Acura TSX Forum banner

DIY Shift Knob Removal for 2nd Gen TSX?

9K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  #172cr 
#1 ·
Sad as this is to say, I have no idea how to get the shift knob off my car. I've searched here and on *********, with the only thread having the link to the PDF no longer valid.

Apparently somehow you "pull down the shift boot with retaining tabs and use a 17mm wrench to loosen the knob."

Unfortunately I have no idea what that means lol. Anyone offer some advice?

Thanks!
Ira

#2 ·
well hopefully they are the same, 04 tsx, but the shift knob should be simple. if you look at your shift knob where it screws in there should be a bolt then the knob. use a 17mm wrench or a 9/16 i believe while holding the shift knob turn the wrench counter clock wise to remove the loosen the bolt then unscrew the shift knob and do the reverse installing the new one. if you have problems still i'll try to take pictures of the process.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply! The 2nd gens are different :( I'll try to snap a pic

#4 · (Edited)
Are you manual or auto?

I found installation directions for the 2009-2013 Auto. Shouldn't be much different if you're manual. Unless its the same as the 04-08 then it's just the 17mm and twist the knob counter clockwise like CL9kamina mentioned. But I'm assuming these are the directions you need:

http://handa-accessories.com/tsx/10shift.pdf

Hope this helps!

#5 ·
That does! I"ll have to go feel around for those tabs. It's a manual, but yes that is probably what the post was referring to that I found earlier.

Thank you!

#7 ·
Haha so I figured it out, you grasp the collar at the top of the shift boot where it connects with the knob and force the collar straight down. That exposes the nut that you can counter turn from the knob to remove it. I felt like I was going to break the snaps on the collar... Sketchy lol.

#9 ·
I still want the shift knob from the 12+ SI back. Gonna have to pick up that or an FD2 knob!

#12 ·
Thanks! Look what I ended up with;

If I hadn't bought the '12 knob I would have bought that one in a heartbeat. I love the FD2 knob. The feel is exactly like the knob on the CR.

#16 ·
Haha, that image is off of the civic si that is came from :) it doesn't fit flush due to the base of that knob being a wider diameter than the collar that comes on the OEM shift lever.

Lol I'm the only one that would notice it, but still I love the feel of that knob, and the leather enhances the look a bit to match the rest of the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.