Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 AT TSX with a catback magnaflow exhaust and the DIY intake. I recently got in on the header group buy and purchased the Weapon R header. I live very close to a machine shop and am wanting to have the VTC machined so I can run it at a safe 45* instead of the stock 25*. I am also looking into having the machine shop port/polish the intake manifold.

Has anyone had a machine shop port/polish the stock intake manifold?
Will machining the VTC affect the drivability of the car until i get it tuned?

I have to drive the car roughly 150-200 miles to the tuner down south, will the mods i have planned hurt the motor on this drive down?

·
Registered
119 Posts
you should be able to drive on a basemap or you can ask your tuner for a basemap to drive on.

as far as porting the intake manifold goes, i would be careful. i would not let any random machine shop port an intake manifold. the stock intake manifold is setup to flow a certain amount of air through each cylinder. when you start porting, you want to make sure that each cylinder is still flowing the same amount of air more or less.

here is a picture a customer sent me of his rbc intake manifold getting ported by the guys at go-power.

i'm assuming you're going to be driving down to orlando to get the car tuned? drive an extra four hours down to miami and i'll tune the car lol.

btw if you're looking at upgrading the stock intake manifold, i'd go with a stock rbc intake manifold. they work well even on a stock longblock k24a2.

·
Triple Platinum Member
601 Posts
btw if you're looking at upgrading the stock intake manifold, i'd go with a stock rbc intake manifold. they work well even on a stock longblock k24a2.
Would you expect any low-mid rpm tq loss with this?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Would you expect any low-mid rpm tq loss with this?
i've only used the rbb intake manifold once and that was on a turbo setup. the rbc and rrc are usually the intake manifolds of choice for your typical k-series.

i'm sure i will be tuning a lot more setups with rbb intake manifolds now that the tsx has a tuning solution.

with regards to low-mid rpm torque loss, i really doubt you'll see a significant loss. there will probably be some kind of loss but i'm sure the rbc intake manifold will pick up more power across the powerband.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I have been driving around with a 40 degree limited in my VTC for month or so without any issues. The stock cal will only run the vtc to 25 degrees anyway.

·
....its fate....
1,276 Posts
^ I agree. I don't believe you can advance it beyond 25 degrees without tuning it. So running with a machined 40 degree actuator should be fine.

Regarding the rbb vs rbc and rrc, I spoke to my tuner and he still believes the rbb will out perform the other two below 7k rpm's, particularly with torque. He said if I wasn't after peak rpm gains then to stick with rbb. He's tuned heaps of Frankenstein builds, k20 and k24 motors so I'll take his word for it. Anyone want to chime in?

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
^ I agree. I don't believe you can advance it beyond 25 degrees without tuning it. So running with a machined 40 degree actuator should be fine.

Regarding the rbb vs rbc and rrc, I spoke to my tuner and he still believes the rbb will out perform the other two below 7k rpm's, particularly with torque. He said if I wasn't after peak rpm gains then to stick with rbb. He's tuned heaps of Frankenstein builds, k20 and k24 motors so I'll take his word for it. Anyone want to chime in?
I stayed away from the RBC and RRC due to low end tq loss, which Hondata discusses in their tune TSX page. I love low in Tq and will not be driving where I could see a true value of having high end power.

·
-
1,696 Posts
The stock TSX RBB intake manifold can certainly be port & polished by hand & die grinder.
Here is a thread where member Awoc cut it in half & hand ported the entire thing, then welded it back together.
The results were minimal. It would cost a ton to pay someone to do that & would not be worth it.

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-engine/48229-diy-k24a2-intake-manifold-porting.html

I would love for someone to get their 2006+ TSX intake manifold extrude honed to see how it would perform. I actually bought a 2nd 2006 intake manifold to do this but it is pricey plus shipping from Canada.

Extrude honing long runner aluminum intake manifolds is common in older 5.0L Mustangs with excellent results.
No low end torque loss but gains in the upper range of RPM band.
I would hope the same for the stock TSX intake manifold.

As for the RBC vs. RRC short runner intake manifolds, there are several dyno's charts on here where the RRC was the better intake overall.

·
Registered
856 Posts
The stock TSX RBB intake manifold can certainly be port & polished by hand & die grinder.
Here is a thread where member Awoc cut it in half & hand ported the entire thing, then welded it back together.
The results were minimal. It would cost a ton to pay someone to do that & would not be worth it.

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-engine/48229-diy-k24a2-intake-manifold-porting.html

I would love for someone to get their 2006+ TSX intake manifold extrude honed to see how it would perform. I actually bought a 2nd 2006 intake manifold to do this but it is pricey plus shipping from Canada.

Extrude honing long runner aluminum intake manifolds is common in older 5.0L Mustangs with excellent results.
No low end torque loss but gains in the upper range of RPM band.
I would hope the same for the stock TSX intake manifold.

As for the RBC vs. RRC short runner intake manifolds, there are several dyno's charts on here where the RRC was the better intake overall.
Okay, I suppose you 'can' P&P, but a huge waste of time. Not to mention it will be rougher regardless than an extrude hone (which is the correct route), effecting air flow.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Id like to recommend not to machine vtc gear or use stoppers , limiters and so on but pick up untouched 50 instead. It will not go after what you tell it to go. Its a balanced part , dont touch it )

rbb is torky on low end coz its narrov runners that gives better air speed , if you port em youll lose that low end and will not see much top end. RRC has less tork but its not noticeable with proper vtc tune on low end but it has awesome power from 6k ! gah damn it pulls so hard on rrc on vtec compared to rbb )

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Id like to recommend not to machine vtc gear or use stoppers , limiters and so on but pick up untouched 50 instead. It will not go after what you tell it to go. Its a balanced part , dont touch it )

rbb is torky on low end coz its narrov runners that gives better air speed , if you port em youll lose that low end and will not see much top end. RRC has less tork but its not noticeable with proper vtc tune on low end but it has awesome power from 6k ! gah damn it pulls so hard on rrc on vtec compared to rbb )
X2...I went with a BP limitered which ran around 30 shipped to do and limited the VTC gear to 40 degrees.

·
Registered
862 Posts
VTC can play 2-3 degree left or right , not more , i tested up to 47 degree on 06 cams up to 5-6 k rpm , then you need to retard it to see power on top. All those hypes bout machining and limiting is to suck your money, nothing else. I know that tune industry dont love such assholes like me but thats it )) Its just like medicine , you will die if not buy this and that LOL .

·
Registered
856 Posts

Was wondering about the VTC myself. If it is ECU controlled, no reason for it to go above ~47 (as you were saying). I understand the peace of mind aspect, but eh. .

Not to hijack, but to do the VTC mod it is a must to go FlashPro and get tuned. Hondata reflash has nothing for that?

·
Registered
862 Posts
All i have to say is that VTC will not advance more than you tell it. Just put 40 for given rpms and youll have 40 , not more. You can make hundreds of datalogs and check em to see where the marker is , what camcmd you have and what cam advance is. It will be always as you programmed it, sometimes less but not more.

I just dont understand why so much ppl speculating on limiting it , maybe to avoid " just in case " or making money on frightened customers.

Not to hijack, but to do the VTC mod it is a must to go FlashPro and get tuned. Hondata reflash has nothing for that?
Yes sir.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I just dont understand why so much ppl speculating on limiting it , maybe to avoid " just in case " or making money on frightened customers.

Yes sir.
More so the latter, for sure. I can't imagine a reason for a failure like that to occur that would send the VTC past threshold.

Anyways, that sucks. Never doing VTC I guess, such a great modification.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ordered my VTC from Hytech...they mod an existing RSX-S VTC to stop at 45*. Im just gonna wait til i get to the tuner to put it on. I understand what everyone is saying about the tune not going past 45 but with working with computers as a CNC programmer, computers arent always right and ghosts are real! lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts