Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
another small earthquake this morning.

I am glad that we are getting these small earthquake once a while or very often. More small earthquake, then the chance of having a big one is minimized :festive:

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Zigen said:
small? 6.8 or something like that!
it is not considered that big and it was 6.1 I believe. And epic center is not that close... west of vancouver island. I did not feel that because I was ddddddddd2

7 or above is big. To read the scale... go up 1, the energy is 10 times more.
so... 6 or 7 may only seems like one step but the energy difference is actually 10 times. magnitude of 8 = total destruction.

·
yes, i am a bitch
2,502 Posts
SAZABI said:
it is not considered that big and it was 6.1 I believe. And epic center is not that close... west of vancouver island. I did not feel that because I was ddddddddd2

7 or above is big. To read the scale... go up 1, the energy is 10 times more.
so... 6 or 7 may only seems like one step but the energy difference is actually 10 times. magnitude of 8 = total destruction.
i didn't felt it either but i think ppl on vancouver island would felt a greater impact...

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Zigen said:
i didn't felt it either but i think ppl on vancouver island would felt a greater impact...
you were sleeping? I heard people from both Richmond and Coquitlam felt the earthquake.

yes yes... if big one happens... we gonna say bye bye to vancouver island...

·
yes, i am a bitch
2,502 Posts
SAZABI said:
you were sleeping? I heard people from both Richmond and Coquitlam felt the earthquake.

yes yes... if big one happens... we gonna say bye bye to vancouver island...
nothing was shaking in my house...it would be nice to experience it...:)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
Zigen said:
small? 6.8 or something like that!
Thats not really small, it can be felt...but many must have been sleeping and didn't take much notice of it. Others could have thought it was some truck or train going by. :donno:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
2004_Acura_TSX said:
Thats not really small.....
Right -- 6 is pretty big.

When I said "another school of thought," what I meant was that there's probably also a theory that when you get "small" ones (or whatever), it can indicate that others are to follow, including bigger ones.

But as I said, I think Saz's theory sounds right.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
I survived the Rattle in Seattle (6.9) in Feb. 2001...that scared the crap out of me. The office building I was (2nd floor) in was shaking like crazy, it sounded like a huge jack hammer, airplane models hanging for the ceiling were jumping all over the place (I was working at Boeing at the time) and the vertical blinds on the big office windows were swinging back and forth like a blade of grass in the wind. It lasted like 30-45 seconds and I certainly hope that is the biggest and last earthquake I ever experience! :)

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
6.1 is small. If you want to compared that to the one in Seattle. it is almost 10 times less energy compared to 6.9.

Structures may go thru minor shear failures at 6... I believe most structure can withstand that load. Disater starting 7.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i felt it here in richmond...i thought it was just me starting to slide on the couch while watching tv, then i noticed that my bottle of green tea was starting to move...haha... :wiggle:

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Endless said:
i felt it here in richmond...i thought it was just me starting to slide on the couch while watching tv, then i noticed that my bottle of green tea was starting to move...haha... :wiggle:
hee... Endless not sleeping at 1am? How was it compared to the one we felt up here when there was an earthquake in Seattle?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Endless said:
And y'all say 6.1 isn't "big." :D

It depends on what the meaning of "big" is. :nod:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts