Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any of you guys ever notice your TSX acting funny when the engine is cold? i feel mine "jerking" when i start to accelerate when i first start the car.

G

·
Mine, hesitates roughly when shifting at higher RPMs. I don't like it. It's like the engine dies for a second when I let go of the gas to shift, then surges afterward. Not very good at all. It's not something you realize during a test drive since you don't really push the test drive cars. Car n Driver complained about the throttle being "goosey."

IB

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
Mark98 said:
any of you guys ever notice your TSX acting funny when the engine is cold? i feel mine "jerking" when i start to accelerate when i first start the car.
yes, there is also just a natural warm up process for the car. It generally revs around 1000 rpm while cold, but only 700 when warm. so that's the extra surge you feel...it also seems a little delayed in reacting...another symptom of cold engine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey thanks johnej. i knew i saw that discussed somewhere on here but couldn't find the posts again. sounds like they're having similar experiences, but mine acts really tempermental when the engine is cold. if i'm leaving my house, for example, and i'm starting to accelerate at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, the TSX stutters and jerks all the way up to speed. obviously i don't always nail half throttle when the engine is cold, but i have to sometimes to get into traffic. i've never had another fuel injected car do this, and that's why i'm convinced it has to have something to do with the DBW. i guess that's what warranties are for! lol :laugh:

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
Mark98 said:
hey thanks johnej. i knew i saw that discussed somewhere on here but couldn't find the posts again. sounds like they're having similar experiences, but mine acts really tempermental when the engine is cold. if i'm leaving my house, for example, and i'm starting to accelerate at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, the TSX stutters and jerks all the way up to speed. obviously i don't always nail half throttle when the engine is cold, but i have to sometimes to get into traffic. i've never had another fuel injected car do this, and that's why i'm convinced it has to have something to do with the DBW. i guess that's what warranties are for! lol :laugh:
have you read this entire thread? You kinda have to get used to driving it...almost like a new clutch or something.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, i re-read it. thanks for your help...i thought something was wrong with my car but i guess not. i think it's more "cold engine" than anything.

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
Mark98 said:
yeah, i re-read it. thanks for your help...i thought something was wrong with my car but i guess not. i think it's more "cold engine" than anything.
You can always taken it in after a couple of months, but give it some time to get used to...if you still think there might be something wrong then take it in.

G

·
I took mine in and I showed the mechanic how it would lurch when going at high RPMs from first to second gear. Then when he drove, it didn't happen. The guy would let the clutch out very slowly and applying throttle, the car won't lurch. He basically said I didn't know how to drive. I have been trying it now and what happens is that the TSX expects throttle input BEFORE you even start to release the clutch during an upshift. I have been able to reduce the lurching when changing gears but I don't like it. The way the guy drove it, he was slipping the clutch at high RPMs and he's a mechanic.

So basically, I got nowhere. If I forget to caress the gas pedal and slip the clutch a little bit, it lurches. No good!

The problem is the DBW throttle. It is more precise than other cable systems and demands more finesse, but I still don't like the way the mechanic slips the clutch especially in high-rev-get-out-of-the-way-of-a-hauling-butt-18-wheeler situations.

IB

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
I agree, it took me awhile to figure out what to do with the 1-2 shift, but it comes almost naturally now, i forget sometimes. :)

G

·
Yeah, I don't like it but you can train yourself to minimize it. I'm hoping that if enough people complain, they might have a fix for it since it is basically a software issue with the Drive by Wire system. It would be easy for them to remap that and fix it. The downside to slipping the clutch to prevent this is premature clutch wear, which Acura will not warranty.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
I still forget to do it, so I still feel like I am getting whip lashed everyonce in awhile. Oh well, it is the characteristic of dbw then so be it. i just wonder if the other dbw cars with mt have the same issue

G

·
Oh yeah! It definitely happens with the MT, actually, I think it's worse on the MT. I drove an auto and it didn't do it.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
yeah i know, i just like the manual transmission... now only if I could get in the mdx, or rl..

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
The rdx would be nice, but I need some room for parts. The TSX fits ok, as the whole back seat folds down, the TL just has a pass-thru... Don't know what the RL has..

·
Registered
98 Posts
nachob said:
I took mine in and I showed the mechanic how it would lurch when going at high RPMs from first to second gear ...
I think this this a separate issue: how to coordinate the clutch and the gas pedal to get the smoothest shifts. This is different on different cars ...

OTOH, there are issues with DBW that don't involve shifting. In my car, I can lift off the gas for a moment, then start to press gently it again (e.g., when coasting / cruising in traffic). When I start to squeeze the gas, nothing happens for a moment; in fact, it almost feels as if the engine braking force is increasing. Then the fuel cuts in abruptly and you can feel the car lurch. All of this happens without a gear change, and it's annoying.

You can get a similar lurching/jerking sensation in other MT cars in 1st or 2nd when going suddenly from off-throttle to on-throttle, but the TSX does it more and it's notable in every gear.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts