Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had our car since November with no problems at all, but recently squeaks have started to emerge.

One sounds like styrofoam rubbing against styrofoam and it's come from the console in the center which houses the gear shift.

There is also a slight rattle in the drivers side window.

Anyone else have similar issues?

Isabel

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Have you brought your car to the dealership to have the issues addressed? There are a few threads about squeaks in-cabin. So yes, it is quite a fairly common concern.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Noel said:
Have you brought your car to the dealership to have the issues addressed? There are a few threads about squeaks in-cabin. So yes, it is quite a fairly common concern.
Not as yet, but I am planning to. I will have to check out the messages regarding squeaks!

Thanks for the feedback!

Isabel

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
I don't recall that we've heard of anything exactly like this -- squeaks coming from that place.

The closest, I think, was this:

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2915&highlight=squeak+squeaks

Which actually turned out to be a bit funny. (Especially since the punch line may have been the answer.)

In any event, I think this sounds like one of the less difficult squeaks/rattles to get solved. I'd bet that your Acura service can take care of it on the first try.

(Some of the rattle problems have needed multiple tries.)

P.S. Please let us know, Isabel!

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
the noises...do you get them all the time or at high speed ?

I have buzzing noises fromthe front passenger speaker at > 70 mph

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
I used to have squeaks on my passengerside dash... I might have called them rattles... (you might get better results searching for rattles)

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
isabel95 said:
We've had our car since November with no problems at all, but recently squeaks have started to emerge.

One sounds like styrofoam rubbing against styrofoam and it's come from the console in the center which houses the gear shift.

Isabel
You mentioned a squeak in the gear shifter...do you have an automatic or manual TSX?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Squeak in housing for gear shift...

Automatic...perhaps I'm using the wrong terminology, but since we often shift gears in our hilly area...I use "gear shift".
Isabel

pocketkiller said:
You mentioned a squeak in the gear shifter...do you have an automatic or manual TSX?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Squeaks/Rattles

Good idea. Thanks!
Isabel

TSX 'R' US said:
I used to have squeaks on my passengerside dash... I might have called them rattles... (you might get better results searching for rattles)

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
isabel95 said:
Automatic...perhaps I'm using the wrong terminology, but since we often shift gears in our hilly area...I use "gear shift".
Isabel
I have the same problem with my automatic gear shifter...is it the silver plastic piece making the noise as well as the edges encasing it? I had my dealer rip out and replace the whole system as well as add more felt padding to the area. They told me that there was a thin layer of felt that came from the factory, however it can easily get worn out. They replaced it with thicker felt, and it fixed the problem, but only for about 2 weeks. I still need to go back to them.

G

·
0 Posts
I've had my TSX since April and I also have a few rattles/squeaks. I seem to get a real annoying rattle/squeak from the steering column, and also one that seems to be coming from the post that houses the seat belt behind the driver's seat. I have a service appt. on Weds. the 1st so I'm hoping it gets fixed. My concern is once they start looking for rattles, more become apparent or the rattle doesn't happen during the service test drive. After owning previous Acura's and Honda's rattles and squeaks shouldn't be occuring in this quality of vehicle. I expect them in my Tahoe, but not my TSX.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lots of responses to this thread!

Actually not a good sign! Sorry to hear that so many have had problems with squeaks and rattles.

This TSX replaced a Geo Prism that was well aged. Ran like a top and was loaded with pep, but just got too noisy from squeaks and rattles to put up with!

Don't want this to be a case of "deja vu all over again!"

Isabel

gsanda said:
I've had my TSX since April and I also have a few rattles/squeaks. I seem to get a real annoying rattle/squeak from the steering column, and also one that seems to be coming from the post that houses the seat belt behind the driver's seat. I have a service appt. on Weds. the 1st so I'm hoping it gets fixed. My concern is once they start looking for rattles, more become apparent or the rattle doesn't happen during the service test drive. After owning previous Acura's and Honda's rattles and squeaks shouldn't be occuring in this quality of vehicle. I expect them in my Tahoe, but not my TSX.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
isabel95 said:
Actually not a good sign! Sorry to hear that so many have had problems with squeaks and rattles.

This TSX replaced a Geo Prism that was well aged. Ran like a top and was loaded with pep, but just got too noisy from squeaks and rattles to put up with!

Don't want this to be a case of "deja vu all over again!"

Isabel
Yes, the "rattles" problem has been VERY prevalent on the TSX, at least the '04's -- it'll be interested to see if the problem is greatly reduced on the '05's.

(Why didn't I say "eliminated"? Because probably NO production is totally free of rattles/squeaks.)

Polls and relevant threads on the TSX sites have seemed to show that MOST of the TSX's have rattles. We have no idea how accurate that is -- for example, it's very likely that people WITH rattles are more likely to come onto the sites and talk about it. But even if it's not a majority or close to that, there's no doubt that it's a very prevalent problem.

I've had a definite impression that the problem has become LESS prevalent as the model year has gone on.

P.S. I traded an '03 TL-S for my TSX after I'd had it for just a year. There were a couple of reasons I was thrilled to get rid of the TL-S.
One of them was.....RATTLES!

Yes, I got a TSX partly to get rid of a car that had rattles.
BTW mine is a "no rattles" TSX. :bowdown:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Follow up to dealer service for squeak

...and I quote from the $0.00 invoice from Apple Tree Acura in Fletcher, NC:

"The tech confirmed the squeak from the cneter console shifter area. The tech removed the console and applied EPT around the shifter plate to reduce squeak. He tested again and all is okay at this time."

Along with our service we received a complimentary car wash and front floor vacuum.

On the ride home my husband heard no squeak. I will test it tomorrow.

Isabel

isabel95 said:

Isabel

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
Yes I had the exact same fix done. It will work for about a week or so, but sooner rather than later, it will squeak again. I'm bringing mine in for a second time next week.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry to hear that!

Thanks for sharing this...it will give us some ammunition if we have to go back.

Isabel

pocketkiller said:
Yes I had the exact same fix done. It will work for about a week or so, but sooner rather than later, it will squeak again. I'm bringing mine in for a second time next week.

·
Registered
49 Posts
TSX 'R' US said:
You USED to? What fixed it? My brand new TSX just started rattling near the drivers side window when I hit a bump...
I need to call the dealer and get it resolved, it bugs me a bunch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Besides the squeaking in the center console near the gear shift, which they have resolved (at least temporarily according to what I've read here), we have also had a rattle in the left door...seeming to come from the window assembly.

If we all share our rattles and squeaks we might begin to see patterns and help each other to get these situations resolved.

Isabel

Isabel

·
Owner May2003
25 Posts
Re: Squeak from driver's side window

I get a squeaking noise and fairly loud sometimes when I open my driver's side window. As it slides open, it sometimes squeaks very loudly. I notice this happens if I haven't opened it in awhile (and was parked in the garage) or if my TSX has been in the sun for awhile.
Any ideas how to fix this?
I'm planning to see my dealer for any suggestions or fixes. It sounds terrible when it squeaks.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
dlai said:
Re: Squeak from driver's side window

I get a squeaking noise and fairly loud sometimes when I open my driver's side window. As it slides open, it sometimes squeaks very loudly. I notice this happens if I haven't opened it in awhile (and was parked in the garage) or if my TSX has been in the sun for awhile.
Any ideas how to fix this?
I'm planning to see my dealer for any suggestions or fixes. It sounds terrible when it squeaks.
Me2.

It first happened about a month ago (I got the car in Apr. '03), and it happens on-and-off.
It's exactly what dlai said -- just the driver side window, and for some reason just when you open it, not when you close it.
It's a VERY loud squeak, so loud that squeak might not be the right word; kind of a "grinding squeak."

I'm due for my next servicing soon, and will mention it.

I don't mind the sound of it as much as I'm concerned that it means something's wrong and that the window might just stop working.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts