Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
+1 on replacing only when needed. You can always replace them when your car is getting up there in mileage for peace of mind, but I don't really see a need. I had one go bad two months ago (130k miles on my '05) as the car was misfiring. Plugged the OBDII code reader in, found out what cylinder it was, swapped it with another coilpack from another cylinder to confirm that it was indeed the coilpack, which it was. Easy 5 minute DIY replacement.

·
Registered
205 Posts
+1 on replacing only when needed. You can always replace them when your car is getting up there in mileage for peace of mind, but I don't really see a need. I had one go bad two months ago (130k miles on my '05) as the car was misfiring. Plugged the OBDII code reader in, found out what cylinder it was, swapped it with another coilpack from another cylinder to confirm that it was indeed the coilpack, which it was. Easy 5 minute DIY replacement.
Correct they are Not to be touched if 1 were going or has gone bad the Check engine will turn on and will tell you witch is misfiring I would not touch them unless I needed 2

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had one of the coils go bad on 04 TSX with 212,000km's on it (Big up from Canada). Misfire and fouled all plugs. Put in 4 new coils (For peace of mind) and 4 new plugs. It should definitely be a maintenance item, not as per Acura and its manuals. They dropped the ball on that for sure and it got by me as well. The car has been well maintained and this one was a bit of a stinger, but overall such a reliable car that no biggie. I'd definitely advise all TSX owners to replace ignition coils and plugs at the same time, the engine and overall reliability is amazing. Worth every dollar. Btw, this car has no spark plug wires to worry about. Plug on coil.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Why at the same time plugs at 105K miles coil packs when the internally short out or get oil contaminated due to Valve cover plug seal other than that no you dont replace to just replace unless your just Nutz.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I will add that they are hard to find at a "reasonable" price. (IIRC, $40-50USD /each new for the same part number that I was replacing)
Had the coilpack rubber seal go bad on one leading to oil blowby that I noticed on a spark plug change.

Found an aftermarket unit locally for cheap.
Then found a full set of OEM Densos in good condition that I picked up for "future use" in the k24a2. (was for a Honda VFR motorcycle interestingly enough)
My K24 was dyno tuned, so I wanted to replace like for like to minimize any future issues with future troubleshooting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.