Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I go to school in Boston for most of the year. I just got a tsx a few weeks ago, which I absolutely love :). Anyways, I noticed Ive got a nice set of high performance tires on her. Has anyone had any experience with driving in bad road conditions with these tires? We get bad winters in boston which im sure you know and i really dont feel like spending $500 on a new set of all weather tires. i guess if its going to save me from skidding on some ice I may have to. what is your experience? anyone from boston or the new england area? Thanks.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hazarrd said:
I go to school in Boston for most of the year. I just got a tsx a few weeks ago, which I absolutely love :). Anyways, I noticed Ive got a nice set of high performance tires on her. Has anyone had any experience with driving in bad road conditions with these tires? We get bad winters in boston which im sure you know and i really dont feel like spending $500 on a new set of all weather tires. i guess if its going to save me from skidding on some ice I may have to. what is your experience? anyone from boston or the new england area? Thanks.
I am in Boston too and used to have a TSX.

Is the high performance tires come with the car ? I mean OEM, or you put a set of high perf tires on her ?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Sounds like he means he got it USED, and the person who had it put high-performance tires on it.

Hazarrd -- In order to get the best possible answer, you'd have to say exactly what tires they are. I personally wouldn't know anyway, but some other people probably would.

I can tell you that in general, "high-performance" tires do involve a sacrifice in those winter conditions, and you shouldn't expect to use them in the winter. But some kinds are probably less bad than others.

BTW what's the deal with the "double r" in Hazarrd? :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oops. Sorry, I should have specified. Its a new TSX with stock tires. I just sort of assumed they were high performance. 2 r's for....who knows?! haha. whats your call on the stock tires larchmont? thanks.

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
Hazarrd said:
Anyways, I noticed Ive got a nice set of high performance tires on her. Has anyone had any experience with driving in bad road conditions with these tires? We get bad winters in boston which im sure you know and i really dont feel like spending $500 on a new set of all weather tires.
The original Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 215/50/17?

The Pilot HX MXM4 is also an original tire on the Volvo XC90 SUV, and the people who have 'em have gone completely nuts with their posts after the first snow, that's how bad they are! (Olaf, what were you THINKING???) I have a set of Dunlop Winter Sport M2s on 16" Accord V6 rims for the Acura and a set of Michelin Arctic Alpins on 15" steelies for the Volvo. I never take the Porsche out of the garage in the snow, and that's after having great fun hanging the tail out in the snow until I got it going backwards down a highway exit ramp (no damage except to my ego!). :eek:

:mardi:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Dunno, I gotta disagree with Bob (which, according to experience, is a dangerous thing). :D

The stock tires aren't "performance" tires, they're all-season. My experience with them this past winter was VERY VERY GOOD, and, as you may remember, it was perhaps the very worst winter in memory. And I think virtually all the experience shown on all the TSX sites was in line with that.

We've had much discussion about the stock tires. A lot of people on the TSX sites don't like them, but it's for performance reasons, NOT winter failings.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hazarrd said:
I wonder if Hazarrd get the car in the same dealership as mine. I heard that they have discount for customer on winter tires. Good news for you.

I absolutely refused to switch to winter tires, it is because I want to avoid any tires swapping business. That's why I trade for the TSX.

·
in search of PW threads
301 Posts
bob shiftright said:
The original Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 215/50/17?
The all-season Pilot HX MXM4 is at the bottom of its category in Tire Rack's customer survey results: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=GTAS

I never take the Porsche out of the garage in the snow, and that's after having great fun hanging the tail out in the snow until I got it going backwards down a highway exit ramp (no damage except to my ego!).
Wait --- you mean the Porsche didn't do well in FWD?

·
Registered
204 Posts
larchmont said:
Dunno, I gotta disagree with Bob (which, according to experience, is a dangerous thing). :D

The stock tires aren't "performance" tires, they're all-season. My experience with them this past winter was VERY VERY GOOD, and, as you may remember, it was perhaps the very worst winter in memory. And I think virtually all the experience shown on all the TSX sites was in line with that.

We've had much discussion about the stock tires. A lot of people on the TSX sites don't like them, but it's for performance reasons, NOT winter failings.
Hey larchmont, You had worse snow than in Boston last winter ?

If you say it's good, I trust you and not swapping :)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
My 2 cents... If there's enough snow that falls and stays on the ground, you need snow tires. Safety is not something to be cheap with. If you come up to QC in winter, you need snow tires.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
tradsf said:
My 2 cents... If there's enough snow that falls and stays on the ground, you need snow tires. Safety is not something to be cheap with. If you come up to QC in winter, you need snow tires.
Before we make these 2 cents worth 3 cents: :D

Have you (or anybody) heard of anyone having trouble in the snow with the stock TSX tires, either in QC or anywhere?

I don't recall hearing of any trouble.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The stock tires are alright in the snow but if you get a lot of snow I would get snow tires. I did have a problem with the tsx last winter. It involved the vsa system. I was in the right lane getting into the middle lane when a tire started to spin so the vsa started to brake and turned the wheel a little and I ended up in the left lane so I started to move back to the middle lane when the car put me back in the left lane. It did this a few times before I figured out to turn the vsa off so I wouldn't have to fight with it.

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
larchmont said:
Have you (or anybody) heard of anyone having trouble in the snow with the stock TSX tires, either in QC or anywhere?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=GTAS

The Tire Rack survey has our Michelin summer tires on the absolute bottom of the heap for snow traction. The Volvo XC90 SUV people think they're awful in the snow.

Michelin and Dunlop both offer 4 season tires that are performance and M&S rated, meaning they have some traction in the snow, but ours sure ain't 'em!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
bob shiftright said:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=GTAS

The Tire Rack survey has our Michelin summer tires on the absolute bottom of the heap for snow traction.....
Here I go with "semantics" again.....

Since you said Michelin summer tires, I have to ask: Are you sure those are our tires? After all, I didn't think our Michelins are called "summer," but "all-season."

Good info from Briny -- thanks!

·
Where am I?
30 Posts
The stock tires aren't terrible in snow, but they're not great either. I'd say just keep them on until they wear out and then get a better all-season tire. That's what I'm doing.

BTW, I live in Wisconsin and it snows a lot here.

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
larchmont said:

Since you said Michelin summer tires, I have to ask: Are you sure those are our tires?
OK. On the Tire Rack survey, based on 7,170,394 miles on these tires, buyers ranked the tire #16 of 16, with a snow traction score of 4.6 out of 10. (also #16 of 16)

Samples:

"Wet traction is abysmal, dry traction is marginal at best, and they howl well before the limit."

"When they aged and got softer, however, they lost a considerable amount of stability, as well as losing wet&snot traction drastically as the treads got shallower."

"Amazing the Swedes can build such an incredible SUV and then put subpar rubber on it."

"Been a Michelin owner for 25 years and these are by far the worse tires ever"

"These tires spin even with traction control and provide minimal grip. Wet traction is scary."

"Terrible wet and poor dry traction."

"For the winter traction is not good at all 5 inches of snow on the ground has me clearing a path or reversing out of my parking spot no foward traction on FWD car"

"Simply the worst tires Ive ever had on any car Ive owned."

"I will never buy another Michelin product. On a number of occassions I have feared for my life because these tires have failed under the most minimal stress conditions in the snow...dont buy these"

"The AWD, traction control, and ABS features of the Volvo XC90 cant overcome the deficiences of this tire, especially in the snow. I never expected to be sliding through intersections with this vehicle."

"The OE Michelins are by far the worst tires Ive ever owned. Under normal driving they are bald at 20k. Any condition except dry they are dangerous. The only way I was able to survive the snow this winter was because of the traction control and ABS."

etc.etc. I could go on. Some seem to like 'em. Most don't.

·
in search of PW threads
301 Posts
larchmont said:

Since you said Michelin summer tires, I have to ask: Are you sure those are our tires? After all, I didn't think our Michelins are called "summer," but "all-season."
The link mentioned in Bob's post and my earlier post gets you to the survey results for all-season touring tires.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
ClutchPerformer said:
The stock tires aren't terrible in snow, but they're not great either. I'd say just keep them on until they wear out and then get a better all-season tire. That's what I'm doing.

BTW, I live in Wisconsin and it snows a lot here.
So we've heard. :D

Larchmont, who spent 4 years in Milwaukee. :nod:

I guess the general experience with the stock tires in snow wasn't as good as I had thought; funny that we hadn't seen more about this before.
And indeed the stock tires served me EXTREMELY well this past winter. Maybe I've just gotten better (or more conservative?) at driving in snow.

P.S. Great to see you visiting here more, Clutch!

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
Diesel said:
I am in Boston too and used to have a TSX.
Is the high performance tires come with the car ? I mean OEM, or you put a set of high perf tires on her ?
sorry I just immigrated to this forum.
You got rid of TSX, diesel ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts