Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I been searching on how to convert a car's headlights to HID/Xenons & notice that apparently they come in different strengths. Does anyone know what the 1st generation came w/? I am guessing something on the high side since it appears blue.

Temperatures

Because of the technology that HIDs use it is possible to change the colour of the light that the HID bulbs produce. Standard HIDs that are fitted from the factory normally use 5000k or 6000k. Many customers think the higher the Kelvin the brighter the bulbs are, this is incorrect. The higher the Kelvin the more colourful the light becomes, this colour reduces the lumens produced.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
2,851 Posts
You can go past 12000k but they are weird colors and are horrible for visibility.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I also think 4300k is the brightest..probably a big reason why the cars come with those stock..6000k is more for appearance from what i've gathered

·
free beard rides!
961 Posts
nope anything above 4300k I believe is illegal and cannot warrantied but up to 6000k is the brightest

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks All!

This board & the internet is so amazing ... so much info right @ your fingertips. Information Super HighWay 4ever.

I would have thought that the TSX came w/ a higher up bulb bc back in 2004 or 2005, I could always tell when a TL or TSX was coming @ me @ night bc their HIDs were always so much more clear & bright compared to other brands {back then the MDX & RSX did not have them & the RL & NSX were rare on the road}; this is why I was interested in which one came stock w/ the TSX.

Nowadays, tho, it appears the competition is catching up bc Acuras no longer stand out as much as they used to.

·
(: Daniel :)
3,224 Posts
^ haha, yea ppl are realizing how much better HID's are for visibility and safety, life of the bulb which will create less waste etc. Our stock's come at 4300K like mentioned but some argue that 5000K is the purest of white. A few of my friends have 6000K bulbs and they give off the more blue tinge and definitely lower the visibility for them. I wouldn't go above 6000K for use as anything above that just goes to more show than practical use and annoys other drivers and is more likely to make the cops bug you.

Most times our bulbs look blue to others because of the glass within the projector, it tints the bulbs color output to a more blue. I swapped headlights and with the different projectors and glass (same ballast and bulb) it appears to be a lot more white opposed to having that light blue tint to it with the OEM projectors.

·
Not JDM
1,893 Posts
the lower the kelvins the further in distance the light travels.(which is better for seeing)
the higher the kelvins, the brighter, but they are useless at such high kelvins
Also, when the kelvins get higher, visibility is reduced when it rains or snows

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
The kelvins indicates color temperature (e.g., what color it is). It is not an indicator of how much light is thrown out (lumens).

The optics of the headlights can affect the color of the light as well. 4300k is the best since it throws out the most light. BMW's, Acura's, etc. will have 4300k. BMW looks bluer than Acura though because of their optics. In fact, my accord has an HID bulb from a BMW that was retrofitted with a different base (so that it would fit in my accord's housing). I got HID lights for my accord back when it was a new thing (I paid over $500 for the kit). Anyway, my light doesn't look anything like that from a BMW.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts