Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use to dry your car after you have washed it? I have a black TSX, and I am familiar with the fact that every little smudge shows up on black. On my old car(a black VW) I used the Mister Clean kit, which had a filter to spray filtered water as the final step. And believe it or not, it did pretty well. Now that product, and the filter are discontinued. So I went out and bought a choimis, and I'm not sure I'm happy with it's results...that and I must have cheaped out, as after only a month, and about 6 washes(multiple cars), its falling apart.

·
Scientisting since 2005
1,232 Posts

·
*Metalhead*
2,657 Posts
With our black 2010 RDX I wash it only when the paint is cool. I make sure I wash in the shade and with cold water. To dry I use only micro-fiber towels. Some nice, some cheapos from Walmart. Another secret is to do a pre-dry with an electric powered leaf blower. This lessens the amount of wiping you will have to do. Less wiping=less swirls/micro scratching. Poorboys makes some good products that can be used in the sun if shade is not available to you.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
+1 on the microfiber towels. get something light colored so you can see any debris easily in them. When they get wet after a drying a couple panels, you can just wring them out and keep on drying.
I guess I was concerned about scratching using the microfiber, if a piece of dirt got underneath them..That's where I miss the Mr. Clean system, which is basically 'touchless' drying with filtered soft water. but the microfiber towels seem to be the tool of choice so far. I'll give them a shot.

·
PhisaggiN
1,536 Posts
I use micro fiber towels. To prevent scratching don't wipe too much. Just enough to get most of the water off. Slight streaking is taken care of with spray detailer and another micro fiber.

I do this on my white TSX and even on my wifes black jetta and it comes out shiny and streak/scratch free.

BTW i wash my towels after each use by themselves. And dry on low heat without dryer sheets.

:sagginsam:

·
, Regional Meet Leader, SF Bay Area
6,942 Posts
Waffle weave microfiber towels are the safest to use to dry your car... the towel's honeycomb pocket design allows debris that you may have missed while washing the car to be trapped IN the pocket, so that you're not dragging the dirt/sand etc. as you would if you were using a chamois or anything else for that matter

The best method I found that is also most efficient is to lay the towel flat across the paint, hold the two edges closest to you and drag lightly. For the side panels i simply hold the towel by two edges, and swing the towel onto the panel - it'll 'gently dab' onto the paint (Takes 2-3 dabs to fully dry it - spray wax + plush towel for added efficiency)

Another tip is to do the "water sheathing" method after washing you car. To do this simply remove the head nozzle of your hose, and run the water over. This waterfall effect drags 50-75% of the water down with the stream, leaving only a couple puddles for you to dry. Note: The sheathing method only works if your paint is properly waxed/sealed. It will not sheath otherwise and will just form one huge puddle. It's a good indicator for you too to know when you need a fresh layer of wax
Here's a video:
YouTube - Water sheeting, clean paint

Lastly, a spray wax is a great way to add lubrication and protection while drying your vehicle. I find it the easiest to do right after a wash w/ the sheathing method, before drying. Two quick spritz per panel and dry with a waffle weave or a plush microfiber towel does the trick.

Improper drying techniques is the main cause of scratchs/swirls. The 'washing' of the car is actually safer since theres lubrication when running whatever you are using across the paint.

Note: Don't forget to get under the rear license plate as well as the crevice between the rear window and the trunk. Ain't nothin' worse than having streaks of dirty water run down as soon as you drive off

·
TarmacTSX
1,589 Posts
+1 on the waffle weave. They work well. I also use a black magic drying cloth. Its kind of like a Chamoi, it stays moist and you keep it in a tube.
Since my car is black as well, I am pretty satisfied with the results 100%.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
9,337 Posts
wong pretty much hit the nail on the head. I would follow his advice, the sheeting method is great and MF are the best to use regarding drying.

·
Registered
5 Posts

THIS... scratched my car. Its like a flat piece of rubber. I was a little concerned before I used it and then the oddly placed scratches on my car confirmed my suspicions. The second pic above with the waffle weave is absolutely the best I've ever used. I hate microfiber too. Doesn't take off the water quickly enough for me but is very good for polishing and getting small water spots up after the main drying is done. Do NOT use "The Absorber" if you value your paint. It's garbage. Waffle weave, polishing cloths and a couple of microfiber towels work wonders.

·
Low Is A Lifestyle
4,116 Posts
yeah..
if you washed it well then sheeting should be no problem only leaving a few areas with water. in which case you can use a waffel weave towel or shamois.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use a water filter (GE Household Water Filtration Unit - GXWH04F at The Home Depot) and then wash my car next to the garage in semi-shade. I use a California T-Bar to get 80% of the water off, and a Lamb Skin Shammy for the rest. Lamb skin cost betwwen $10-20 but hold 3 times more water than synthetic towels and shammys. It also does not Scratch the car one bit. Soak it for a minute in water, making sure every bit is wet, it should feel slippery and baby soft to the touch, Ring-out, and your good to go. Professional detailers only use Lamb skin.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts