Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So for the last five days I experienced the clutch clicking noise. I don't know the true description of the noise, but it's not the kind of click that the signal blinkers make. It's more of a low tone click than anything.

Well I thought that the noise will go away but it didn't. So I read up a thread on Azine and someone said to spray the joint with white lithium grease. The fix was soooo easy. It took less than 5 bucks and less than 5 minutes to fix. After the fix, the clutch travel just feels like cutting butter again.

Well, enough talk. Hope this helps.

*UPDATE*

Another great alternative (maybe even better?) is a product called Rust Check. It's reported by members to work extremely well too.

Enjoy your butter smooth 6speed TSX again!

·
, Administrator, TOTM Coordinator
6,858 Posts
Hah nice Danny I was about to post this DIY but I was too lazy to take pics while doing it. Great write up as usual!

·
Premium Member
3,260 Posts
i have the clutch click sound as well. Does this make the clutch pedal smoother or does it make the click go away

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
+ rep..this should be stickied. I have a new clutch but this was an issue coming up over the past couple of years

·
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have the clutch click sound as well. Does this make the clutch pedal smoother or does it make the click go away
I don't think it will actually make it smoother. But it will definitely feel smoother. I felt like I got a clutch pedal replacement or something cause it felt so good after having to deal with the clicking feel for five days.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I have the clutch clicking as well. I was afraid it was a bracket or something that was breaking. Hopefully this is the issue. The sound is like a clicking/creaking. It doesn't happen all the time but it is often.

·
6,858 Posts
This will only take care of the issue for a temporary amount of time, a clicking clutch is a sign that you need to replace your clutch master Clyinder soon.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Oh ok, thanks Mayuga. So replacing the CM cylinder will be a fix for this problem instead of a band-aid?

·
6,858 Posts
Yes replacing the clutch master Clyinder will take care of the creaking/clicking clutch pedal noise. But from what I read on other forums this is pretty much a long term band aid.

I had a clicking clutch pedal noise around 60-70k and I had my master cylinder replaced under warranty, and it took care of the problem right away.

·
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes replacing the clutch master Clyinder will take care of the creaking/clicking clutch pedal noise. But from what I read on other forums this is pretty much a long term band aid.

I had a clicking clutch pedal noise around 60-70k and I had my master cylinder replaced under warranty, and it took care of the problem right away.
You were lucky enough for them to replace it for you? Cause I went to the dealership 8 months ago and they couldn't replicate the clicking.

That's what sucks about this issue. Is that it comes and go. I swear I was driving to the dealership with a clicking clutch. The moment I got a tech to come look at my car, the clicking was GONE!!! I was like no fuken way TSX, what's the matter with you? So the dealer said since they couldn't replicate the problem, they can't fix it under warranty. But they did lube it up so that fixed the issue. 8 months later, which is now, the problem came back.

So with that being said, I forgot to mention that this is a temporary fix and the issue will come back. Luckily, you probably won't be using white lithium grease on a monthly basis so that can will last probably more than the life of the car.

·
6,858 Posts
You were lucky enough for them to replace it for you? Cause I went to the dealership 8 months ago and they couldn't replicate the clicking.

That's what sucks about this issue. Is that it comes and go. I swear I was driving to the dealership with a clicking clutch. The moment I got a tech to come look at my car, the clicking was GONE!!! I was like no fuken way TSX, what's the matter with you? So the dealer said since they couldn't replicate the problem, they can't fix it under warranty. But they did lube it up so that fixed the issue. 8 months later, which is now, the problem came back.

So with that being said, I forgot to mention that this is a temporary fix and the issue will come back. Luckily, you probably won't be using white lithium grease on a monthly basis so that can will last probably more than the life of the car.
Yup.. pretty lucky getting it replaced by the dealer. But now, after 25-30k w/ the new master cylinder.. I am now getting the infamous "Creaking" sound.. like when you grind your teeth together when its dry.. and my only solution is using the white lithium grease solution.. but it only fixes it temporary..

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Regional (United States)
1,204 Posts
I've noticed in the past it tending to happen more when it was hot out. My dealer replaced the entire clutch pedal assembly around 35k miles. The squeaking/clicking came back 30k miles later, and I used the grease method described above, which helped. Had it come back again shortly after, and I had the dealer replace the clutch master cylinder under warranty. Have a can of the lithium grease still in the garage shelf - works nicely on squeaky patio doors, etc., etc. around the house as well. =)

Great write-up -

·
Premium Member
8,413 Posts
Danny did mine over the weekend, I am loving the smoother feel and silence :tu:

Thanks again Danny!

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
I was the original creator of the huge thread on AZine, and recommended using silicone spray and not anything else. White lithium grease is great at removing squeaks/friction, but it smells. Same with graphite spray - not smelly, but it can drip and stain your shoes or carpet dark grey.
Silicone spray (Jig-A-Loo, etc...) is clear, relatively odourless, and works excellent for things like this. I use it on door handles and hinges inside and outside the home, patio door tracks (my cat can open the patio door -- this stuff is so slippery!), etc.

I spray the clutch linkages inside the car (the pivot points, switch, and of course the plunger rod you pictured) every oil change -- so about every 6 months (spring and fall). It keeps the clutch click/creak-free, and the pedal is so smooth and light!

·
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Smells? How much did you guys spray? I sprayed it only twice trying to keep the spray in under a second each time. I didn't experience any smell and I'm sure integragsr23 didn't experience anything or he would have mentioned it. Also, I wiped down excessive grease afterwards. So the white grease you guys see in the last picture has been wiped down. All it matters is the grease gets into the plunger rod and it's fine.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I might have to try this when it starts getting hot again. It seems that I get the creaking when it's very hot out.

·
-
1,593 Posts
My 2004 Dodge truck clutch pedal has done this also since new, more so in the summer.

It also has a lame plastic clutch master cylinder. I tried WD-40, silicone spray & lithium grease. All helped instantly but none really lasted more than a month for the truck.

I figured it needed a heavier grease that needed to be sprayed in & ended up using Rust Check which lasts over a year in the truck.
Rust Check is in a spray can, it a thick, water repelling grease to prevent rust in body crevasses but if you read the can, it states it's a good lubricant also. I use it everywhere, including sway bar bushings.

When we got our TSX & it started doing this also, I used the Rust Check. It also lasts well over a year in our TSX.

More info on clicking clutch & Rust Check:

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-problems-fixes/32043-squeaking-clicking-clutch.html

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-engine/30511-clutch-clicking.html

·
DiRTBAG Jose!
1,306 Posts
good post Danny.i can try this at work cuz i hate replacing the clutch master's.lol but more than likely ill probably end up replacing them tho.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts