Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the rear door speakers and to try them out disconnected the 6x9 deck speakers and put the fader all the way to the rear. I was surprised to not hear any low bass coming from my new JBl's. Thinking they might be out of phase I reversed pos/neg wires on 1 speaker and still no change in bass. Is the factory HU severely limiting bass to the rear door speakers? Because the stock front door speakers definitely have plenty of bass going to them.

Also, I replaced the 6x9's a few weeks ago with JBL's and now wondering is there an adjustment on ?rear amp? to lower volume or limit bass to just the deck speakers?

·
Registered
237 Posts
the 6x9s in the rear deck are subwoofers, so i imagine the factory amp is running a high pass filter or sloped crossover on the door speakers. What you probably want to do is use a signal processor that will merge all of the output channels from the factory amp and provide outputs you can run to an aftermarket amplifier. Another problem you'll run into is the factory amp changes EQ settings depending on volume, so if you use the factory volume controls it will mess with your sound. I've seen guys run a volume control in the not a coin tray to get around this. You can also modify a stock non-nav head unit to remove the stereo portion and keep the OEM AC controls allowing you to run an aftermarket head unit or tablet, but that's a lot of work.

·
Registered
379 Posts
As evil said.... The back deck acts as subs, along with the front doors. Rear doors are "full range" and probably are filtered to not produce much low end. If you haven't replaced the front components yet, that is probably what you are missing to get the low end you want near the driver's seat.
Note, since the front is a component kit, the new kit will likely come with crossovers/filters for the tweeters. When I did my speakers I opted not to use them due to concerns they may filter differently than the stock amp and create a hole in the range. If you do choose to use them I'd recommend replacing the stock amp to ensure you get the range of sound the given components are designed to produce.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I was hoping to just change 6 main speakers without doing anything else. So I'm going to switch the new rear door JbL's to the front and get a cheaper pair for the rear doors that have good mids/highs.

The dash speakers are tweeters only? They don't sound too bad to me so I have no plans on changing them. But if I change my mind later they can be swapped easily + inexpensively, right? But actually how much improvement will budget-friendly aftermarkets provide?

·
Registered
194 Posts
the 6x9s in the rear deck are subwoofers, so i imagine the factory amp is running a high pass filter or sloped crossover on the door speakers. What you probably want to do is use a signal processor that will merge all of the output channels from the factory amp and provide outputs you can run to an aftermarket amplifier. Another problem you'll run into is the factory amp changes EQ settings depending on volume, so if you use the factory volume controls it will mess with your sound. I've seen guys run a volume control in the not a coin tray to get around this. You can also modify a stock non-nav head unit to remove the stereo portion and keep the OEM AC controls allowing you to run an aftermarket head unit or tablet, but that's a lot of work.

Bingo

If you're gonna modify this car's audio from stock while also keeping the OEM head unit because of the HVAC controls (do NOT repeat NOT get the Metra harness), then get a sound processor to clean up all the head unit funkiness, feed the info into a proper aftermarket amplifier, and bypass the rear deck.

I can highly recommend the custom JL Audio subwoofer enclosure from this place too:

I'm not nuts, so I just have the one on my driver's side and a 5-channel amp driving my cabin speakers and this sub.

And the sound processor, is very neatly installed behind the drop down armrest between the two rear seats. (I give up the passthrough from the trunk, I guess, but I never used that anyway)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Well, I was hoping to just change 6 main speakers without doing anything else. So I'm going to switch the new rear door JbL's to the front and get a cheaper pair for the rear doors that have good mids/highs.

The dash speakers are tweeters only? They don't sound too bad to me so I have no plans on changing them. But if I change my mind later they can be swapped easily + inexpensively, right? But actually how much improvement will budget-friendly aftermarkets provide?
The front doors and dash are a component set. Woofers in the doors and tweeters on the dash. If you move those new speakers to the front doors they will only produce low/mid sound. All the highs in front come from the dash tweeters.
I had alpine type S all around in my car. Rear deck woofers, rear door full range, and in front a component kit with woofers and tweeters, all stock sizes except the tweeters required a little modification to the stock housings to fit. Pretty budget friendly setup and made a significant difference. I don't go all audiophile in cars because that required lots of sound damping. But for the cost, what I did sounded miles better than stock at any volume. Bass was tight and clear instead of the muddy swamp the OEMs make.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Correction: rears act as a “sub” if you don’t have rear door speakers. You don’t have rear door speakers if you don’t have navigation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No, rear speakers are not subwoofers. They don’t just do bass. In the wagon, there are two tweeters, two midrange drivers and two rear mid range with almost no treble. Sub in rear passenger side. In the sedan, same front setup, same rear (at least 2009-14 CU2). The rears in the CU2 are as you said, with the middle 6.5 inch as a sub. Rear speakers should have full range sent to them. The 6x9s you bought may have a high pass filter preventing too much or no bass to go through! They do this because distortion will blow those speakers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As others have said, the rear deck 6x9s produce the bass.

I installed a new radio while keeping the factory a/c and it sounds much better

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Maybe OP should clarify whether he has a CL9 or CU2...
Not sure what that is but I have '04 non Navi.

I just tried out my new rear deck 6x9's (Jbl Gto series) by isolating them and yep all you get is low base. And it doesn't sound great at all with trunk + deck vibration even with bass turned all the way down. So now I'm gonna read up on dynamattig the deck and also going to try bass blockers on them.

I'm now in $400 on 6 JBL speakers (with foam fast rings) and discovering like many TSX'ers that just swapping speakers is not necessarily the upgrade you thought it would be due to factory HU sending different signals to the speakers.

But with that said the mids sound quite nice on the JBL's in the doors and highs too. The overall sound is monumentally better than factory pioneers, perhaps even inspiring, but still could use some tweaking. So with bass blockers and deck insulation it should sound quite good especially for a stock headunit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Update:

Now I have all the door speakers in. So, 6 new JBL GTO series in doors + rear deck. Sounds quite decent and it's now more of a true listening experience instead of just hearing music if you know what I mean. I'm going to put 700 hz bass blockers in front door speakers and the sound should be even better.

I was wrong about the bass sounding bad on the rear deck. The sound is as good as you can expect from a pair of 3-way 6x9's costing $120 pair being powered by factory system. They are a huge improvement over stock pioneers. But I would recommend perhaps getting 6x9's or 6-1/2's for the rear deck that are made specifically for good low bass if you don't plan on adding a subwoofer or amp. I had the Alpine's type S in rear deck at first and sent them back for the JBL's costing less than $20 more and do like the JBl's much better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts