Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

Sorry for the newbie question but my engine light came on a few days ago and when i scanned it, it threw a coolant temperature sensor code. Car will also overheat if left idling for 10min+. The second i try to erase the code it immediately comes back on within seconds. I tried looking for it but cant seem to find it :donno:

Anyone able to point me in the general direction as to where it is ?
Thanks in advance

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
^06-08? Is it P2185? ECT sensor 2?

I've been having this code plague me for the last 2 months. Code comes on and goes away after 2-3 starts (Check emissions system warning).

Car if left idling starts to overheat. I haven't had time to deal with this, so if I see the gauge even start to rise up the slightest bit, turn on the A/C on full blast, fan kicks on, temp drops back down right away.

BTW, ECT2 sensor is located at the bottom of the radiator, drivers side. Many Accord people have issues with this sensor, either the harness/connector starts to erode or the sensor itself goes bad..theres a TSB out on 06 accords. Just google "accord 2185", prepare to see tons of results. Theres only like 1 post on here with this issue other than yours.

04-05 TSX's had a fan switch, 06-08 have sensors..the part itself costs $27, it will require the radiator to be drained as well as the sensor plugs into the radiator.

Hope this helped. Let me know if you fixed the issue. I plan to tackle it soon.

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
UPDATE:

Your thread motivated me to start taking action, so ordered the following 2 pieces from OEM Acura Parts:

* 37870-RAA-A01-Acura - SENSOR ASSY., WATER TEMPERATURE (PANASONIC): $25.22

*91307-PLC-004-Acura - O-RING (9.5X1.9) (MATSUSHITA): $1.39

With shipping it came out to be $34.64. Get the O-ring as well, as after 5-6 years it can deteriorate.

On an unrelated parallel, also got some bumper clips since I broke 80% of mine :laugh:.

Good luck, will post my experiences after install. Have a gallon of OEM Antifreeze sitting in my closet as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes thats the code !! I'm not alone lol :woowoo:
And thank you for all the info, im going to tackle it as well as soon as i can. It's annoying, and took me forever just to find that damn sensor.
Also thank you for the part numbers i'm gonna run to acura tomorrow and order them. :)

Will update soon

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
************FINAL UPDATE************

Sensor came in today and installed it! On a lift, took 10 minutes, really simple. Bought some ebay generic clips too so took the opportunity to revive my sagging splash shields, lol.

So it turns out much like the issue with accords, the pins on the sensor were corroded. I guess at night I couldn't notice it, but heres how bad it was:

As you can see, clearly one of the pins has corrosion.

Heres a shot of it out of the car:

After installing, refilled with OEM coolant, and erased the codes. Did some spirited driving on the freeway and then let it idle for 15 minutes, gauge did not budge at all, and yes fans kicked in. So all in all a $25 sensor did the trick! Thankfully no harness tracing or testing was needed!

Final note, even though it doesn't state it, the new sensor came with an o-ring, so don't buy it! Save the $1 lol.

·
Registered
35 Posts
************FINAL UPDATE************

Sensor came in today and installed it! On a lift, took 10 minutes, really simple. Bought some ebay generic clips too so took the opportunity to revive my sagging splash shields, lol.

So it turns out much like the issue with accords, the pins on the sensor were corroded. I guess at night I couldn't notice it, but heres how bad it was:

thanks,

As you can see, clearly one of the pins has corrosion.

Heres a shot of it out of the car:

After installing, refilled with OEM coolant, and erased the codes. Did some spirited driving on the freeway and then let it idle for 15 minutes, gauge did not budge at all, and yes fans kicked in. So all in all a $25 sensor did the trick! Thankfully no harness tracing or testing was needed!

Final note, even though it doesn't state it, the new sensor came with an o-ring, so don't buy it! Save the $1 lol.

is there a relay that connects to the ECT sensor?

i'm looking at the one on my car but I don't see a relay connection just the ECT without anything attached to it.

·
Registered
652 Posts
^06-08? Is it P2185? ECT sensor 2?

I've been having this code plague me for the last 2 months. Code comes on and goes away after 2-3 starts (Check emissions system warning).

Car if left idling starts to overheat. I haven't had time to deal with this, so if I see the gauge even start to rise up the slightest bit, turn on the A/C on full blast, fan kicks on, temp drops back down right away.

BTW, ECT2 sensor is located at the bottom of the radiator, drivers side. Many Accord people have issues with this sensor, either the harness/connector starts to erode or the sensor itself goes bad..theres a TSB out on 06 accords. Just google "accord 2185", prepare to see tons of results. Theres only like 1 post on here with this issue other than yours.

04-05 TSX's had a fan switch, 06-08 have sensors..the part itself costs $27, it will require the radiator to be drained as well as the sensor plugs into the radiator.

Hope this helped. Let me know if you fixed the issue. I plan to tackle it soon.
I am so glad this thread exists and you have the answers. I've also had this problem for the past month. Is this an easy process to DIY? I plan on buying the part from the dealer in a few weeks.

·
DiRTBAG Jose!
1,306 Posts
^^great post din9leberry!I'm having issues with my coolant gauge rising when idling .I'm going to inspect the sensor and replace it if i have to.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Damn you P2185. Had the code for 4 months now. Switched out the sensor and cleared the CES light. Still on. Haven't had the time to check the wiring and such.

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Chicago
1,706 Posts
hate bringing back old threads but didn't want to make another new one on this topic...

Just got this code last night, coolant level is just below max, i have TB by pass, drove it around, didn't idle it really but the coolant gauge went up like normal and stayed in the normal range, i haven't noticed the fan come on.
weird thing is - after a few starts and the OBDII check, the check emissions system warning has GONE AWAY!

any ideas? sounds like a corroded sensor to me...
i've read a few threads so far where its been covered under warranty, anyone done it recently?

TIA!

·
Registered
652 Posts
I forgot how much it cost me but I just bought another sensor and put it in myself. Didn't fix it at all but it disappears for a few months, will come back on for a week, then disappears for another few months. I've learned to live with it. Car runs absolutely fine.

·
Registered
652 Posts
True, well if it makes you feel any better I drove 2-3 hours out to HT8 from my town and 3 hours back with that code on with no issues. I know how you feel though, it can be annoying seeing that light on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts