Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 speed TSX and had a chance to drive a TL since I do Valet.

Im a HUGE fan of TLs btw, love them, so aesthetic and everything...but..one thing I noticed is this. Mind you I couldn't really accelarate hard or drive it since it was valet, but..

The TSX 6MT just drives better. My TSX takes corners like no other and handles like a dream. The TL is much faster in a straight line, no denying that. But when I went around a corner with it, it was just too big. It didn't handle near my TSX and actually felt much slower around turns.

This is not a bash TL thread at all, like I said, love them, just a little opinion as we see plenty of TL vs. TSX threads. :D

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have a 6 speed TSX and had a chance to drive a TL since I do Valet.

Im a HUGE fan of TLs btw, love them, so aesthetic and everything...but..one thing I noticed is this. Mind you I couldn't really accelarate hard or drive it since it was valet, but..

The TSX 6MT just drives better. My TSX takes corners like no other and handles like a dream. The TL is much faster in a straight line, no denying that. But when I went around a corner with it, it was just too big. It didn't handle near my TSX and actually felt much slower around turns.

This is not a bash TL thread at all, like I said, love them, just a little opinion as we see plenty of TL vs. TSX threads. :D
The TL's are definitely a beautiful car, especially the 07-08 Type S's. I was very close to trading in my 08 TSX for one in November but decided against it. Aside from the power, the TSX handled much better and the materials had a better quality build in my honest opinion. But to stray away from bashing, I guess it depends on what your looking for, your needs etc...towards a vehicle. But like you said the TL is a big car, it's practically a boat :laugh: so handling wise I'm sure it wont compare as well as the TSX.

·
True Honda Head
785 Posts
What I like about the TL-S..

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The TL's are definitely a beautiful car, especially the 07-08 Type S's. I was very close to trading in my 08 TSX for one in November but decided against it. Aside from the power, the TSX handled much better and the materials had a better quality build in my honest opinion. But to stray away from bashing, I guess it depends on what your looking for, your needs etc...towards a vehicle. But like you said the TL is a big car, it's practically a boat :laugh: so handling wise I'm sure it wont compare as well as the TSX.
I actually think the interior of a TL is better.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
I agree with the points made above, I just find the TSX to be the perfect size

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've driven my sister's TSX around and I generally have to agree with your points.

My TL is heavy as faaaakkk haha

Both 2004 models

Both beautiful as hell cars

·
Registered
101 Posts
Can't compare a TSX with a TL, I had a 03 TL-S and like someone else said, handled like a boat.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Never driven a TL, but I was heavily debating between a TSX and TL. Both are my favorite cars. The only thing I didn't like about the TL is the older 04-06 steering wheel and gauge.

In the end I ended up with a TSX. Sportier and just the right size.

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
If they sold the TSX v6 with a 6spd, I would buy one in a heartbeat.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
I think that for a FWD car it's better to have a lighter 4 cylinder up front instead of a heavy V6 offsetting the weight balance even more

·
Somaek juseyo?
1,291 Posts
Acura should have made the 3rd gen TL a RWD. Because they didn't, it threw off the handling and because it was a torquey V6 in a FWD, it created more torque-steer than what was comfortable. It was those reasons why it was never included in Car and Driver's 10Best, while the 04, 05, and 06 TSX was named Best Sports Sedan in that list, even over its more powerful competition.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well said, Velocifero. Car & Driver preferred the TSX over the TL for exactly the reasons you mentioned. They also loved the 6 speed, saying it offered more engagement and better acceleration than the auto.

Pushing that same logic forward, they also felt the 2G TSX became too heavy and bloated...and did not handle or steer as well as the 1G TSX with the added weight, girth and "numb" electronic steering.

·
Save the Manuals!
63 Posts
What about the 6MT SHAWD? In a couple years I might be looking for a 2011 or 2012, and every review I've read say they handle extremely well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Weight is the enemy of nimble handling. The current TLs weigh too much and are too nose heavy to be considered great handling cars. For a heavy car, they handle okay, but compare them to the reviews of the BMWs 3 series, the kings of sport sedan handling. --And even the 3 series' incredible dynamics are ruined when you add the weight of all wheel drive...what is great in the RWD model becomes merely good with AWD and 300 extra pounds.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I bought a 2004 TL manual last spring. I added an a-Apec suspension to it and drove it for nearly a year. Sold it last month and bought a 2007 TSX, CGP manual.

Why? In the end the TL didn't have the crisp handling that I love, and the clutch was annoying (it was inconsistant and unintuitive). Even in spite of the extra power (lots and lots of FWD power), Brembos and LSD, I like the TSX better. Might be because I had a RSX Type-S for so long and like small nimble cars.

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
I think that for a FWD car it's better to have a lighter 4 cylinder up front instead of a heavy V6 offsetting the weight balance even more
+1 very good point. Weight distribution means alot for handling. Hold an empty box and a run around, no problem. Hold a brick and run around, you'll drift corners! Theres a reason the 944's dominated the track.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts