Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm researching CAI and the icebox mod......i have read that If you're worried about the CAI sucking up water than go with the icebox.

But i have also noticed that the location where the air is sucked up is facing the same location as the CAI. So my question is would a DIY icebox suck up water as well?

·
Un-Civil Engineer
2,205 Posts
No. If you notice where the bottom of the stock air box is, you see it is well above the bottom of the driver's side fender. If you manage to get water up to that level, you will have many other issues along with hydrolock!

Now, some actually install a tube lower into the finder well. That could increase the chances of sucking up water, but it would have to be deep water. If you just remove the lower end of the stock setup (tubes and resonators), you will have no water-related troubles.

Its a pretty simple mod to do. Good luck with it! You will enjoy how it sounds when you are done :thumbsup:

·
long-term build
2,761 Posts
a CAI goes much lower down into the bumper area.
and the problem with a CAI is that the filter itself is completely exposed,
sitting right behind your bumper cover, ready to get wet.
with the icebox, the filter is safe up in the engine bay in the air
filter box, where it belongs.

water is not getting up into that box, not happening. if it does, you're in a flood.
one where your car is probably floating away.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info, do you guys recommend covering up the opening to prevent bugs from getting in?

·
-
1,597 Posts
thanks for the info, do you guys recommend covering up the opening to prevent bugs from getting in?

I have a DYI intake & used a piece of the stock piping to extend the lower airbox opening to just behind the foglight or so.

The only way water is going to get into the engine is if my wife drives into a lake... :)

I did put a piece of 1/4" metal mesh screen material over the end of the pipe secured with a hose clamp to keep out the bugs but it's totally not necessary. No bugs are getting into that area anyway.

This thread has many details on the DIY intake mod:

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-engine/30908-even-better-diy-intake.html

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a DYI intake & used a piece of the stock piping to extend the lower airbox opening to just behind the foglight or so.

The only way water is going to get into the engine is if my wife drives into a lake... :)

I did put a piece of 1/4" metal mesh screen material over the end of the pipe secured with a hose clamp to keep out the bugs but it's totally not necessary. No bugs are getting into that area anyway.

thanks, i bookmarked it

im just worried cuz sometimes in Regina it rains alot and some streets do get flooded.......so im thinking of adjusting the piping a little higher for safe measure.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

thanks, i bookmarked it

im just worried cuz sometimes in Regina it rains alot and some streets do get flooded.......so im thinking of adjusting the piping a little higher for safe measure.

an example of last year in Regina, SK

·
-
1,597 Posts
Making the downpipe a little shorter will be no problem. Just as long as the intake is drawing air from the fenderwell & not from the engine compartment.

As for that pic of the flooded road, I would NEVER drive my truck thru something like that let alone my TSX.

Even if you engine didn't hydro-lock, just think of the water getting into wiring connectors, vents into drive axles, wheel bearings, steering rack, etc..
Plus if your brake rotors were hot & your drove into that, your brake rotors would now be warped.

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
But i have also noticed that the location where the air is sucked up is facing the same location as the CAI. So my question is would a DIY icebox suck up water as well?
In order for your engine to hydrolock, you need to submerge the filter completely in water. If water is just splashing onto the filter, you won't hydrolock.

For example, get a straw and poke some holes in the side of it. Even if you submerge one end, you will have a heck of a time sucking up the water since air will get sucked in through the side holes. If you submerge the entire straw (including the side holes), then you can suck up the water easily. In the same way, as long as part of your filter is not submerged, your engine will suck in the air first. Small droplets of water won't hydrolock your engine.

No, you want as much air coming in so that you get more power. It's the filter's job to catch the bugs...hence, the name "filter".

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I just did this mod and I have to say, I would have never been able to take out the resonator without taking the bumper off.

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
So I just did this mod and I have to say, I would have never been able to take out the resonator without taking the bumper off.
LOL! I took the resonator off without taking off the bumper, it was a real PAIN IN THE A*S but its possible. The only reason why i didnt take my bumper off when i removed mine was because I didnt have anywhere else to set the bumper(Didnt want to scratch) so i just leave mines on, i did took it off halfway but just not completely

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so while changing the air filter, i lost one of those airbox screws. called Acura to get another one, fricken $8 bucks for one single bolt! F U Canada.

I'm still in search of a good 45 degree pipe, I didnt want to cut or modify the stock pipes. So its a little short with the stack.

·
Registered
390 Posts
In order for your engine to hydrolock, you need to submerge the filter completely in water. If water is just splashing onto the filter, you won't hydrolock.
Wrong wrong wrong WRONG wrong

Everyone assumes this but it's just not accurate

The volume inside a cylinder when the piston is at TDC is very small.

Rough ballpark example:

A 2400cc 4 cylinder has 600cc cylinders.

If the engine has 10:1 compression, that's roughly 60ccs of volume inside the cylinder when the piston is at TDC. If a cylinder draws in ANY more then that, the result is at least a bent rod, and at worst a cracked block.

That's less volume then you'll take in one swig of your beer.

I hydrolocked an h22 when I drove through 2" of water with an exposed filter in the fender.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts