Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this is my first DIY so if something isnt up to par, please forgive me.

I really like how smooth the TSX transmission is, but what I really don't like is the extra play in the shifter. You can buy aftermarket shifter bushings, but I like the soft feeling of the rubber bushings. So i decided to modify the stock bushings to where they have no play.

Tools/hardware needed: (All the tools needed to remove a stock air box if you have one, I Have a short ram so no DIY on that.)
Angle wire cutters, 1/2" short socket, scissors, duct tape, two cotter pins.

Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics also.

Step one: Remove air filter. This will make it much easier to work with because of the extra room.

Step two: Remove the two cotter pins on the shift cables. I couldn't get mine to go so i just used angle cutters on them.

Step three: Remove the cables from the transmission bracket.

Step four: The bushing are in there pretty tough, so i just used a 1/2" short socket, put it up against my palm and pressed against the bushing and it popped out of there (you have to use a little force here.)

I washed my bushings because i like working with clean things, its not necessary but it helps.

Here is where the "mod" begins.
Step five: Cut a strip of duct tape about 1/4 inch wide and about 6 inches long. And a strip just a little more narrow about 3 inches long. Use the long strip to wrap around the big bushing TWICE, no more and no less. If you do more it will not fit in the cable, and if you do less, it will not be enough. Use the little strip to wrap the little bushing ONCE, no more and no less. Cut off the excess duct tape.

Step six: Cut off one of the rubber lips on each bushing. It doesn't matter which side you cut. If you don't do this there is no way the bushing will fit back on the cable.

Step seven: Press the bushing back on the transmission bracket. The side that the lip is on goes on the inside.

Step eight: Install the cables back on the transmission using the stock washers that were on there. Put new cotter pins on (I had to because I cut my old ones.

Install your intake and you're done! I used a little grease between the transmission and the bracket, but i don't think it makes a difference.
The transmission feels more tight in the gears and most of the play is gone.
This took me no more than a half hour to do. I would rate the difficulty a 1-2/10. Let me know what you guys think of my first write up and if it was helpful or not. All feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I commend you for working this out yourself, though I'm not sure about the longevity of duct tape, but good to hear that you had good results! It is interesting that you posted this today because I just installed a set of Hybrid Racing shifter bushings a few hours ago. Yes you are right, no matter what you put in there it is a very simple and quick mod. :)

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
Once cannot fathom how in-genuine, yet ghetto this is....but props to you for showing us a budget friendly mod; though the longevity of duct tape is of high concern.

I think we on tsxclub would like more elaboration on the intake piping though. Looks mad bling bling.

·
Premium Member
3,260 Posts
Once cannot fathom how in-genuine, yet ghetto this is....but props to you for showing us a budget friendly mod; though the longevity of duct tape is of high concern.

I think we on tsxclub would like more elaboration on the intake piping though. Looks mad bling bling.
do what you gotta do to save 20 bucks.

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Seattle,WA
1,465 Posts
I did the corsport bushings last week and love how stiff it got but had a more direct path. Good write up.

Love the gold intake ;)

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Yeah my idea was modding on a budget since im a poor college student lol. I actualy bought the intake with the tape on it. I was going to take it off, but i did a little reading and found out it was heat resistant tape and it acted as an insulator. So i decided to keep it on.. it makes the engine bay look different :) As far as dict tape, that was the first thing that came to my mind. I might switch it up with electrical tape or something, but i will see how long this lasts.

do what you gotta do to save 20 bucks.
True there!

I did the corsport bushings last week and love how stiff it got but had a more direct path. Good write up.

Love the gold intake ;)
Thanks man! Yeah I love how shifting is more crisp.

I commend you for working this out yourself, though I'm not sure about the longevity of duct tape, but good to hear that you had good results! It is interesting that you posted this today because I just installed a set of Hybrid Racing shifter bushings a few hours ago. Yes you are right, no matter what you put in there it is a very simple and quick mod. :)
Yeah, simple, quick free and easy! If the duct tape doesnt hold up, ill think of something else!

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This idea actually came from an asian. not this russian david doroshenko kid. figured I needed to steal back my credit for my cheapass ghetto shifter bushings. lolz

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh, and while im hijacking this computer, the gold on the intake piping seems to be some heat reflective wrapping, lsimilar to those exhaust insulation wraps. as for how much good it actually does since the intake is on the tranny side, I have no idea.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,748 Posts
Great effort and work i must say but also recommend for anyone on a budget you can get bushings at a pretty decent and cheap price from Torque Solutions as well and they are very good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts