Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys
Looks like I may need an ECU for my 05 TSX I recently acquired. I have been reading through the forum trying to determine what the best route is to replace it. Most of the threads I have found are about upgrading ecu units so the car can be modded. So not sure if all the information applies to me because mine is completely stock.
The ECU shuts off randomly. Sometimes while you are driving it. When it shuts down and dies my scanner will not communicate to the ECU. Sometimes I can let it set for a few hours and it will work again and start. When it does that the scanner connects and there are no codes. I found there was a recall for this with similar symptoms and I am in a state that was listed on the recall but my VIN is not included and Acura will not budge on it at all. I have spoken to the local dealer and asked if they could reprogram a used ECU for me but they act as though that is impossible to do and I am not about to purchase a new ECU from them and have it installed (should have been under the recall as far as I am concerned).
So that leaves me with the option of purchasing one online, at Ebay or at a salvage yard. From what I have gathered reading various threads here on the forum it would have to be sent off and be programmed to my Vin number along with the keys and immobilizer (I think). Is there another option that is plug and play? I spoke to a guy at a company called Module Experts and he said he could send me one that was plug and play but I am not sure that would work after what I have read here. If sending it to say Hondata for reprogramming is just for the immobilizer and keys to be synced up could I just install a used one and unplug the immobilizer and eliminate it? Or does a used one have to be programmed for my car/VIN before it will work at all?
Thanks Dwayne

·
Registered
17 Posts
You'll need to have a new one reprogrammed (how you acquire one is up to you, all of those options are feasible). As far as I know, that's unavoidable. A dealership would certainly be the least painful option (to reprogram, not to buy one), and it shouldn't be too expensive either.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Contact sergebo. I believe he can get you one with the immobilizer disabled so you can just plug it in and be good to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts