amount. Put paper towel(s) underneath it as you remove.
Be prepared to plug both ends with a paper towel as well.

STEP 8 ...
Install the new transmission filter. Note the large ring is closer to the BACK/rear of the vehicle.
That’s the RIGHT, in all of my photos.
Be SURE to squeeze the hose clamps, and slide them back into place.
The rubber hoses should overlap the transmission filter and be locked in place by the hose clamps.

STEP 9 ...
Voila! Now carefully reverse your steps to reassemble everything.
--> Reinstall black transmission clamp.
--> Reinstall two 10mm bolts.
--> Re-attach small fuse box.

STEP 10 ...
Final check – is everything back like it was?
Check ATF dipstick; top-off ATF with a funnel.
Start engine, drive a few blocks, and check for leaks.
Drive a bit further … how is shifting?

You’re done! Congratulations.

Pictured is my Santa Cruz Bronson, on a Kuat Sherpa, at Staunton State Park.
Write up by DaysOfNoah in Denver, Colorado.
Follow at your own risk.
I am not responsible if you break something, sustain injury, or are mauled by bears.

·
, Admin, Marketplace
3,073 Posts
It's been awhile since anyone has done a DIY on here. Nice job!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks, this is a great guide. When I tried this on my 2007 TSX with 104kmiles, the rubber tubing on the filter ports was so firmly attached I could not get it to budge. I gave up after trying for several minutes. Do you have any suggestions for how to easily remove these hoses?

Thanks!

·
Fast Driver
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have any suggestions for how to easily remove these hoses?
I had similar trouble removing the old filter, from the hoses.
- make sure the metal clamps are slid ALL the way off the old filter.
- twist the filter off with one hand, while pulling the hose off with the other hand.
- twist the filter off with one hand, while using your 90 degree pliers to grip the hose.

The last method helped me "break free" the old transmission filter, from the hoses.
It took me a few minutes of twisting/pulling/fiddling.
I was careful to not crush or split the hose with my pliers, but applied enough firm force to hold it.

Putting the new filter into the hoses, is MUCH easier.

Done @ 60k miles / 11 years old. I'm gonna cut it open soon and post photos.... so curious what it looks like inside. Would love to see a photo of your dissected filter @ 104k... or anyone else's for that matter...

·
Fast Driver
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you notice any transmission improvement by doing this?
Considering it shifted flawlessly before, and still shifts flawlessly... not really.
I just did it proactively (along with two fluid drain & fills).
I'd rather prevent any future issues.

I'd love to see some photos of these filters cut apart, and their mileage. Will post mine once I cut it open.

How does yours shift now?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Are the hoses on both sides of this trans filter a concern? Do they get brittle or crack?

I want to change this filter but I am afraid the hoses will get damaged when fighting to get them off. I guess in that case they are already bad.

Wondering how they look on other cars.:confused:

·
Registered
28 Posts
About to perform this diy soon but I was wondering about this too, but I think they shouldn't just fall apart if pressure is applied to them, just gotta be careful with the pliers or use a cloth to reduce marring the rubber.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I called up my autoparts guy to order this filter and he said the transmission filter is inside the transmission and you have to take apart the transmission to replace it. Definitely doesn't sound right! I also looked at amazon and it says this inline filter does not fit. I haven't looked under the hood to see if this filter is there. I have a 2006 TSX.

Here is a picture of the transmission filter that shows up:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I called up my autoparts guy to order this filter and he said the transmission filter is inside the transmission and you have to take apart the transmission to replace it. Definitely doesn't sound right! I also looked at amazon and it says this inline filter does not fit. I haven't looked under the hood to see if this filter is there. I have a 2006 TSX.

Here is a picture of the transmission filter that shows up:
I was looking up filters on rock auto and this type filter came up. Im not sure, there may be an internal filter as well. But what I am sure of is the can style filter located on top of the trans (in the pictures above) is the only ones ive seen on k series automatics.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Is there a recommended transmission filter replacement interval? This is my first Honda/Acura, and frankly I didn't even know this car had a transmission filter. I haven't seen this listed in any of the "routine maintenance" checklists.

As for the hoses on each side of the filter, you can always replace those too. They are <$10 each. Looking at a parts diagram from an online Acura parts store, I think those part numbers are:

25212-RAA-003
25215-RAA-004

That transmission filter (25430-PLR-003) has a dealer price of $30 (~$22 online dealer price). So the filter and both hoses are less than $50 from an online Acura parts dealer. That's very reasonable.

Unlike most ATs, I love the fact you don't have to drop a transmission pan to access the transmission filter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
To loosen my filter I took a pick and loosened up the edges of the tube all the way around. After that, mine came off pretty easily. The crud around the edges is what seals it up so tight

·
Registered
3 Posts
Most people say every 30,000 with a fluid change. Some Honda tech's don't even know about the filter so I don't think there really is a correct manufacturers recommendation.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Are the hoses on both sides of this trans filter a concern? Do they get brittle or crack?

I want to change this filter but I am afraid the hoses will get damaged when fighting to get them off. I guess in that case they are already bad.

Wondering how they look on other cars.:confused:
Changed the filter three weeks ago, for the first time. Also drained the ATF and refilled. It has been a little over 30k miles since the last drain and fill.

The hoses looked good. They were covered in dust but did not look cracked anywhere I wiped them clean, nor were they cut or damaged where the clamps tighten. The hose rubber material is thicker than I imagined it. My car has 202k miles.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You're probably going to change out the fluid at the same time.
Use a hand pump to blow some new fluid down the front filter hose to wash old fluid from the cooler and out of the system while the drain plug is off.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I highly recommend a set of 90 degree needle nose pliers. I didn't have a set, and it was a real pain to remove the clamps with straight pliers. Needless to say, I immediately ordered a pair as soon as I finished, so I'll be ready for the next job...lol I'm probably start swapping the filter on 30K intervals.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts