Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
If you really want to save money you can always repair it yourself with a leather repair kit. It takes a day or two to dry depending on how many times you work on it. I did it myself a few years ago and it still looks and feels like new. I worked on the drive side bolster that gets all the abuse. It had a tear, at least 6 inches so I had to work on it for several days but it came out really good. The only issue I had was it needed coloring so I used gloss vinyl paint instead of flat or matte black and now it shines. There are a ton of leather repair YouTube videos if you are interested.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you’ve got a tear, hole, or crack in your leather car seat, you may be wondering whether you need all new upholstery. Fortunately, you can repair small amounts of damage by yourself. Fix tears with a repair kit, use a patch to fix holes, or refinish the seats with liquid leather to hide cracks. Keep in mind that large gouges and rips are best fixed by someone with upholstery experience.

Choose a repair kit with colorant that matches the leather. Your best bet is to find a repair kit made by the manufacturer of your car. Otherwise, compare several kits to your upholstery to find the best color match.
Clean the seat. Use mild soap and a damp rag to clean the leather. Remove crumbs, dust, dirt, and grime by scrubbing the seat gently. Allow it to dry completely before proceeding.
Trim any ragged edges around the tear. If the edges of the tear curl outward or have threads hanging from them, use a pair of scissors to trim them off.
Glue the canvas backing cloth underneath the tear. Slip a piece of backing cloth into the hole and then slide it beneath the tear. Put a small amount of the included glue on the edges of the tear so they stick to the cloth. Allow the glue to dry completely.
Build up layers of leather filler. Use a palette knife to spread the leather filler onto the backing cloth between the edges of the tear. Allow each layer to dry before applying another. Keep building up the filler until it slightly overlaps the leather seat.
Sand down the filler.Once the filler is completely dry, use a fine-grit sanding block to sand down the top layer. Stop when the filler is even with the rest of the leather
Do your best not to sand too much of the surrounding leather. A sanding block, rather than sand paper, will give you more control over the area.
Wipe down the seat with a damp cloth. Use a slightly damp, clean cloth, to remove any dust or debris leftover from the sanding process. Allow the seat to dry before moving on
Apply the colorant to the filler. Use a clean cloth to rub the colorant onto the area where you applied filler. Build up several layers if necessary, allowing each layer to dry fully, until the color matches the rest of the leather
Cover the area with leather sealant. Apply leather sealant with a clean cloth to the area you repaired. This will prevent the colorant from rubbing off. Allow the sealant to dry completely before sitting on the seat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts