Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody experienced this before? When in Park, the engine idles smoothly with no noticeable noise however, when shifting to Drive it starts clicking/knocking. Could it be timing chain?

It's 07 with 250,000 km.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Anybody experienced this before? When in Park, the engine idles smoothly with no noticeable noise however, when shifting to Drive it starts clicking/knocking. Could it be timing chain?

It's 07 with 250,000 km.
Please visit this thread where someone else had the same issue as I was having, I went on to resolve my issue. Replaced Timing chain, tensioner and guides but wasn't the issue.

Ended up being the Oil pump(balance Shaft) tensioner causing the issue.

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-problems-fixes/150698-engine-rattle-during-idle.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dealer said there are 2 sources for the rattle - 1) replacement needed for timing chain tensioner and 2) replacement needed for air conditioning compressor.

Apparently, changing the tensioner will significantly reduce the rattle. And was told that I can still run without changing the compressor for now.

Does this make any sense to you?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Dealer said there are 2 sources for the rattle - 1) replacement needed for timing chain tensioner and 2) replacement needed for air conditioning compressor.

Apparently, changing the tensioner will significantly reduce the rattle. And was told that I can still run without changing the compressor for now.

Does this make any sense to you?
Did you read through the thread I mentioned?

Ask them how they determined this to be the sources of the noise.

Does the noise change with the AC on and compressor clutch engaged?

Take the accessory belt off and see if noise is still there.

They are able to check the tensioner if you are unable to, ask them if they did this.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm confused kind of. Is the noise "clicking", "rattling" or "knocking"?
All 3 of these are different sounds that could be tied to totally different things. I'm sure the tensioner is getting tired with that many miles but without hearing a video, it'd be hard to diagnose. Knocking definitely isn't good while the clicking could be valves. Rattling would lead me towards the tensioner but it's very subjective without hearing. Keep us posted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.