Acura TSX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Being new to the board I’m not trying to be an ass. It’s amazing that only LannyMCS had a comment about alignment and performance and was right on. This is from the perspective that you modify a car to increase performance. If you want to lower your car and make it handle worse I guess that’s cool. There are lots of books with good information written by experts, engineers, and racers. I’m freely admitting I’m none of those thing, but I’ve done my homework. Don’t take my word do some research. As noted by others the internet full of questionable information. A couple points worth making.

1st Caster is a non factor in tire wear.

2nd Alignment has a huge impact on handling. All FWD drive cars are going to understeer and tweaking the camber and toe make a big difference. The general rule of thumb increasing negative camber increases grip. Because of the inherent FWD understeer you want more negative camber on the front than the rear. Small amounts of toe-out in the front reduces understeer and help the car turn in. Small amounts of toe-out in the rear
also reduces understeer and helps the ass end rotate. Alignment is not just about shredded tires it’s a cheap highly effective modification.

3rd Factory alignment settings are a balance of tire wear and nice safe understeering. This is why the vast majority of cars have visible positive camber (reduces traction) on the front and negative on the rear (increasing traction). FWD, RWD, or AWD all car companies setup there cars to understeer. In a street fight between a chassis engineer and the safety nazi – safety always wins. Understeer is safe (and sucks). If you look at old RWD Nissans and BMWs cars they had huge amounts of negative camber and toe-in in the back to tame those old overstreering trailing arm suspensions. These numbers are not the gospel. And ultimate handling was at the bottom of list when they came up with them.

Do you need a camber kit? What’s your goal?

·
UK Accord Type-S
109 Posts
ok I agree with you that alignment is crucial to getting your car handling the best it could and I've written extensively about it on the UK Accord site.

But i have to disagree with you on one point...Toeing out the rear...this is a BIG nono......you only toe out the rear if you want to find a ditch somewhere :gapteeth: it causes a hugely unstable drive in everyday conditions...although it is perfectly fine on the track...having toe out in the front and rear in the TSX will cause it to be EXTREMELY skittish and nervously twitchy....slight bit of toe out is ok for some cars...but probably more so for rear wheel cars since the natural tendancy it to push the wheels into the neutral position....for the TSX...not recommended.

Now the Camber issue is much debated..some say you don't need is and only talk from a tire wear perspective....first let me tell you..if you are running more than -2deg toe in the rear you will wear tires out faster on the inside.....I agree it's not as extreme as tire wear associated with incorrect toe but it is there non the less.

However, I want to look at the rear camber from a performance perspective. And let me tell you this..having -1deg camber in the rear with 5minutes of toe in gives the car a MUCH MUCH more balanced poise in corners as well as increasing turn in responsiveness and feedback....you have the feeling that the rear is turning with you instead of you trying to drag it around the corner. The car just feels a lot more 'alert' compared to when i was running a massive -2deg 30minutes in the rear!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can't argue with the toe-out. I was talking generally not about the TSX.
In a my younger more foolish day used to run 1/16" toe-out front and rear on my mk1 gti. Managed to keep it out the ditch but had to adjust driving style and get lucky. Much like a sportbike you had to get the corner speed right before turn-in and roll on the throttle - no drama. Over cook it, chop the throttle, hit the brakes mid turn at the limit and it would get loose. Tight low speed stuff the car was a demon.

Most FWD cars have trail throttle oversteer to some degree. Aggressive left foot braking can get the back end to break loose regardless of setup. I'll check out your posts on the UK board.

·
UK Accord Type-S
109 Posts
mantequiya said:
Can't argue with the toe-out. I was talking generally not about the TSX.
.... Much like a sportbike you had to get the corner speed right before turn-in and roll on the throttle - no drama. Over cook it, chop the throttle, hit the brakes mid turn at the limit and it would get loose. Tight low speed stuff the car was a demon. .....

WOW..sounds like you were really on a thin knife edge back then :D ...glad you managed to get past it ok lol

·
Not JDM
1,893 Posts
hey guys...

I have my TSX lowered all the way down on both the front and rear... is there neg camber? of course! people ask me if im getting a camber kit (because they can see that it is way out of spec) anyhow... i lowered it myself and then went to the dealership for alignment. they said i needed a camber kit (which i already knew)
i put 20000 kilometers (approx 12 427.42 Miles) and my tires are fine, no sign of MAJOR wear on the rear tires. and i have had tires rotated 3 times, once myself, and twice by dealership. however, because i dont have a camber kit on front nor rear, when i go to the track and do burn outs, the front wears out A LOT more than the rear (obviously with burnouts, and they are the drive wheels). I really and truly understand this thread. and what i get from this, is that we need camber kits to prolong life of tires, and to keep within factory spec. after putting 20K on my tires and no major wear, i like my out of spec camber. and it is great on the track and even on the on and off ramps on the highway. but as my daily driver, i drive like 60kph MAX. so is my slow speed a reason why my tires havent been chewed in a couple week or even months?

·
'04 A/T Nighthawk Pearl
183 Posts
I dropped my TSX on the A-Spec suspension kit and my rear camber is off by one degree. So I'll be purchasing a rear camber kit.

·
Not JDM
1,893 Posts
i realized that negative camber makes my rear end drift/sway side to side when driving on the snow this winter. But in the summer, it was great, especially on cornering and the car drove straight

·
got some new shoes :)
3,491 Posts
thread revival , need an alignment after camber kit ?

·
3,491 Posts
sh!t , its a p.i.t.a for me to get an alignment around here cause my car is "too low"

·
(: Daniel :)
3,224 Posts
Alignment=yes. You reminded me that I need to install my camber kit too lol. Sucks about not being able to get an alignment done. I have no finger gap and got mine done without a prob at Firestone. At the dealer right now getting my TPMS installed in my rims and having the weather stripping replaced etc.

·
3,491 Posts
yea i payed like $80 when i found someone to do it :\ then they tryed to say to fix my problem i would need a camber kit which i knew but they tryed to say it twould cost $500 and i laughed in there face and left

·
3,491 Posts
from everything ive gathered most will say there is no need for a camber kit up front on tsx

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,096 Posts
So there is no need for something like this...

on the front end of the TSX?
Not everyone may need it, but I have this Skunk2 arm on my car and I love it. Don't bother with the ball joints in the front, they'll just give you trouble. Do it right the first time and thank Skunk2 for releasing this part for our cars.

I think front camber kits are for people who are trying to "tune" or adjust their camber to a certain degree. Or for people who are just paranoid about that kinda stuff... :)

·
Registered
898 Posts
I would stick with 1 degree of neg camber up front. Just for less understeer :D
Just had an alignment done today. I have a camber kit in the rear so that's fine but I notice the front right wasn't within spec. Front left is at -0.8 and the right is at -1.2. Wondering if I should get a front camber kit now...

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Just had an alignment done today. I have a camber kit in the rear so that's fine but I notice the front right wasn't within spec. Front left is at -0.8 and the right is at -1.2. Wondering if I should get a front camber kit now...
That's pretty funny, mine has the same specs. Don't worry about it, with camber .4 off it will not cause any damage, pull or bad anything. You can easily daily with almost -2 and not see any more wear than normal, unless your toe is off.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts