Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a totally random thread. I've just started to notice that every time I drive, I look at my rpm gauge constantly, almost every time it shifts or revving up from stop to go, etc. It's like I want to keep it in a specific range and don't want to drive the car freely without looking at the rpms. Before I had this car, I never even bothered to look. Just wondering, do most of you guys do that too or is it just me?

My car is an automatic too so it's not like I have to know when to shift lol.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm pretty new to this car, and getting used to feeling the engine, and where It's happy and where It's not. So yes, I do check the revs quite a bit.
I HATE the way the auto box tries to pull a gear from under 2k revs, often nearer to 1000. It lugs the engine and It's rough on the bits that count.
I'm more often driving in manual mode to keep the revs up. It's the worst aspect of what I think is a brilliant car, and I suspect it caused some well documented problem

·
Registered
292 Posts
So here;s a question.

Are you actually getting better gas mileage keeping the revs right down low?

My car doesn't have a real time fuel usage guage. My BMW and Volvo did.
The consumption was worse (much worse) at low revs when under load than when the revs were a little further up around the torque peak where the engine is most efficient.
I don't see that the Honda would be any different.

·
Registered
292 Posts
^^ Only ppl with a scangauge can comment on that, but for city driving I wouldn't go to the high rpms and then soon press on the brakes at th next red stop light.
Do any of our cars have these gauges? This is the first car I've had in years that doesn't.
Still, comparing engines and their characteristics, the closest I've had recently is the Volvo 2.8 litre 5 cylinder. Lower rev limit than the Honda with a little more low down torque.
Driving that at low revs in the top two gears at 60kph (40mph)(1500- 2000rpm) gave fuel readings of around 15- 20 litres per 100 kilometres.
Driving in 2nd and 3rd at the same speeds @ 2500-3000rpm gave readings of 7-10 litres per 100 kilometres.

Given that the Honda engine is built to rev, I would hazzard a guess that pulling that weight at low revs in a high gear is not doing your fuel usage any favours. Nor is it doing the engine any good. you can feel the harshness under 2000 revs.
You just can't drive them like a 4 litre V8.
A small engine with a 7-8k rev limit isn't happy idling around.

I now tend to use the manual mode a lot more. For 60kph (40mph) and under, I keep it in 2nd or third gear. The manual mode works quite well, and for slower city work, keeping it in the lower gears means I have more engine braking too as well as better response when accellerating to change lane or get ahead of the idiots, so it's certainly not a case of having to jam the brakes on all the time.
It uses the engine for the way it was designed, and it's actually smoother than relying on the auto to jump all over the place.

Works for me anyway.

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
So here;s a question.

Are you actually getting better gas mileage keeping the revs right down low?

My car doesn't have a real time fuel usage guage. My BMW and Volvo did.
The consumption was worse (much worse) at low revs when under load than when the revs were a little further up around the torque peak where the engine is most efficient.
I don't see that the Honda would be any different.
Every car has a different powerband, and for the tsx I've found the sweet spot (between good gas consumption and driving) is to shift around 3k, no less. Anything less like you said puts load on the car in the next gear and you end up using more throttle.

Hilarious read. Always wondered about the drivers shifting under 3K.
Not on this car, you'll feel like its a slug. The car I was referring to back in 08 was a g35x and TL type s lol. Obviously has more torque being that those are v6's

·
Registered
292 Posts
Every car has a different powerband, and for the tsx I've found the sweet spot (between good gas consumption and driving) is to shift around 3k, no less. Anything less like you said puts load on the car in the next gear and you end up using more throttle.

Not on this car, you'll feel like its a slug. The car I was referring to back in 08 was a g35x and TL type s lol. Obviously has more torque being that those are v6's
Precisely!

·
TarmacTSX
1,589 Posts
3-3500k is a good area to shift like u guys said, but it also depends on where you are, climate, and if you're in an area with a lot of hills or not. If I just happen to be in an area where i'm driving more up hill than down, i'll rev a little higher(not full throttle or anything)around 4-4500k so my 2nd gear won't have that weight to carry since it drops so low.

·
Registered
422 Posts
i don't really glance down at my tach. i catch almost everything with my peripheral vision and know quite well where 3000rpm is; depending on circumstance, i shift below/above 3000rpm as needed.

most of the time, i shift by "feel" and engine noise...

·
Registered
292 Posts
i don't really glance down at my tach. i catch almost everything with my peripheral vision and know quite well where 3000rpm is; depending on circumstance, i shift below/above 3000rpm as needed.

most of the time, i shift by "feel" and engine noise...
Way to go.
I'm just too new to the car to feel it properly yet, but I'm getting there.
Maybe I should invest in an intake and exhaust. I just can't hear the engine unless it's on the cam.

·
My car whines
637 Posts
i can probably accelerate faster by running than to shift at 2k rpms lol

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
Since I drive a manual, I absolutely always look at my RPM's. I think it's a good thing to have this habit because it also allows me to check the speedometer at the same time. Doing so allows me to always be aware of how fast I'm going. I would never kick this habit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I love the sound the 06' TSX makes revving up as I head down onto the freeway. Around town I often do not have the radio on. I enjoy hearing the motor, and it reduces the need to watch the tach as much. However, I have noticed there are times when I can not hear the motor and then rely more on the tach.

Since I have had it I have put about about 12K on the car, and have been learning more about the fine points of shifting and quick driving. Yes, I think the goal is to ultimately not need the tach so much and drive by feel.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Since I drive a manual, I absolutely always look at my RPM's. I think it's a good thing to have this habit because it also allows me to check the speedometer at the same time. Doing so allows me to always be aware of how fast I'm going. I would never kick this habit.
I'd think you know what RPM and speed you are at by the sound of your car and time spent in each gear (and how it is behaving in a given gear). . .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.