Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am at the end of my rope with this car...
please help before I do something crazy like trade it in on an IS250.

Since December, car has been draining the battery at a pretty quick rate. We only drive the car about 10 miles a day, so I think this might not be quite enough to keep the battery charged. After a few poor attempts at diagnosing the car at a mechanic, I finally did some research and realized I needed to take things into my own hands. We finally made the correlation between heavy rain storms and dead batteries.
Weird, but there is definately some water getting into the cabin and the carpet is wet behind the drivers seat and possibly under the driver's seat. I know there's lots of wires and a box under the seat. I researched extensively on the water leak issue with TSXii and could not find a solution. checked sunroof drains and trunk, all seemed fine. opened up door panels and checked the weep holes. all seem fine.

I finally got and figured out how to use a multimeter. amperage was actually at 900-1200 mA.!! yikes. Started pulling fuses in the engine bay, and got it down to 56 mA when I pulled the acc/back-up fuse. I think this fuse actually is the master to the interior fuse box and started pulling fuses from the upper row and worked my way down.

interior light fuse pulled dropped draw down to 356 mA. next fuse over "back up" dropped it down to 56mA. So, i pulled all the lights out of the interior and it still draws ~900mA when I put that fuse in. and i have no idea how to troubleshoot the "back-up" fuse. any guidance or recommendations on what type of shop I should take the car to would be great. i'm :bill: please help

as of now, i've got the draw down to 56mA but don't have interior lights or pretty much anything else in the interior. nav,remote,dash lights, etc don't work because of the "back up" fuse being pulled.

·
iVTEC no koe
1,913 Posts
What's the rating on the fused you pulled and if possible, please let me know the exact location of the fuse. I can get you a diagram of all related components on that fuse. Pretty sure I know which one it is, but better to have confirmation. Should be able to post the diagram tonight/early tmrw.

·
, Moderator, Performance
2,513 Posts
well the water could be coming from your moon roof drain lines, if there clogged up ive heard of water getting in all kinds of places from this. test each pipe on a dry day by pooring a glass of water near each hole. you should see it drain in 4 spots under the car(i think its 4 on our car)

its possible that there is a leak in the floor of the car also, i doubt it but its worth a looking at.

Im lost with your amp readings? as they are in mA not A so 900mA is equal to .9A which is the same as your cell phone battery. our oem batteries are known to cause issues the suck, your best bet is to get an optima.

otherwise im not exactly sure what your problem is:/

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies! i'm going to try spraying more water on the car at a car wash and see if i can find the exact spot of water ingress.
the 2 fuses that i had to pull are both in the interior footwell
#6 is 10a and called "interior light"
#7 is 10a and called "back up"

·
iVTEC no koe
1,913 Posts
Good luck tracking down the culprit. Here are the scans:

Fuse #6:
Ambient light Ceiling light, Audio unit, Courtesy lights, Homelink, Map light, Trunk light Vanity mirror lights

Fuse #7:
Combination switch control unit, Gauge control module, Immobilizer control unit-receiver, Navigation display unit, Navigation unit

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the schematics.
ugh.
i think the car is done for.
shame.
not the best relationship i've ever had...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, i'll be a son of a gun.
my PCB went out in the cd changer/stereo part of the navi. this caused the following issues:
center console lights dim
no audio from radio
no audio from cd
constant 900 mA draw and dead batteries

took to acura dealer after third party helped me narrow the battery drain to the cd player module. car was just barely under the center console light extended warranty. thanks for all the help people! $192 was the price if warranty wasn't honored. woohoo! now i don't have to get rid of a perfectly good car!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts