Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
OK guys, hope this DIY will help those that don't wanna get raped by the dealership just changing your bulbs. Be careful when doing this. I've done it plenty of time and I've been careful everytime. Just make sure your headlights are NOT ON!!!!

And that's it. When putting the ignitor back on, make sure it's snug and when you try to pull it or fiddle with it, it shouldn't move. I made this mistake by not securely putting the ignitor back on and my bulb burnt. So just make sure the ignitor is put back on properly.

Tips and advices for you guys:

I've bought the OEM 4300K (Philips) and 6000K (Philips Ultinon). These bulbs are very high quality since it's from a company that is well known for it's quality and control. It's just the light output is VERY disappointing. The Ultinon will not give you a bluish look. And the 4300K looks a lot more yellow. These bulbs require burn in time of 100 hours. I know I didn't burn them in but I just didn't like how they look so I returned them.

So I bought ebay bulbs (6000K) for 18 bucks. These gave out the light that I was looking for, and I haven't had any problems with it since. People might frown upon buying cheap ebay bulbs and I will not disagree. It's entirely up to you whether you want to go cheap or go quality.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
i replaced my headlights with ddm 5000k bulbs when i got 5000k ddm fogs

15$ for just the low beams

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
+rep. This timing couldn't have been better..I was just figuring out how to do this a couple of hours ago. Is there enough space to change the bulbs without removing the actual light from the car?

·
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
+rep. This timing couldn't have been better..I was just figuring out how to do this a couple of hours ago. Is there enough space to change the bulbs without removing the actual light from the car?
Yup. I do it all the time with the headlights on (on the car, not turning on the lights!!!). It's a bit of a squeeze in the area, but it's more than doable. Taking out the headlight is definitely overkill considering you gotta take out the bumper, headlight connectors, and headlight.

I just had an extra headlight laying around and I thought doing a DIY would be grateful for most since I can show more detailed pics than doing a DIY with the headlight on the car.

·
Wsup den?
60 Posts
So I tried using like a mini flat head screwdriver, a t20 torx bit and the damn screw wouldnt come off. Then I noticed that there is like a metal pin that is blocking the torx bit from letting me get it off. How do I take the screw off?

·
, Regional Meet Leader, SF Bay Area
6,942 Posts

·
(: Daniel :)
3,224 Posts
So I tried using like a mini flat head screwdriver, a t20 torx bit and the damn screw wouldnt come off. Then I noticed that there is like a metal pin that is blocking the torx bit from letting me get it off. How do I take the screw off?
What screw are you talking about? The one from the very first pic that holds in the cover? That's the only screw that needs to be removed. A small regular screwdriver should do the trick with no prob.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just bought some Philips 5K D2S...just waiting for them to arrive...GREAT POST...I just did a dry run on the install...seems I don't have any screws on the cap...They just twist off. Thanks again.

·
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just bought some Philips 5K D2S...just waiting for them to arrive...GREAT POST...I just did a dry run on the install...seems I don't have any screws on the cap...They just twist off. Thanks again.
You can leave the screw off. That's what I do. It saves the hassle of unscrewing it later on. Plus, the cap stays on tight enough without it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I drive an 08 also and it did not have any screws on it either. I followed this DIY and it worked great.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I drive an 08 also and it did not have any screws on it either. I followed this DIY and it worked great.
Oh good, because I was starting to think if someone (dealership) stole my screws!...lol...I seriously doubt that it will be no problem if there's no screws.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you, thank you for saving me tons of $$$$$

Thanks to this post I'm saving tons of cash vs. having the dealership do it. They wanted to charge $200 for (one) bulb and labor!! For approximately $80 bucks I'm getting two of the bulbs below!! Found on Amazon.com

"Sylvania 39659 D2S HID - High Intensity Discharge Lamp, Pack of 1"
Automotive; $42.95

I have not received the bulbs yet but I will follow up and let you know how these work out.

Thanks again!!!

·
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
stupid noob question, did you disconnect the battery before doing this?
No I didn't. But it's recommended that you do if you are weary of the swap.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts