Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
This is to help every one out and to show you how easy to work on a TSX.

PLEASE WORK AT YOUR OWN RISK. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING. THIS IS JUST A GUIDE

Tools you will need. Metric Only

Coilover install with top mounts
3/4 Drive ratchet
10mm socket
12mm socket
14mm socket
17mm socket
17mm wrench
Allen Keys
Jack and Jack Stands

Springs & Coilovers w/out Top Mounts
Spring compressor
3/4 Drive ratchet
10mm socket
12mm socket
14mm socket
17mm socket
17mm wrench
Allen Keys
Jack and Jack Stands

Front, I did one side, both sides are the same. You should have no problems doing the other side

Loosen the wheel while the car is still on the ground. Chalk the rear wheels. Jack the car up using proper jacking points and place on jack stands.
This is what you will see.

Next, Grab the 17mm socket/ratchet and the 17mm wrench. Place the wrench on the 17mm nut and the socket on the bolt and remove, Lower part of the fork

Next remove the top bolt of the fork, 14mm socket. Rest the fork gently on the axle or you can take it out and put it aside.

Almost done with the front. See how easy it is.
Now remove the top bolts. 3 14mm nuts and 2 12mm nuts. While you are doing this have a friend hold onto the shocks so it doesn't fall.

After this step you can pull everything out. If you are doing springs, this is were you use your spring compressor and install them. If you have coilovers, just fallow the steps backwards. Please double check all you bolt/nuts. I didn't use a torque wrench, you can if you want to.

Now for the Rear. A little more of PITA but still very easy. Loosen the wheels while the car is still on the ground. Chalk the front wheels. Jack the car up using proper jacking points and place on jack stands.
Start by removing the rear seat bolsters. This Is a PITA, please be gentle not to brake the hooks on the back of the bolster.
After you remove the 10mm bolt, slide the bolsters upward. After they unhook you can pull them towards you. This will expose the Top bolts of the shock

Next take off the sway bar end link. This will be a PITA if you are from the east coast. If you are from the West coast you are lucky. WD-40 the nut and stem of the End link, let it sit for a min. Take a 14mm socket and ratchet and try to remove it. If it doesn't get loose you will need a 14mm wrench and a metric allen key to remove the nut. Be very careful not to strip the allen.

After removing the endlink take the 17mm bolt out from the bottom of the shock.

Next remove the 14mm bolt on the back braket

Lastly have a friend hold on to the shock while you remove the top 2 14mm nuts.

Play with it a little and the rear shock/spring should come out. At this point you can install your springs with a compressor. If you have coilovers just do the opisite of the removal and your done. Please double check everything.

Your all done. Just make sure everything is tight and go enjoy your car.

·
Registered
175 Posts
awesome! suspension was something i never dared to touch. but this made it look doable, thanks

a very noob question tho: when taking out the old suspension, the spring wont pop out the strut violently? i thought you needed the spring compressor to take it out as well, or am i just misinformed?

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awesome! suspension was something i never dared to touch. but this made it look doable, thanks

a very noob question tho: when taking out the old suspension, the spring wont pop out the strut violently? i thought you needed the spring compressor to take it out as well, or am i just misinformed?
No it will not pop off. There is a 14mm nut with a Top Hat holding it. The spring compressor is to compress the spring slightly releaving pressure off the top hat and nut so you can remove it.

·
What to put here?
1,991 Posts
Thanks. The procedure for coilovers looks just like the A-Spec suspension install.

I'd recommend using a torque wrench just to be precise in tightening the nuts and bolts.

Do you need to jack up each fork to load the axle in order to tighten the top hat nuts?

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. The procedure for coilovers looks just like the A-Spec suspension install.

I'd recommend using a torque wrench just to be precise in tightening the nuts and bolts.

Do you need to jack up each fork to load the axle in order to tighten the top hat nuts?
No, you put the top hat nuts on first. As long as both sides of the car are jacked up you will not have to use a jack to to load evertything up. Also the swaybar will not have load on it since the wheels are off the ground evenly, the work will be allot easier.

·
Not JDM
1,893 Posts
+1
Funny how you just wrote this up, And I just finished taking my N+ off and installing my Stock suspension. Again, this is VERY easy, just make sure you have a buddy, it makes the work that much more easier...
And yes, us on the east coast definitely will have a 'PITA' trying to loosen the sway bar end link with the wrench and Allen key.
BTW, how would we have gotten the top hats on the stock suspension if we don't have a spring compressor?

·
Registered
278 Posts
For the sway bar links its worth it to buy a ratcheting wrench. This way you dont have to turn a quarter, take off the wrench, move, turn a quarter....etc

·
Registered
972 Posts
There's another way to pull the rear suspension assembly out without having to play with that sway bar endlink. You'll need to slip underneath the car, remove the two bolts on the 'u' clamp that holds the sway bar to the frame, shift the sway bar and endlink over towards the rear of the car, and get a friend to put some pressure on the rotor while you maneuver the suspension assembly out from within the wheel well.

·
Not JDM
1,893 Posts
For the sway bar links its worth it to buy a ratcheting wrench. This way you dont have to turn a quarter, take off the wrench, move, turn a quarter....etc
Try Installing your stock suspension without removing the sway bar end link LOL

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
+1
Funny how you just wrote this up, And I just finished taking my N+ off and installing my Stock suspension. Again, this is VERY easy, just make sure you have a buddy, it makes the work that much more easier...
And yes, us on the east coast definitely will have a 'PITA' trying to loosen the sway bar end link with the wrench and Allen key.
BTW, how would we have gotten the top hats on the stock suspension if we don't have a spring compressor?
There is a trick to uncompressing the spring without a spring compressor. Just loosen all the bolts at the bottom, move everything aside if possible. Then stand back while you undo the shock tower middle nut that holds the top hats on. LOL not a safe way, but gets the job done.

Thanks for the support fellas.

·
Aloha Army
11,711 Posts
There is a trick to uncompressing the spring without a spring compressor. Just loosen all the bolts at the bottom, move everything aside if possible. Then stand back while you undo the shock tower middle nut that holds the top hats on. LOL not a safe way, but gets the job done.

Thanks for the support fellas.
We alway do this with a box of towels. So much fun.:idea:

·
Low Is A Lifestyle
4,116 Posts
:D...... Honda Canon.
haha nice write up

·
Not JDM
1,893 Posts
^^^^^^^^^ it should be! There should also be a DIY for how to re-install the stock suspension when it is completely apart (Top hats off the strut and using no spring compressor).

·
Registered
609 Posts
(Top hats off the strut and using no spring compressor).

for some reason the old saying: "stop it or you'll poke your eye out with that thing." came to mind when I read that

·
Registered
42 Posts
One trick i have learned with suspension is that it is easier to loosen the 14-17mm nut that holds that top hat on when the suspension is in tact... On my G35 it was a PITA to get that tourqe nut off when it was butt tight and the suspension was out as the bottom portion of the sturt would spin... So what i did was just loosen the nut before i took the strut out, this made it easier after putting the spring compressors on to loosen the top nut... just FYI... dont know if it is the same on the TSX.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts