Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trying to stick to 06-08 but I just can’t find one in the colors I want. I really want black on black but would you guys purchase this year vehicle with that many miles? Or should I not be too worried about it? I know these cars will last a long time if cared for but I also know 04-05 had more problems. Should I check it out?

·
Registered
156 Posts
it's an automatic. you want an auto? I would say just wait and get what you want, this one doesn't look like it's been cared for very well. Torn seats, filthy engine bay, and hazed headlights and the little small time dealer didn't even bother to clean it up. Bet you it's been run past maintenance intervals using cheap parts like walmart oil and whatever filter was cheapest. Bet it's seen lots of 87 octane gas. Be patient and get what you really want. When you see the right car you'll know. There's a reason you're asking us to try and talk you into it. You know that's not a good car. Get a manual trans. They're completely different cars with the 6 speed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's not a bad price, I have 204k miles on my 07. The paint on the roof is going in those pictures. Also, the seats are torn. Be careful with the automatic transmission, if it wasn't maintained it is probably due to fail.

·
Registered
847 Posts
It's at a dealership? And the dealer didn't even bother cleaning the engine bay? I'd keep looking.

As for miles, don't let that scare you. If the car was maintained it's fine. I have 340k+ miles and wouldn't worry for a second if I had to drive across the country right now.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Don't let miles scare you as long as you can verify the car was maintained. Otherwise stay away from the unknown. The above doesn't look great but it's not terrible. The clear coat and seats are problematic, but I'm not sure why anyone thinks that engine bay says "neglect"... Personally I hate when dealers spray that shiny crap all over the engine bay, because then I can't see potential leaks, or clean spots where someone hands have been recently, etc.
To me, seeing an engine bay like that is a good sign there is no attempt to hide anything.
The engine bay appears to be stock, and complete.
Biggest issue I see with that car is it's price for that mileage on an AT in that condition. For that price and you could have an MT. Hopefully one with service history. I can think of at least one for sale 😉

·
Registered
290 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
The first one has been hit in the front and the second one is a 12 day old listing, which indicates it has issues. You have to realize that you are 12 years behind in picking the most popular color options for a used 1st gen Tsx. The odds are against you in finding a good condition black on black car. The best car for your budget will be some other color not liked by someone young like yourself. These are 12 to 16 year old cars with plastic parts getting brittle and rubber parts rotting with age. Buying something with known issues will just add to the money spent on standard maintenance they already need. I am at 304k on my Tsx and I have replaced: 2 starters, 1 radiator, 2 alternators, 1 steering pump, 1 one steering rack, 1 a/c compressor and all the major front suspension components. These are some of the standard items that come with high mileage.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Ah... whoops. Totally missed the salvage title in the 1st post.

For the 2nd link, I wouldn’t say a 12 day old listing automatically indicates a problem with the car especially in this pandemic. Still worth giving the seller a call to inquire about the vehicle and get a PPI if it checks out. Depending on what the PPI reveals, the op can use that as leverage to reduce the price assuming he can stomach the cost of the repairs for the known issues.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Don't let miles scare you as long as you can verify the car was maintained. Otherwise stay away from the unknown. The above doesn't look great but it's not terrible. The clear coat and seats are problematic, but I'm not sure why anyone thinks that engine bay says "neglect"... Personally I hate when dealers spray that shiny crap all over the engine bay, because then I can't see potential leaks, or clean spots where someone hands have been recently, etc.
To me, seeing an engine bay like that is a good sign there is no attempt to hide anything.
The engine bay appears to be stock, and complete.
Biggest issue I see with that car is it's price for that mileage on an AT in that condition. For that price and you could have an MT. Hopefully one with service history. I can think of at least one for sale 😉
I know the dealership world very well both franchise and independents. They are supposed to do a certain level of upkeep to the car. If the bay didn't even get sprayed down alls that tells me is the dealer thinks the car is a loser and not worth putting any effort into it. They're just trying to get it off the lot. Like I said, I'd keep looking.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I know the dealership world very well both franchise and independents. They are supposed to do a certain level of upkeep to the car. If the bay didn't even get sprayed down alls that tells me is the dealer thinks the car is a loser and not worth putting any effort into it. They're just trying to get it off the lot. Like I said, I'd keep looking.
Fair enough. I try to stay away from dealers as much as possible regardless. So can't say I have a ton of experience in that regard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lol some of these comments are so funny. Do you really expect to get a spectacular car at that age and price? Come on people. Not everyone loves cars like us who actually joins a car group for discussion and support. Make sure you have an agenda when buying a car first thing. A torn or crack seat is the least as long as it's not entirely and badly torn. leather seats will be torn especially the driver seat. An engine bay must not be washed when being sold (someone already mentioned this, I agree). Sun burn? Take it or leave it, it can be fixed by vinyl wrap or spray job. It all depends on what your agenda is for this new purchase. If you are on a budget then you dont have much options. Honda's are strong my friend.
Would you buy a BMW with excellent Interior and Major expensive repairs or buy a honda line of vehicle that will save you gas and carry you all over the US with a torn seat. Your Choice.
I bought my 05 tsx for 2999. At a small time dealer, it was a junk...but i cared for her like she's suppose to. Just an update on 14Months of workostly done by myself.
Few jobs done by professionals.

Feb 2019 - April 2020
I buy mostly 87 Gas. NO major issues at all.
Reg. Service. Last oil change- Havoline High mileage fr. WALMART. K&N Filter. Jan.2020
Most jobs are mandatory. some optional.

1. Rear hub bearings.. March 2019
2. Serpentine belt. March 2019
3. Engine bay cleaning/Tint for summer
Headlight cleaning wax. Fog lamp install.
LED & DRL install. cold air intake exhaust.

4. Power steering pump seal replace, fluid change. New reservoir bottle.
5. Four New Tires. 17s. October 2019
Brake pads/rotor job.
6. Front Lower control arms. Sept. 2019
7. Front shock spring assembly. Full alignment. Oct. 2019.
8. Head cover gasket seal leak..*replace. Dec 2019
9. Vtec leak. Gasket replace
10. Rear upper Camber adjuster arm install.

Never say never**** but this baby has never left me stranded. I've never had to call roadside assistance. Give thanks to God.

At Beginning of quarantine the Rack and pinion boot started leaking. Was very upset but it was my fault. In 2019 the pump seals were bad and I poured a non honda fluid in reservoir before changing seals. That messed the whole system up and damaged the rack over time. It cost me about $700. 2 weeks ago. Sighing. But I'm happy to have her home during this time from the shop.

So that was a used OEM Rack + another alignment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts