Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Before removing your VC (Valve Cover) for the first time, I recommend buying a VC gasket replacement. If you want, you can replace all of the gasket and get a VC gasket kit, which includes: VC gasket, spark tube seal, and washer gaskets. Heeltoeauto sells it. I don't know of other dealerships, but my dealership has the kit in stock so check your dealership if they have it just in case you mess up on the spark tube gasket installation (which will be shown below).

Gasket Kit: Honda Genuine Gasket Kit, Valve Cover K20 K24 - HeelToe Automotive

Individual Gaskets (VC gasket #3, Spark Tube Seal #4, Washer and Washer gasket #16: Acura Parts @ AcuraOEMparts.com - Genuine Acura OEM Parts from Delray Acura

This is a two part DIY. First is the VC removal, and second is the gasket replacement.

And that's it. If you have another person that can help you, then taking off the VC will be a lot easier when lifting it pass through the power steering hose.

I don't know the recommendations on replacing the washer and spark tube seal gasket, but it is highly recommended that you replace the VC gasket if you remove the VC for the first time. I wanted to be safe so I replaced all gaskets on the VC.

If you decide you want to replace the spark tube seal, I recommend buying 8 instead of four, just in case you mess up. I was in a frantic when I messed up a spark tube gasket because without it, driving the car would be a bit dangerous because you don't want oil going into the spark tube. I thought I had to wait another week through online order but luckily my dealership had some in stock. So I thanked God and drove to the dealership (in my bro's car) and got 4 more.

So with that being said, onto the gasket replacement.

OR

OR

And that's it. After that, periodically check the outside of your VC so see if you have any oil leaks coming from the bottom of the VC and around the washers. I would also check the ignition coils and see if oil splashed on it. I checked mine one day after my VC removal and I had oil on my ignition coil, that's how I knew that my spark tube seal ripped.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Very nice writeup. Why did you need to do this? Was there an oil leak or some performance issues? Is there a factory recommended interval that this needs to be done at?

·
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice writeup. Why did you need to do this? Was there an oil leak or some performance issues? Is there a factory recommended interval that this needs to be done at?
I removed it because I was getting my VC powder coated.

You do not need to remove the VC and change the gasket out as a maintenance interval.

This is basically a guide and reference for those that wants to mod their VC.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,896 Posts
Ive never had a problem with the spark tube seals lining up, maybe I just got lucky. The one step you should add is applying honda bond or permatex gasket sealant before bolting the VC down. And if you want to get real fussy you could add the torque specs and the order in which your supposed to bolt the VC down.

·
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive never had a problem with the spark tube seals lining up, maybe I just got lucky. The one step you should add is applying honda bond or permatex gasket sealant before bolting the VC down. And if you want to get real fussy you could add the torque specs and the order in which your supposed to bolt the VC down.
Yea I think I had back luck with the tube seal. It's not the lining up that's the problem. It's the gasket wrapping around the tube and stretching in the process of laying the VC down.

Yea I forgot about the torquing it to spec and adding sealant to the VC gasket, but I didn't have any of those at hand. Do you think I'll be fine without the sealant?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
awesome write up...didnt know theres that much more to it. always thought you just remove a few bolts and done LOl

engine bay looks great btw. love the color on the VC. is it just matte black?

·
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
great write up! too bad its late for me hahaha

i would recommend some sort of sealant as it keeps the oil locked in at high temps..
The thought of me having to take off the VC again is torturing man, hahaha. I hate taking that thing apart

awesome write up...didnt know theres that much more to it. always thought you just remove a few bolts and done LOl

engine bay looks great btw. love the color on the VC. is it just matte black?
Yup it's matte black.

·
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Revised.

Added proper methods of removing and installing spark tube gaskets.

·
I <3 My CL9
1,492 Posts
Bump for a useful thread! I just used this DIY to install my J's VC. I also had trouble with the spark plug seal lining up, but thanks to this thread I didn't mess up any gaskets.

Cyn, did you run into any issues not putting a sealant/honda bond? I didn't see those comments until after I already had the vc on, so I didn't put any sealant on :nervous:

·
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bump for a useful thread! I just used this DIY to install my J's VC. I also had trouble with the spark plug seal lining up, but thanks to this thread I didn't mess up any gaskets.

Cyn, did you run into any issues not putting a sealant/honda bond? I didn't see those comments until after I already had the vc on, so I didn't put any sealant on :nervous:
I actually didn't use any honda bond and it's been holding up fine.

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Florida
2,725 Posts
Very nice write up!!!

+rep for the detail!!

·
Jeff
902 Posts
So the quantities required are

1 x 12341-RTA-000 (GASKET, CYLINDER HEAD COVER)
4 x 12342-PCX-004 (SEAL, SPARK PLUG TUBE (NOK)
6 x 90441-PNA-010 (WASHER, HEAD COVER)

Am I missing anythign in this list?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm glad I came across this DIY write up! I only bought the valve cover gasket and had no idea there was other gaskets to replace. I always look for any kind of info in the club site before I tackle a project on my ride! Great write up! Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts